“Hip German Eatery” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wirtshaus

Wirtshaus
345 N La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036 (Wilshire)
(323) 931-9291
Neighborhood: Wilshire
Santa Ana, California
“Hip German Eatery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Wirsthaus is a delightfully unpretentious eatery with an outstanding beer selection and an excellent menu of old world standbys. Not only were the various meats excellent (try the wild boar sausage), it is obvious that the kitchen also cares about the side dishes, including an excellent sauerkraut and a couple of potato dishes. We celebrated a birthday at the Wirsthaus and would recommend it for anyone looking to start off a night on the town or for an informal gathering. They reward large groups, so bring 10 people and collect your reward!

Visited November 2013

Los Angeles
“Great for Oktoberfest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were looking for a good place to celebrate Oktoberfest without traveling far from home. This restaurant is centrally located to most of Los Angeles. Although small, the owners have utilized the space well, and our group of 6 was comfortable seated outdoors in an enclosed patio w/ space heaters. Service was prompt and friendly, but for those unfamiliar w/ German foods and beers, there was little help offered w/ selections. Our table ordered a variety of dishes from sausage platters to chicken schnitzel, and sauerbraten along w/ an assortment of beers from the numerous ones available. L.A. is sorely lacking in authentic German restaurants, so this was a great find! I am anxious to try its breakfast or lunch fare on a lazy weekend. I recommend visiting the website to peruse the menu and beer selections beforehand. It will keep you for being overwhelmed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mesa, Arizona
“Fun Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I met my friend, who lives a few blocks way, there the Friday of Labor day weekend. (She stops there all the time.) Their happy hour beer prices are excellent. ($10 for a litre of German draft beer) We had the sausage platter and, as other have mentioned, was excellent. Plenty for two hungry people. The bartender was pleasant, but I could tell her mind/heart was elsewhere. It is LA though, and she also persuing her dream. (we asked what she is doing when not working there, nothing wrong with that, me thinks) OK, i digress. Nice place and looking forward to visiting on my next trip to LA.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles
“Not too shabby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stopped in today with my husband for a nice long Friday lunch. It was pretty quiet here today which was nice. We sat at the outside patio tables. I liked the biergarten feel in the middle of LA. No, it's not Munich, but you get what you can take 6000 miles away, right?

The service here was good. Very friendly wait staff. The menu is very authentic. It's not dumbed down for Americans. We ordered a Currywurst plate as an appetizer, a bacon and blue cheese salad and the schnitzel. The Currywurst was good, although the sauce was a bit more tomato-y than I have had in Germany, but passable. My salad was surprisingly big for just $7. It was so full of thick, crispy bacon, that my jaw hurts, seriously. It was worth the $7 for the quantity of bacon alone. The schnitzel was a huge portion as well. You can choose two sides with it. This one came with spatzle and red cabbage. I can't say that I was impressed with the spatzle. It definitely wasn't fresh. You could tell that it had been refrigerated by the taste and consistency. I make spatzle at home and I know the difference from when it's fresh out of the pan and the leftovers.

Good beer selection although there is no Spaten which my husband was hoping for. You can choose your on tap beers in 3 sizes should you feel the need to drink one out of a huge boot. I say go smaller and keep it classy.

I would return and try some other menu items. They have a Sunday brunch that sounds appealing. Bottomless mimosas!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Germantown, Maryland
“Order the Wurst Sampler Plate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The food here is wunderbar! (Wonderful). Excellent beer selection! The Wurst Sampler Plate with a pretzel on the side will feed three people easily. The ambiance is very plain; you don't go here for the setting, you go here for good German food. Parking Secret: There is an alley behind the restaurant and there is parking below the building. There is no sign however, so you have to look for the opening.

• Visited April 2013