“Newly updated rooms, small but comfortable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6317 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Saving 20% on Suites
Ranked #49 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Barbara, California
“Newly updated rooms, small but comfortable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The rooms are small but nicely done. Comfortable beds for sure. No bathtub though. The bathrooms are great however. I could hear the couple above me in the morning. Not cool. I only stayed one night and got in late so I can't say much more. I did enjoy the snacks. Overall it was a good value and a nice, clean place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Although you were only with us for a brief stay, I'm so glad that you found our bathrooms well designed and you enjoyed a peaceful night's sleep in our comfortable beds. I'm so sorry that you were then disturbed by noise from the room upstairs! I do hope that we will see you again and that you can stay for longer next time. You'll definitely need to check out our rooftop and hopefully partake in our evening Wine Hour. That way you can get the full Hotel Wilshire experience! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly when your travels bring you back to LA.

Ashley Gochnauer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

First of all I was somewhat reluctant to stay at Hotel Wilshire. While traveling alone I have specific requirements I like to fulfill. Namely, I like to be away from the elevators and noise and have a room with a nice deep soaking tub. Previous reviewers said the rooms were a little small So i opted for a larger room or suite. But Cesar was very helpful in letting me know which rooms would best suit me. I became aware that the larger suites were close to the elevators, didn't have large soaking tubs or were overlooking Wilshire Boulevard, which tends to be a bit noisy.

I couldn't have been more happy with my choice of room. It had a nice view of the mountains and was far away from any noisy elevators or crowds. (Room 611)
It had a nice large soaking tub, which was perfect for hoofing it all day around town. To make my stay even more comfortable Cesar surprised me with a fruit plate and a bottle of red wine. What I loved most about this gesture was the fact that, as a native Californian, along with strawberries and other fruit, there was a fresh cactus apple and a lychee fruit. I loved growing up in California and having all of these wonderful fruits available to me, but rarely get to enjoy now.

I didn't have much experience with the restaurant, Other than hanging around the pool later in the afternoon after all the younger people left or grabbed tables for something to eat. I was there for about an hour before one of the waitresses finally stopped and asked if I might want a menu. I have traveled alone extensively throughout my life, though I am currently married with the family. I am still shocked that a person traveling alone is rarely acknowledged, unless, of course, they are a man. It took quite a while for the staffer to bring me a drink, And I had to hunt people down to ask for a check. I finally gave up and went to my room then called up to the restaurant to let them know I had ordered a drink. Had the waitress acknowledged my presence she would have realized that I tip well. So it seems the restaurant is living up to its questionable reputation on TA.

I would certainly stay at the hotel again. It was comfortable, cozy, very clean, in a very convenient location and the staff at the front desk was very helpful.

As for parking I took a tip from trip advisor to park in a lot nearby. Arriving on Friday I paid $10 just down the block The parking attendant added that the weekend would be free since nobody parks in the lot during that time.

• Stayed May 2013
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Traveler,

It's great to see one of our employees' names up in lights! Cesar is a stellar member of our Front Desk team, so I'm so happy that he took good care of you during your recent stay and assisted in finding the perfect room. On a different note, I am so sorry that you were not promptly acknowledged up at the Roof. I can completely relate to how frustrating that can be, so I deeply apologize that you had this experience. I have shared your comments with our restaurant team and they take this feedback to heart since we aim to give our guests amazing service from start to finish. So glad however that you found the Front Desk staff to be friendly and accommodating. I truly hope we can host you on your next visit to LA.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was on the small side, but plenty large for just me. One of the cleanest rooms I have had in recent travel. On the downside, it is a pretty dark room at night, even with all of the lights on. Also, the gym is too far away to be useful. Didn't have the time to go the 3-4 blocks to get there and back before having to leave for a meeting. Overall, I enjoyed this boutique hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Traveler,

I love to see comments complimenting our staff! At the end of the day, it's those personal connections that really make the difference. And to hear that the room was the cleanest of all your recent hotel experiences....WOW! That is amazing feedback that I will be sure to share with our hard working Housekeeping team! I am terribly sorry that you found your room to be a bit on the dim side. Please let me know if you plan to return (we hope you do!) and I will personally see to it that you receive a bright and sunny room!

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Ashley
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We recently spent three nights here. Conveniently located close to Downtown and West Hollywood. Valet parking is easy and they bring our car very quickly. The rooms are nicely appointed, as are the bathrooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Traveler,

I love seeing these 5-star reviews! I couldn't agree more regarding the location - we are conveniently nestled between Downtown, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and West Hollywood. Just a quick drive (or walk!) from the best sights in LA. I'm also so happy to hear that you enjoyed your room. I agree they are quite comfortable and well appointed!

We hope to see you again soon,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Let me start by saying that I really appreciate the deep discount at checkout. Here's the list: 1) no gym, 2) no pay-per-view movies, 3) rooftop restaurant had almost zero indoor seating..smog with dinner, 4) Low volume on TV (controlled intentionally, because the walls are thin), 5) short seat toilet, 6) they put milk in my oatmeal in the morning, because that's just the way they serve oatmeal. They sent up a new one. 7) the reading light on one side of the bed must be turned on and off at a wall switch. Minor inconveniences, but I made big squawk and they gave me a nice discount. Walking distance to the LA County Museum made the stay very acceptable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Traveler,

This is a major bummer for us to see a review like this! I'm so sorry that our hotel was not quite what you had in mind. I'm glad however that you felt the Front Desk somewhat made up for your concerns upon check-out and that you found the hotel to be centrally located. If you do have a change of heart about the hotel in the future, we hope you'll give us another try!

Wayne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

First time and didn't know what to expect just that I wanted a location walking distance to my mtg place. This was a lovely place, friendly people, clean, wine tasting in the lobby every day at 5:30, rooftop dining, quiet, great beds...reminded my on my favorites places I 've stayed at in Germany...Has a Euro feel to it. Great showers!
A definite place for me to stay. Even got a kimpton membership that immediately got me free wifi for entire stay.
A keeper

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Traveler,

I love being compared to your favorite European hotel! What a compliment. I'm so happy to hear that you got to take advantage of our evening Wine Hour and were able to visit the rooftop restaurant and pool. And now that you've signed up for our Kimpton In Touch guest loyalty program, I hope that we'll be seeing more of you!

Lancaster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My recent visit to the Hotel Wilshire, LA was more than expected. It was a pleasure to celebrate with a dear friend at this fabulous boutique hotel. Everything was perfect! The hotel staff went above and beyond to make the celebration memorable. Cesar Garcia, Guest Services Agent was the absolute best. He made excellent recommendation on places to visit, dine and hotel accommodation. He was sincere, very professional and even had a special welcome surprise provided upon our arrival. The room was very accommodating and spacious. Every member of the Wilshire Team was customer service oriented and aimed to please from the welcome team to the rooftop restaurant. It is my pleasure and honor to be a "Kimpton InTouch Member".Again, Cesar and the Palomar Team definitely made a good impression and are part of my decision to continue to be a loyal Kimpton InTouch member. Exceptional Hospitality and Customer Service!The Wilshire definitely made me feel like I was at the TOP of their Special People List, which can definitely be a problem in LA if you are not A List! I look forward to my next visit to LA and my stay at my “home away from home” at yet another Kimpton Property Hotel Wilshire LA. So, if you are looking for a hotel that knows how to set the standard HIGH, make you feel special and appreciated you will find it at Hotel Wilshire.

I just caution you that the location is not the best. However is close to everything: the Grove, Hollywood, Sunset, LACMA.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Traveler,

What an amazing review! To hear that you described your stay as 'perfect' is truly music to our ears! Cesar at the Front Desk is definitely an asset to our hotel, so I'm so glad that you got the chance to meet him. We are a very customer focused team, so getting this kind of validating feedback means that we must be doing something right! I hope that for this reason, the Hotel Wilshire does in fact become your home away from home while in LA.

We look forward to the next time!

Warmest regards,

Ashley Gochnauer

Been to The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!