“Nice room, nice location, service could use some polish...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6317 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #53 of 328 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice room, nice location, service could use some polish...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a nice stay at the hotel...rooms, although a little tight, were clean and modern, with nice beds and bathrooms...good location and central to a variety of things to do...service could use some training, etc...slow, uneven and disappointing at times. Definitely visit the rooftop restaurant and pool bar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Laguna Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked a room here because I attended an event at Staples Center. It was my first time staying at the hotel and it was so-so; probably wouldn't stay here again. At arrival, there weren't guests in the lobby, yet the front desk lady didn't acknowledge us. After arriving back to the hotel we headed to The Roof on the rooftop. It was quiet for a Friday night and we found a comfy booth close to the fire pit for people watching. It was a really nice setting with good food and drinks although last call seemed early. Heading back down in the crowded elevator was extremely unpleasant because after the doors closed we all realized the horrendous smell was from someone who vomited in the elevator! Gross! I held my breath, but they should have cleaned it better or closed it off. The bathroom was nice, but the bed was not very comfortable. I give it "Poor" for cleanliness because the elevator incident was really disgusting.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
greg_rizzi, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry to hear the front desk was not as efficient or helpful upon your arrival. It’s more than unfortunate you had to experience the brief but extremely unacceptable elevator ride. Housekeeping responds the minute they are made aware of such situations and apologize for not having the matter taken care of faster that particular evening. The Roof on Wilshire closes at 1am on Fridays and Saturdays and 11pm Sunday through Thursdays. We sincerely apologize for falling short of your expectations and offer the opportunity to make it right if you should stay with us again.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Hotel Wilshire aspires to be a hip, cutting-edge hotspot, but it lacks several vital elements. Foremost, the service -- while mostly friendly -- is absent-minded and painfully, shockingly slow. Questions like "may I have an iced green tea?" are met with bewilderment instead of "I could bring you a hot green tea and a glass of ice, would that work?" The rooftop would be great if the food served up there wasn't so greasy and tasteless. There are very few light options which is unusual in LA. While the rooms are modern and clean, albeit generic, the hallways are old-fashioned and depressing. The lack of a gym is also disappointing for a hotel that markets itself as luxurious. All in all, The Hotel Wilshire feels like a "wannabe". It does not achieve what it promises. However, I will applaud them for their eco-friendless, that is always a good thing, no matter what else the hotel is missing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts . Your comments regarding the service and quality of food you received at The Roof on Wilshire are very important to us and we have shared them with our restaurant partners. We want our guests to enjoy both a warm and attentive staff as well as an ample menu selection. Apparently we feel short in both areas. Please allow us to express our deepest apologies and know every effort will be made to make your return visit a much more enjoyable one. As far as the lack of gym, we do have complimentary gym passes to an offsite gym that is a five minute walk for our guests to use at their leisure. Thank you for noting the eco-friendliness of The Hotel Wilshire. You will be happy to know that in addition to being a member of the California Green Lodging Program we are in the final stages of our Silver LEED Certification. We hope to have the pleasure of accommodating you on your next visit to Los Angeles.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Yes, the rooms are a bit snug and short on drawers and closets, but they are modern, clean, and very comfortable. Great bed, huge flat screen TV, terrific bathroom, and quiet. Just don't stay on the 6th floor, which is directly under the terrific Roof Pool/Bar. The staff is professional. The services were terrific. We'll stay there again for sure and reccomend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Contemporary. Sleek. Modern. Tech Savvy. What am I describing? No, not a new smartphone or tablet. Not a new luxury car or pc either. These are the adjectives I use when describing The Hotel Wilshire.

The Hotel Wilshire was not at all what I expected – but in a good way. Upon arrival the narrow valet with entrance similar to a New York parking garage, I must say was daunting, but once inside the NY vibe disappeared. A modern, glass, crisp interior awaited. I may not be the typical traveler, then again, maybe I am as I travel with two mobile phones, a tablet, and at least two laptops (among other things); and the ability to use my devices as if I’m at home is usually not a luxury. However, I was wrong this time and The Hotel Wilshire delivered in spades meeting my demand. I’m not sure what inspired such tech savvy, but wall a mounted dock for HDMI, VGA, S-Video, RGB, IPOD / IPHONE / IPad, LAN, USB, and audio? Mitsubishi climate controls, LED lighting, Wi-Fi that wasn’t anemic, and more. I had to ask myself: “Where am I?” Is this a sort of Shangri La?

In addition to the technical “everything” I just mentioned, the room is styled oh so well. I am a high rise dweller that enjoys modern decor with a hint of minimalism – I couldn’t have picked a better place. One will note ample closet space and a sexy chaise with hidden storage below. Quite possibly the softest bed and pillows in my last six months of travel, crisp and clean lighting, and a bath with utterly sleek surfaces. I also note the intense cleanliness of the room, not a spot on the shower glass – noticeable. The interior design is perfect for one week, one month, or whatever your stay. Mind you: I’m not even discussing the great rooftop pool in this review!

If you are looking for something traditional with dark woods, and earthy furnishings this may not be the place for you. If you are looking for a modern room with technical flair, I recommend you visit this weekend. A new addition to my “Best List”, The Hotel Wilshire is all Aces in my book!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words in regards to your recent stay at The Hotel Wilshire. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our modern design and aspiration to remain up-to-date with technology as well as our green efforts. Thanks for spreading the word and it would be our pleasure to accommodate you next time your travels bring you to Los Angeles!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Wilshire on October 15th + 16th.
I booked the stay on Hotwire.com, and got a deal of $167/night plus tax
~
It is a very lovely boutique hotel which has been very recently renovated and is pretty well located. It's a little farther away from some important amenities (Starbucks, CVS, quick-eat restaurants) than I normally like, but it was still in Beverly Hills, so not too shabby.
~
The valet is ~$30/night, which can get pricey, but there really isn't parking nearby. It's a must.
~
The restaurant/bar on the roof is small, but very nice. I would say it's slightly overpriced, but the food was delicious, if not a little too decadent. The breakfast was surprisingly well priced.
~
The room was very nice, newly renovated. It was a little dark, not enough overhead lighting. The bathroom has a rainhead glass shower which has a glass block panel in the adjoining wall for extra light. The sink had a little less space than I normally like, I really felt cluttered. It was by far, 100%, the BEST hairdryer I have ever used in a hotel in my LIFE. BEST. i was so happy with it.
~
The bed was very comfy and there were plenty of pillows. They were a little too soft, but once stacked up great.
~
There is a lot of storage in the room and a nice size closet with a light. I had plenty of room for my 2 days of stuff.
~
My view was awful, but I booked on Hotwire. What can you do?
~
Check-in and check-out was a breeze and the staff was all very friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Higher up is better
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

stylish small boutique hotel. Good rooms and bathrooms. bar and small pool on roof with superb views. Fast and friendly staff, as you expect but easy going in an la way. Walking distance to lacma and a few restaurants. Good kocation for rest of city.

greg_rizzi, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Hotel Wilshire. I am glad that you found our location to be desirable as it’s less than a mile to the LA County Museum of Art, The Craft Museum, The Petersen as well as many local art galleries. We are also in close proximity of many of LA’s wonderful restaurants on Beverly Blvd. and Melrose Avenue!

The Hotel Wilshire

Been to The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!