“Friendly fast service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Genwa

Genwa
5115 Wilshire Blvd Suite #A, Los Angeles, CA 90036-4366 (Central L.A.)
323-549-0760
Neighborhood: Central L.A.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Friendly fast service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have been wanting to take Korean BBQ for a spin ever since we moved to Korea town, but were a little scared. I heard this place was a little more expensive then some of the local places but the quality was worth it and I haven't been any where else but I am picky about quality of meat and I loved it! We had a course A and a couple of drinks and it was such a good time. We had a few different people check on us id we needed refills and how every thing tasted or if we even wanted more meat. The only problem we had was we were so full we couldn't finish our soup and salad and didn't leave room for desert. If you have been wanting to dip your toes into KBBQ I would definitely recommend it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
1,340 helpful votes 1,340 helpful votes
“Best Korean restaurant I've been to - Most amazing and friendly service...24 initial appetizer plates!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

One of our friends that formally lived in Los Angeles found out we were going up to Beverly Hills for a few days and suggested Genwa as her favorite Korean restaurant. She raved about it. After we ate her for lunch we know why she loved it so much!

The staff is SUPER friendly. They saw that we had young kids and really went the extra mile with them. This place is super kid friendly including giving them children's plates as well as special kids chopsticks that have a rubber band on it so they can actually use them. This is a great touch.

The food was really great! The initial appetizer dishes never seemed to end. Most Korean places will give you 6 or 7 initial plates but Genwa had something like 24 initial appetizers! I had never been to a Korean restaurant where they gave you so many initial dishes. Our waiter told us to let him know if we needed ANY of them refilled. Sure enough, he came by several times and we had several of them refilled.

The menu is quite extensive. We started off with the japchae which was really great. We got the lunch special of the Prime Kalbi and also an order of the bulgogi and they were both really delicious! The radish soup that came with it was also really great.

We were so stuffed when we left! The restaurant itself is also nice. Something interesting is we were staying at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills and we noticed a sign that said that "Genwa is coming soon" across the street from the hotel. So it looks like they are either opening up another location soon or they are moving over to La Cienaga across the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills so keep this in mind and maybe call and ask them when they plan the move.

There is a parking garage around the corner of the restaurant which is handy as the meters on the street are only 1 hour maximum.

When we left, our waiter gave our kids several lollipops which they loved. As mentioned above, this place is super kid friendly as well as the food being excellent. I'd HIGHLY recommend this place and we will come to it EVERY time we come to LA.

• Visited May 2013
Los Angeles, California
“as good as it gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

full on a Monday and double the size.

There are reasons; great food, great service and reasobaly priced for what you get

I have been here over 6 times and keep going back

• Visited April 2013
Marina del Rey, California
“Best Korean BBQ I had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Highlights:

1. Fresh product with high price to quality ratio. Very flavorful with the marinate sauce, and meat was not tough as at some other places.
2. Twice as many side dishes.
3. Service ... never had the staff help with the grilling to that level before.
4. Ventilation. At more traditional venues, vent is above table so you end up soaked with the smoke from the grill. Here they have it built into the grill so it sucks it down and away. They also change the crate frequently.
5. Great ambiance. Modern design with a cozy atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“From all the Korean restaurants, I remember this one the most!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed in LA for 5 days & all 5 days, we have been eating just Korean. Looked the review from Yelp & started to trying out so called "BEST" in LA.
We went there on Monday during Lunch and it was worth your money & your trip. I normally give 4 the best but I can't help giving 5 stars on this place. Food was GREAT! and SERVICE was amazing. We all know we don't get that friendly services from Asian restaurants but this place, I can give two thumps up.
Quality & the price was pretty good compare to other places we tried. We didn't want to pay $35 for Korean BBQ per person. I wish I can open one of them in Austin, TX.... I will be rich!
***BTW, at the end, they bring this little tablet looks like Altoids. It is not! so don't eat it! It is a hand towel but as soon as the server pours hot water, it changes to a marshmallow. We laughed so hard watching this.
Great food, great service & good laugh... can't beat that!

• Visited March 2013