“BEST SUSHI EVER!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sugarfish By Sushi Nozawa / Downtown

Sugarfish By Sushi Nozawa / Downtown
600 West 7th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)
213 627 3000
Neighborhood: Downtown
Istanbul, Turkey
“BEST SUSHI EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

When I write a review, usually, I first talk about the food, I recommend some stuff. Then, I talk about the service, I talk about the atmosphere. After that, I talk about the value. I answer the question 'Is it worth it?'. Finally I recommend or don't recommend the restaurant. But with SUGARFISH, I don't have to write any of that when I can summarise it with 3 words: BEST SUSHI EVER!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Every sushi love I know loves this place.

Except my girlfriend. She is just getting into liking sushi and she heavily judges food on texture. She said that the warm rice + cold fish made it not good.

That what I love about it tho.

I often feel like Sushi doesnt satisfy my hunger. That is not to say it doesnt fill me up. The warm rice solves this problem.

Just be warned if you take someone that only eats California rolls. This isnt that kind of place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“simple and straight forward”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I was fairly surprised that the place was very busy on a Monday evening. I blame it on the DineLA promotion that's going on until 1/31/14 which featured numerous LA restaurants that offers a special tasting menu for a good price. However we were not here for the DineLA special.

The restaurant was dark and "cold" in appearance. It's a modern take to a sushi-bar. The restaurant is fairly small and a little cramp. Very small waiting area, has a bar but not a sushi-bar, all prepping is done at the back of the restaurant.

Please note, that this restaurant does not take reservations. So our table of 8 took a while to get ready, wait time was approximately 45 minutes. Not bad for a busy night at 6:00pm.

Once seated, drinks are ordered, everyone gets a small saucer with ginger and a dab of wasabe. You have 3 choices of "omakase". Trust me-lite, Trust me, and the Nozawa Trust me. 4 of us got the Nozawa trust me and the rest got the Trust me.

I've already read before hand that the sushi rice will be warm instead of the normal room temperature. Some people like it, some people don't. I'm on the side that I do not like warm rice on my cold fish. However, the rice is beautifully made and packed lightly. The rice itself was too tangy for me, to the point where it's overpowering the fish.

Fish as far as selection goes is very limited compared to the ones I've been to. The nigiri itself is smaller than the ones i'm used to. Fish is fresh and delicious, some of the nigiri had too much ponzu sauce. This causes all nigiri to taste the same.

The rolls (toro and blue crab) which had more rice than the nigiri, unfortunately overpowered the subtle flavors of the toro and blue crab, all you taste is the tangy warm rice.

Price ranges from $20-$40 for the trust me selections, not bad but not good either. Unfortunately, the trust me became a pre-fixe items, unlike other sushi bar, omakase means whatever fresh fish they obtained that morning, so the nigiri will vary from day to day.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York, New York, United States
“"Trust me"? Glad I did!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just had dinner here with some friends and it was an all around excellent meal. We all had different versions of the "trust me" menu, mine being the largest and everything we ate was absolutely, melt in your mouth delicious. I always tend to over order when I eat sushi out and I felt that the portion on the larger "trust me" was just perfect. I feel full but happy. Will absolutely return here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“sushi place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

the best sushi i have ever had!!!! the most simple and tastiest place, moreover open on sunday afternoon. go here for lunch and witness the perfection!