“Interesting hotel, but not full service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel

Bookmark
You added The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6317 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Saving 20% on Suites
Ranked #48 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas TX
“Interesting hotel, but not full service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel is interesting, with modern designed rooms and public areas. The restaurant by the pool was nice for breakfast, but a bit too busy for getting a drink later in the evening.

The rooms are small - even the upgraded ones are much smaller than a standard chain hotel (marriott, westin, hyatt) and the room charge is still a bit high. Lighting was fine for relaxing but not enough if you need to do any work on a laptop. Also the carpet in my room had a few dark dirt spots. I mentioned it to the front desk who said they would call housekeeping - however it was never cleaned and upon returning from a dinner the spots were there, the carpet not damp (so no attempt to clean even after I asked).

I liked the large shower and overall bathroom design however.

The hotel does not have a gym and while they offer passes to something down the street, that's not very convenient for most people.

The best part was the very friendly and helpful valet staff! Always greated me with a smile, and remembered which little rental car was mine.

Room Tip: try to get upgraded to a suite with more room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thanks so much for your constructive comments....It's through our guests' feedback that we are able to continuously improve. Although it sounds like you experienced some missteps, I'm so glad to hear that the great service came shining through. We hope that you'll come back and visit us. Hopefully next time we will hit a home run and make you a loyal guest for life!

Thanks again,

Ashley Gochnauer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Northam, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights here on way home to Australia and it was a great choice for us. We got an excellent online rate which as well as the newly renovated rooms helped us make the choice to stay here. The rooms are nice, bit on the smaller side but still decent and the bathroom was good. Loved the deep bath but people with mobility issues would have trouble getting in and out for sure.
Be aware that since its fairly new and doesn't have much street frontage, you will need to remember the address of the hotel to give to cab drivers, not one of the many we had knew where the hotel was... You will probably want to catch cabs or the bus to most places, the only place we walked to was The Grove shopping centre. Also even though there's a bike in the lobby for rental, it's actually only one bike, not so good when you're a couple!
The staff on the front desk are great, helpful and accomodating...
We ate dinner once at the rooftop, it was alright, the menu is quite limited but the atmosphere is nice...
All in all, it's a well furnished, newly renovated and well priced hotel that we enjoyed staying at...

• Stayed March 2013
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I'm so glad that you chose the Hotel Wilshire for your recent visit to LA. I see that you noticed our bike in the lobby - we actually have that one for display plus one more (and we plan to get additional bikes this summer!). I apologize that you weren't made aware, since it is a great way to explore the city. I'm also so happy that you received great service from our crew at the desk. They definitely aim to please, so it's wonderful to hear you had a positive experience. And thank you so much for joining us for dinner at the Roof! I've made sure the Chef is aware of your comments regarding the menu, but I agree that with those views, the atmosphere can't be beat!

Thank you so much again for sharing your comments about your recent visit. I hope we can welcome you back on your next trip to LA!

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We found this hotel online at the last minute and were pleased with the quality and cleanliness of our room. The hotel staff were incredibly friendly; when I walked in to check in, a nice woman immediately offered me a glass of wine. Well, hello!

My daughter and I were travelling to look at colleges, and this was a central enough place for us to travel north, east, south and west one day after the next. Unfortunately for us they only had a king bed for the night. We're not exactly sleep compatible (she steals the sheets!) so on the second night we tried a roll-in bed (I don't think they charged me for it) and that worked a little better.

I was grateful that the air conditioning is very quiet and doesn't go on/off all night. Just a constant low fan that was easy to sleep to. Great bathroom and wonderfully large shower head.

And the rooftop is fun; lots of folks out on the roof on Sunday having brunch with friends. We (from the casual Northwest) were in our typical t-shirts and jeans and were put to shame by all the hip fashionistas with their heels and long skirts, and it was fun to see folks dressing up.

For us, the parking next door worked great; much cheaper than the hotel parking and we didn't have any security issues.

Overall, a fine choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent trip to sunny LA! It's great to hear that you arrived during our evening Wine Hour from 5-6pm and were greeted with a complimentary glass of wine - what a way to start your stay! I agree, our Front Desk staff is incredibly friendly and our Housekeeping department does a great job keeping the rooms spic and span. And I'm so glad to hear that you got a chance to make it up to the Roof. With that atmosphere, it truly is the quintessential "LA" experience!

I sincerely hope you will choose the Hotel Wilshire for your next trip to LA. Who knows, perhaps your daughter will choose an LA school and we will get to see lots of you!

Thanks again,

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Whenever my husband and I go on vacation we always try and book at a Kimpton hotel. They know what we like, they always have a really good location and everything we would need. Note that the pool area is more for decoration unless you are comfortable swimming in the middle of a restaurant dining room. The rooftop lounge area is beautiful, fantastic view of the hollywood sign and the whole city, great for a late night drink with good music and nice patio furniture. The food at this restaurant isn't very good though, very bland and not a huge menu.
Parking is another thing I should mention, it was $35 overnight every night plus taxes. Which I suppose given the location is average, but take into account the tips on top of that, it can get pretty expensive.
As with all Kimtons, remember the perks involved with being an intouch member. The complimentary wine tasting every night, the goldfish in your room for your stay, and if you mention its a special even you are celebrating they always take note and do something a little special for you.
The location was quite good, short drive to Sunset, Beverly hills, the grove, rodeo, etc. walking distance to the Pederson Auto museum. For a great and casual bite to eat nearby. Wahoo taco's is right across the street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Traveler,

It's great to see a review from a Kimpton loyalist! We really make an effort to practice intuitive service and provide you with everything you need to make it an enjoyable, and convenient, stay. Although our pool is small, the views from the Roof are truly second to none, so hopefully the atmosphere makes up for any shortcomings. Regarding your comments about the food, I have definitely made our Chef aware, as the team up there takes our guests' feedback to heart and uses it as a tool to improve. I apologize that you found the parking rates to be a bit steep. For whatever it's worth, I assure you our overnight parking rates are comparable (and in many cases lower) than other hotels in the area. I am so glad to hear that as a Kimpton In Touch member, you found all the Kimpton programs to be alive and well at the hotel. I sincerely hope you'll be back for your future travels to LA.

istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel is very central and close to both business areas and local attractions all over the city. The rooms are very spacious, new and clean. The hotel has a very nice roof restaurant&bar with a great view. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Parking is very expensive if you are traveling with a car.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for submitting this review! Our hotel is indeed very centrally located to downtown, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. So glad to hear you had a nice, spacious room and got a chance to visit our beautiful rooftop. Most importantly, it's all about the service so I'm so glad you left with a positive impression of our staff and the service you received.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here to see the sights of LA for the last 3 days of our road trip vacation. The hotel only offers valet parking at 32 dollars a day. I moved our car to the lot next door which offers self parking for 12 dollars a day, no brainer... The staff at the Wilshire are super polite and attentive, I complained about the first room we were given due to an odd odour and also the carpet had obviously not been cleaned. Tommy on reception resolved this matter without question and provided us with an alternative room. Wine is provided between 5pm and 6pm in the lobby which was a nice touch. We found the hop-on-hop-off tour bus stop which is a little walk down Wilshire blvd, using the bus we managed to see the main sights of LA and Santa Barbara beach etc. Beverly hills and Rodeo drive are walkable from the hotel, probably under 2 miles away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Traveler,

I love seeing reviews complimenting our amazing staff! We all definitely work hard to make sure our guests are well taken care of, so hearing that we were polite and attentive means a lot to us. I'm so sorry that the first room you received was not up to par. I am glad to hear, however, that Tommy at the Front Desk was able to quickly recover the situation and move you to another room. Regardless, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this caused. I'm so glad that you got to take advantage of our evening Wine Hour and that you found the location of our hotel to be well suited for sightseeing.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to LA!

ukguyz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had booked this hotel for the last 3 nights of our holiday. We arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon and we pulled into the valet parking. The reception staff were fast and very efficient. The first room we were given has a very strong smell in it and only after we had been in the room for 20 mins did we notice that the floor of the room was not very clean. We contacted reception and the moved us to another room. The rooms are well finished and every room has easy to use controls for air conditioning. The bathroom looked okay but we had a silly deep soaking tub with a shower over it, and this could not be used as the plug did not work properly so we could not use the bath at all. It is also very high so was a little difficult to get out of when you were finished your shower. I also had the same problem with the basin with the plug not closing the drain correctly. The cleaning of the rooms was a little sparce the first morning with only the bed being made and the towels being changed and not a lot else (even the glasses that we had used were still dirty) this was done correctly the 2nd morning. Found the bed to be very comfortable to sleep in and the pillows and bedding to be of a very good quality. We would use this hotel again if we visit L.A.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this review. I am so sorry that there were a few hiccups upon arrival regarding cleanliness. That is definitely not feedback we hear often, so I assure you we take it seriously. I'm glad we were able to move you to another room without delay. I am also happy to hear that you found our Front Desk staff to be fast and efficient. It's wonderful that despite a few Housekeeping issues, you were still very pleased with the hotel. We hope that you'll keep us mind whenever your travels bring you back to LA.

Ashley Gochnauer

Been to The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!