“Great Rooftop Bar” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6317 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Saving 20% on Suites
Ranked #49 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Rooftop Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and spent two nights here on arrival from Aus after a very long flight.

The room was spotlessly clean and a good size. As it was summer, we loved the roof top bar and restaurant, the perfect unwind after a busy day touring the sights of LA.

The only negative for us was the location. It was just a little too far out for our liking, given that we only had 2 nights in LA and had not yet collected our hire car. Had we not been jet lagged and therefore able to drive, the hotel would have been perfect.

Room Tip: Great if you mind a long walk or a taxi to the Beverly Hills attractions
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am so glad that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable with a great rooftop restaurant and bar. I'm so sorry that you found the location to not be a perfect match for your needs. We are quite centrally located but I do realize that in this city, often times a drive or a taxi ride are necessary to get you to where you need to be! Regardless, I do hope that you will keep us in mind for your future travels to LA. Feel free to reach out to me for assistance with reservations - I am happy to help!

Ashley Gochnauer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Canoga Park CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The room decor was modern without being weird, just clean simple design. I was on the second floor, and the sliding door opened onto a patio shared by the rooms on that side, with a chaise lounge and chair for each room, so you can sit in the sun and relax. It was very quiet at night on that side (the west side of the hotel).

The location is excellent, within easy walking distance of the County Museum of Art and many restaurants. It is also easy to get to the Beverly Center mall and up to Melrose Avenue, with its weird stores (sample names: Freak Chic, Detention Cafe, Tuff Sissy), or west to Beverly Hills.

The hotel has a rooftop pool restaurant and lounge. Be sure to go up at night and in the day time to check out the view. But one caution: I had breakfast at the restaurant (egg sandwich with cheese, tomato, etc.) and it was HUGE. The waitress told me that the portions on other breakfast dishes are also large, so bring your fullest appetite.

Another minor caution: the minibar./refrigerator in my room felt very hot. When I told a desk clerk about it I was told that they are normally like that.

Room Tip: As I mentioned above, rooms on west side have patio.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I agree that we've got a great, modern aesthetic, so I'm so happy you enjoyed it! We also are quite centrally located, so I'm glad you got to explore the best of what LA has to offer without much ado. And I agree that the view from our rooftop cannot be beat! I apologize that your minibar didn't seem to be cool enough during your stay. I have followed up with our Guest Services team to ensure we are super responsive when those types of things are brought to our attention.

Glad you had an enjoyable stay and we sincerely hope it won't be the last!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I felt like I was at my favorite hotel in Europe where the staff has known me for years and treats me like family. Came here for a girls weekend in LA, we reserved a 1 bedroom suite and it was perfect. We even had our own balcony, wish I had brought my dog with, she would have loved it here and YES they love having you bring your four footed pal with. In the lobby they even have a bicycle that is at your disposal to use and bike around LA. If you go out early on a weekend morning, the streets are deserted and it's a great way to enjoy the Beverly Hills, West Hollywood area.

The beds were comfortable, they had coffee and tea for us each morning. Their rooftop pool/restaurant/bar area was a blast. The food was great, the drinks even better and the staff AWESOME!! Big shout out to Eric who took great care of us and had us laughing.

Kimpton gets big props for the staff they have. Everyone is engaging and helpful. They would call a Taxi for us and ring our room when it had arrived. Valet would have our car waiting for us when we came down from the elevator, and they were very knowledgeable about the area and giving us ideas of places to see and eat.

Will definitely be back. Hotel Wilshire you may be new on the scene, but you are making up for lost years.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator for a quieter room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Traveler,

What a fabulous review! We strive to do exactly that - treat our guests like members of the family. I am so glad you appreciated the signature Kimpton touches such as our pet friendly environment, complimentary bike rentals, and our morning coffee and tea. Most importantly, we take great pride in the guest service we provide, so I'm so happy to hear you had a pleasant experience. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Wilshire in Los Angeles. It was centrally located and the Hotel was very nice. The staff were very friendly and even upgraded my room to a suite. Although the view was of a parking lot, I appreciated the gesture as the room was very comfortable and clean. I stayed at this hotel because all Kimpton Hotels I've stayed in in the past have been enjoyable.
The rooftop bar was very nice and what a view. You can see the famous Hollywood sign clear as day. It was sunny and windy but be sure to go up and take a peek.
The Hotel was a little hard to find as the sign is small and in between businesses but when you check in, you will be very happy you stayed there.

Room Tip: Despite traffic around the Hotel, the Hotel itself is very quiet. You can open windows if you stay o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Traveler,

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent experience and that you were upgraded to a suite! So glad that you also got to enjoy the breathtaking view of LA and Hollywood from our rooftop. It sounds like you are a Kimpton loyalist - which is great - so we hope to see you again on your future visits to LA.

Thanks again,

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had a hard time picking a rating for this hotel overall.

Pros:

It IS a nice hotel. Modern, comfortable rooms, and a great view from the rooftop bar. I really like a nice, big, shower, and their rain shower heads are great. Nice amenities. The valet parking was quick, and they had my bags up to my room quickly. I slept great on the comfy bed with soft sheets. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

I reunited with a couple of old friends from college days, and the rooftop was a perfect setting. Strong drinks too :)

Cons:

I'm a rewards member and so I choose in my profile to have a higher floor, but, I was on the 6th floor which is where everyone gets off of one elevator to get on to the other for the bar/roof. This made it a little noisy. I found the service a bit lacking/too casual. I had a guy in Jeans and shirt walk up to my table on the roof and ask how everything was, I looked at him like he was insane, turns out he was a manager. I think hotel staff should be identifiable, at least a name tag, but dressed professionally, even in LA. Another manager briefed his servers how everything was going to be changing next weekend (number of tables, manager assignments, start times, etc.) right next to my table, twice. I find this really unprofessional, and it's the main reason I gave them a 3 overall. I don't want to know anything about what makes things work (or not work), I want to enjoy my burger and cocktail in peace.

Funny thing, when we sat down, one server came up and took a drink order and asked if we were eating, we stated we weren't sure, so he took our place settings and water glasses away. A minute later another server walked over and said apologized they table wasn't set, and put down place settings and water glasses.

Overall, I'd stay here again. It's not a perfect hotel, but it's a brand I trust, and am comfortable booking anywhere.

Room Tip: Avoid level 6
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Love the pros but hate hearing the cons! I'm so sorry that your experience up at the Roof was a bit shaky. Your feedback is incredibly constructive and provided a great learning experience for our restaurant staff. On a positive note, I'm so glad that you were impressed by the service otherwise and found your room to be modern and comfortable. I'm also happy to hear that you'll keep us in mind for your next trip to LA. We will make sure that we knock it out of the park.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

as soon as you arrive I felt as a VIP this little boutique Hotel is in the Los Angeles Miracle mile close to Beverly Hill, West Holiwood, the Los Angeles Museum is minute walking disttance, the Grove, the farmers Markket as well Joan on third, for great foods, this hotel have the best staffs where I felt so welcome, the rooms are great the Shower alone make my day, the roof top with swiming pool and view of the hills is just fantastic had a fantastic time and was so sad to leave to a conference to Anaheim, the worst place on earth in my book

Room Tip: The front desk where memorable the ladys espacially on day time at night the staff are Mens probab...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for your wonderful 5-star review! I can't tell you how much we value this feedback. I agree with you that our hotel is very centrally located to the best that LA has to offer. We also pride ourselves on the service that we provide and the team tries everyday to bring the Kimpton promise to life for our guests. I'm only sorry that you had to leave! I sincerely hope you will come back to the Hotel Wilshire the next time your travels bring you to LA.

Thank you again for sharing your comments. We hope to see you again soon!

Annandale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I am writing this review from The Rooftop at The Hotel Wilshire. I have enjoyed every moment of my stay thus far at this fine boutique styled hotel. Clean, neat and staffed with friendly competent folks who go out of their way to take care of your every need.

I booked the hotel at the suggestion of the customer I am working with here in LA. I read a few slightly negative reviews in this thread and arrived prepared for a less than ideal stay. My personal experience has been nothing but a delight. No one is perfect, but seeing the manager reply to each post and attempt to address any negative comments carried a great deal of weight for me.

Kudos to the staff of at The Hotel Wilshire and The Rooftop for making this traveler feel welcome and at home.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!