“It's a Hop-On, Hop-Off Bus...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #107 of 330 Activities in Los Angeles
Type: Bus tours, Sightseeing Tours
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“It's a Hop-On, Hop-Off Bus...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We used this bus almost exclusively after buying a multi-day ticket from their booth on Santa Monica Pier - although, despite buying it there we didn't actually use the Yellow Route except to get from off Rodeo Drive to our hotel!

Buses:
A bit run down, I'd expected a better standard given that we were in LA, to be honest... but it's a bus. You sit on it and get driven around... not much needed! Free headphones when you get on and you just plug yourself in and enjoy the oddly accented commentary! My favourite bit is the part about the Stinking Rose... got me every time!

Routes:
We almost exclusively used the Red Route - it was nearly a three mile walk from our hotel to the first stop, and we did get lost when we first tried to find it! It's OFF the main road, tucked away on a side street with a very small sign! We did ask the drivers why it was down there, and they said they used to stop on the main road but the residents complained. It's an upscale area though and we didn't see any problem with where it was (once we found it).

Visited May 2013

“Great way to see sights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Went on this when travelling in LA on my own

Bought online prior to travel and paid only £16!

Started on yellow route in Santa Monica on the first bus and changed to the red route. Bus was on time and clean and was comfortable

Got off the bus on Hollywood boulevard and got back on the bus with no problem. Never had to wait for a bus

Got back to Santa Monica after getting off in Beverly Hills at around 3.30pm so took 6 hours to do yellow and red route with 2 stop

Can't fault this trip at all and was a great way to see the whole of LA

Visited May 2013
UK
105 attraction reviews
“A good way to explore LA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have used City Sightseeing Tours in several other cities that we visited and have always found them to be good. We booked our tickets to use during our stay in LA and were not disappointed with our choice. We liked the fact that there were 4 routes and really did make the most of the bus during our stay and used this as our main method of transport. We used the red route several times during our time in LA to hop off and on when visiting the main attractions. We used the yellow route to get down to Santa Monica but the downside of this tour was that it only went every 40 minutes and it felt like a long wait. The other downside was the fact that the buses only ran until about 6pm so one night we found ourselves having to get a taxi back to Beverly Hills. We purchased a City Pass and did the Hollywood Hills tour to see the Stars homes in Mulholland Drive and this was great with the tour guide being very good. A really good way to see the sights in LA

Visited March 2013
Huntington Beach, California
27 attraction reviews
“waste of a birthday”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Because I LOVED LOVED LOVED the sightseeing bus in Cape Town, I thought it would be fun to do this in LA and hit some fave stops along the purple route for my birthday weekend.

When we finally figured out how to navigate this LA-based system and hop on the bus, we were excited. However, excitement quickly dwindled, or should I say was squelched. It all began with the rude busdriver who second-guessed my ticket which I SHOWED him as I walked in behind everyone else who just walked on without showing their tickets. I was embarassed and finally he grumpily allowed me to join my friends upstairs.

We were so excited to stop first in China Town but the bus never stopped....we thought maybe it just wasn't a "clear stop?!" Oh well, we were still excited to stop for margaritas and grub on Olvera Street but we drove around it......the bus never stopped to say that we could get off. It slowly crept around it and then was gone. We stood by the door in order to NOT miss our next stop in downtown LA. We ate at the market and did the Angels flight. The bus did not arrive when expected so we called and were told when the next window would be. We waited, and waited, and waited 30 minutes (15 minutes past the 15 minute window). We spent hours downtown so good thing I had great birthday company. We finally caught the bus and went back to our original destination.

Overall, waste of a day! We should have taken the metro.

I emailed the company for a refund and was denied.

Visited June 2012
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
“Nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I bought a 24 hour ticket 9.30 am at Santa Monica pier and were told next bus should arrive at Ocean Ave at about 10.10 and next at 10.45, should be one every 30 to 40 mins. First bus did not arrive until 10.40. We enjoyed the journey through yellow route and got off at transfer stop No7 and walked back to Rodeo Drive and had look round and coffee. Reboarded at stop 7 and now on Red route, got off at Farmers market and had lunch and look round market. Went back to bus stop ( No11 ) and waited and waited and waited some more, no sign of any bus. We spoke to a fellow passenger who had been told when he had got off the same bus us that a man getting back on told him this was first bus in 2 hours. We had now been waiting for 1.5 hours and others over 2 hours. As it was now nearing 4.00 pm I was getting worried that if the bus came it still had more than half of red route to complete and then we needed to return by yellow route to stop No 57 on Ocean Ave and last bus due 5.15. Gave up waiting and decided to take taxi to ensure we got back before darkness. Taxi journey is a story for another time, another nightmare!! This was our last full day in Santa Monica before return flight to UK, went to ticket office next morning to try and claim refund of taxi fare which was on top of the $80 we had spent on the bus tickets. Tour office would only offer to extend ticket which was no use as we were flying back. I will end my story with these words -- DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS BUS TOUR. G & J.

Visited February 2013