“From a sushi snob to you: This place is the best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sugarfish By Sushi Nozawa / Downtown

Sugarfish By Sushi Nozawa / Downtown
600 West 7th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)
213 627 3000
Cuisines: Sushi
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“From a sushi snob to you: This place is the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2014 NEW

I have to admit that I'm a picky sushi eater. I'd rather not have sushi at all if I don't like the place the moment I walk in. Not only there was a line to get into Sugarfish on a late Sunday night (already a good sign), the $30 Trust Me selection of sushi, sashimi, and hand rolls was nothing but divine. Wow! It's officially my favorite sushi place. Now, can you open one up in Washington DC???

• Visited December 2014

Toronto, Ontario
“the fastest sushi dinner. ever.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2014

I had dinner here during Thanksgiving Sunday and I was in and out within literally 20 mins.

The place was very busy and had a high energy vibe partly because of the young patrons. Since I was solo I sat at the bar and ordered the $30 Trust Me. The thing about Sugarfish is that their nigiri sushi choices are fairly plain jane, and safe, -- the basics of tuna, salmon, yellow, halibut etc. I suspect this makes it easier to manage for everyone. But the quality is high.

I tend to judge sushi by how well prepared the rice is (since all good japanese restaurant serves fresh fish) and the rice at Sugarfish was good. The toro and crab hand roll was OK for me. The seaweed wrapper wasn't toasted enough for my tasted and was a bit tough to bite through.

Each course of the Trust Me was quickly brought to me once the previous course was finished and since I was eating no more than 4 pieces at each course the dinner went by quickly.

I would recommend Sugarfish if all you want is basic sushi prepared very nicely but if you want a more expansive menu then you may be disappointed.

• Visited November 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Mesmerizing !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

It's is my first time on this restaurant, my friend keep on bragging about it so many times that I should go visit. He reminded me that it takes long to get in because of the long list of customer waiting ( I suggest you go there when you are not hungry yet) because our waiting time takes an hour or so. But the food worth the wait, there is something on it that you can't explain, so? Mesmirizin yummy :)!

• Visited November 2014
“Incredible sushi... ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

Delicious sushi in Downtown LA, with incredibly fresh and melt in your mouth fish. Also, there's a great cost benefit relation.

Washington, DC
“Delicious sushi in downtown LA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Had a lovely lunch at Sugarfish. The quality of the sushi was excellent and the service was very nice. It appears to be a smaller menu, but the restaurant offers three versions of a "Trust Me" prix-fixe menu. Price varies according to the number of dishes served. Basically, the same items are served on each menu; if you opt for one of the two lesser options, you receive fewer items. If you don't want to go with "Trust Me," they do have some items available a la carte.

The tuna sashimi was phenomenal and all the other items served were delicious as well. Since it was lunchtime, we had no problem getting seated. I sent some colleagues there for dinner and they said it was a 1 1/2 hour wait (so they did not end up staying).

Gratuity is included in the bill, which simplifies things, but the bill came to about $50, which is expensive for two people for lunch. I know sushi is expensive, but just something to keep in mind. I would return, however, to eat excellent sushi.

• Visited October 2014