“Modern hotel with good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6317 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Saving 20% on Suites
Ranked #49 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Den Bosch
“Modern hotel with good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Hotel Wilshire for two nights last summer at the end of our Southwest USA trip.

The first thing we noticed about the hotel (from the outside while driving up to it) is how modern and stylish it looks. Of course, the hotel is still relatively new (at the time of writing, it doesn't exist on Google Maps Street View) so that explains a lot. This style continues inside the hotel as well, with a nice-looking lobby and very nice rooms (and bathrooms). For me personally, this matched quite well with the expectations you have of LA before visiting. The beds were also very comfortable and free WiFi was available in the room.

The rooftop pool and bar is simply stunning (there's a reason it has appeared as a meeting spot in some reality TV shows over the past couple of years). You are provided with a great view of Los Angeles area (including the "Hills" and the Hollywood Sign)! I ventured to the rooftop on the first night we were there and did find myself feeling a tad bit uncomfortable as it seemed like the rooftop was full of models in fancy clothes drinking cocktails... but if that sounds appealing to you, I'd go for it. We returned the following morning and the vibe was much more laid-back.

There is mandatory valet parking at the hotel at a charge. If that's not your thing, you'll have a hard time finding affordable parking nearby. We were reluctant at first but decided to agree to the valet parking in the end as it seemed like the safest and cheapest option. We didn't regret it though, as the attendants were friendly and provided good service.

We appreciated the service at the front desk as well. Due to this being at the end of our month-long trip of the Southwest, our credit cards were apparently near maxed out when we attempted to check in. The ladies at the front desk were understanding though and agreed for us to pay a deposit in cash and to pay the rest at check-out time, which worked out fine.

As for the location of the hotel, it depends on what you're looking for. You're across the street from a Subway (for a quick breakfast) and a few blocks away from the LA Brea tar pits. You're also only a 15-minute walk away from The Grove (outside mall) and next to that, the Farmer's Market (an abundance of options for a meal or a snack), with a large Whole Foods across the street from them. West Hollywood is also only a short car drive away.

However, if you'd like to visit (e.g.) Venice Beach and Santa Monica often during your stay, this might not be your best option as thanks to LA traffic, it takes far longer to get there than you'd expect. I do believe the Hotel Wilshire is a fine 'home base' though if you'd like to visit different parts of the outstretched LA area over several days without having to drive too far to reach your destination of the day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here with my husband in May 2013 for 2 nights.

The hotel is clean modern and the rooms more than adequate. Terrible water pressure for showers though.

Wifi was free when we joined the hotel club.

Staff at the front desk were so friendly and helpful.

Location of hotel is good (given this is LA) provided you want to stay away from Hollywood and the main strip. Although it might seem that there is not much around the hotel - nothing in immediate vicinity- the hotel is comfortable walking distance to the grove and the great farmers market and also the Beverly Centre. About $15 to $20 taxi ride to Hollywood Boulevard (around Chinese theatre area).

Check out the roof top bar which has great views of LA. Only downside we had dinner there second night and the food was just ok. The service was awful. Avoid.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was travelling to LA quite a bit last year and this hotel was my preferred hotel of choice. Where I have to admit that I can't pick out any one thing that this hotel does outstanding, it is a good all around balanced hotel. Convenient location, very reasonably priced, clean and spacious rooms, nice ambiance at the restaurant upstairs . . . the view out of most of the rooms is mediocre at best, but the view from the rooftop restaurant and pool is great, especially at sunset.

Room Tip: I don't remember room number sequences, but ask for a front facing room or a room all the way ba...
Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Wilshire for 3 nights. Overall it was an enjoyable stay. Staff was friendly. Room was modern, bathroom was big. Not much of a view from our room, which oversaw the carpark. Carpet was also a bit dirty. Had requested a higher floor room but no luck on this stay. Amenities where good. Room was cleaned on time. Found the valet parking quite steep in price but right next door, there is a private car park where u can park with in/out privileges for $12/Day.

Although we didn't get a chance to use the roof top pool/bar, we did go up to see it and was impressed with the design.

There is also an McDonald's about 50m away. Closest grocery store is about 2min drive.

Overall an enjoyable stay. Nothing that particularly stood out nor was anything bad.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor room not facing the back car park.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Traveler,

I'm so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay, but next time we hope to truly wow you! I'm happy to hear that you found our amenities to be well appointed and that you enjoyed the hotel's design. If you do come back for a return visit, I hope you can spend some time up at our rooftop and enjoy the delicious food and great views. We hope you will keep us in mind for your future travels to LA!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Kimpton Hotels seem to have found there niche of having a very modern, updated and comfortable setting for their hotels. This is one of the most comfortable hotels I've been in LA. Now, it's not super fancy like some others, and I wouldn't put it in the luxury category, but still - very modern, very nice.

Staff seems friendly for LA, which means indifferent by southern standards, and positively cold by midwest standards.

Nice pool and bar setup, but not much of a lobby/waiting area. No gym, but they will give you a complementary pass to an LA Fitness down the street (which doesn't look like its been updated since the 70's or when Lou Ferrigno was popular).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Traveler,

We are on a mission! That mission is to change the perception that LA hotels are not as warm and friendly as in other parts of the country. I'm glad you found our staff to be genuine and service oriented but next time we hope to exceed your expectations even more! Although our lobby is on the smaller side, we consider ourselves to be small and intimate, but mighty nonetheless! We hope that you'll come back and visit us again so we can continue to show you what makes the Hotel Wilshire a special place to be.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I recently stayed at The Hotel Wilshire for business. I usually stay at the Kimpton (Hotel Palomar) in Westwood, but I wanted to check out the new property. It's tucked away in an odd spot, but I loved this place. It's a quick drive to the Grove and Farmers Market, the Beverly Center, West Hollywood, and everything else. The location is great. But the real amazing feature is the rooftop pool and restaurant. I used to take friends visiting to the top level of the parking garage at the Grove because it has such an amazing view and way to show people all the parts of LA. Now, I can just take them to the roof of the Hotel Wilshire.

I had a great room with a wonderful view of the Hollywood sign. As usual, the restaurant was delicious, the service was top notch, and the room was well designed and well appointed.

My only complaint is the hotel doesn't have a fitness center on site. You get to use the LA Fitness a few blocks down the street which is a full gym, but it is convenient when the fitness center is on site. They are planning on adding one eventually.

Room Tip: See if you can get a view of the Hollywood sign.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Traveler,

It's so great to get a positive review from a Kimpton loyalist! I'm so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stays at the Palomar and have now discovered the new Kimpton in town! And I totally agree - our rooftop is indeed a gem! It's a real hidden oasis in the middle of LA. But all of this would mean nothing if the team did not deliver that top notch service, so that is what we strive for with each and every guest. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come back and visit us soon.

Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The rooms are small but nicely done. Comfortable beds for sure. No bathtub though. The bathrooms are great however. I could hear the couple above me in the morning. Not cool. I only stayed one night and got in late so I can't say much more. I did enjoy the snacks. Overall it was a good value and a nice, clean place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Although you were only with us for a brief stay, I'm so glad that you found our bathrooms well designed and you enjoyed a peaceful night's sleep in our comfortable beds. I'm so sorry that you were then disturbed by noise from the room upstairs! I do hope that we will see you again and that you can stay for longer next time. You'll definitely need to check out our rooftop and hopefully partake in our evening Wine Hour. That way you can get the full Hotel Wilshire experience! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly when your travels bring you back to LA.

Ashley Gochnauer

Been to The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!