“Old Style Hollywood Glamour” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 Vine Street, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Hollywood)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Breakfast Package + More!
Ranked #13 of 327 Hotels in Los Angeles
Brisbane, Australia
“Old Style Hollywood Glamour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I found this hotel while searching the internet and decided it looked like a great different option to staying in a normal touristy hotel. It was a fantastic decision!

Check-in - once we got served was quick and efficient - admittedly the check in staff member thought we were with another guy who came up in the elevator with us - he probably could have asked us and saved us waiting 5 minutes or so but all good.

Our room was huge - apartment style but with lots of old hollywood glamour furnishings -four poster bed etc. There was everything you would need for a 3 night stay like ours or longer. The bonus was the laundry facilities in our room. We washed everything before flying home and so everything just got put away once we got back to Australia.

The rooms are so large you won't hear anyone else in their rooms because you are all so far apart. We had a great view of the courtyard, Hollywood Boulevard and the top of the Capitol Records building.

We found the doormen really friendly and talkative and got us cabs when we needed them or gave advice when asked.

The staff at the in house restaurant were very accommodating for dinner one night - it was a very busy night but because we were inhouse guests they made sure they found us a table. The restaurant was quite crowded and the close quarters made it a bit loud and quite dark - but the food was fantastic.

The only other thing of note is at check-out - we had an issue trying to pay with a bank Traveller Card (the kind that banks, travel agents, credit card companies etc try to get you to use -you load all your money in the currency you need and use it like a debit card) Well the hotel did not accept is as a form of payment because it didn't have a name on it - in the end it was okay because we had a back up credit card but it was annoying because we had loaded the correct amount on the card for this purpose.

Other than that we had a great stay and would highly recommend it to anyone - well located to a metro station - only two stops from Universal Studios and one stop from Hollywood and Highland which has you right in the middle of the Hollywood area.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Fallbrook, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We loved staying at the Redbury after a night at the Pantages, which is right around the corner. If you're looking for something that feels a little like old Hollywood and nothing like the run of the line hotel, give it a try! We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite which was perfect for two couples who want to hang out together. Balcony onto Vine, but very little street noise because of good windows. You'll love the record players in each room and collection of vintage records! So much fun! Furniture and décor very funky cool. Staff helpful and courteous. Great place to really experience the Hollywood feel.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very loud but fun..not good idea with small children because of loud music late in night but for party's great vacation. .
Safe and clean place to stay..while visiting La!
Will come again..just without children!!

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
James E, Manager at The Redbury Hollywood, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Riktere,

Your feedback is appreciated. You are correct, Hollywood is a lively neighborhood, but not without plenty of activities to entertain children and adults alike. Please engage our helpful Concierge staff next time, if you hadn’t already done so, and we can cater your stay to the needs of the entire family. We hope to see you soon so we have the pleasure of assisting you again.

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Not much to say over and above what has previously said by others -

huge rooms
home like feel (sorta)
party hotel
interesting atmosphere (?)

Did want to touch on others concerns about the area and safety - It’s a metro area with lots of tourists so the homeless will be attracted to it - Its pretty safe we walked around on our way to and from dinner 1900 - 2130 no issues - I wouldn't necessarily walk alone at 4 AM - but that would be stupid in any city.

Perhaps I am not the demographic for this place - I came via public transit while my partner was off doing family stuff, but I found it uncomfortable to have to enter the “hotel” from the valet drive instead of the front door at 1530 hrs. (You can open the door to the street and re-enter, once you have a room key) Maybe the perception is different when arriving by car, then again my partner drove past the place twice since the parking / valet weren't well marked.

Reception is one floor up from entry - the restaurant “Cleo” occupies most of the downstairs. Elevators are not evident when you come in from the valet stand - just a sign pointing to reception up the stairs. I didn't have baggage it was coming later with the other half, but since the elevators require a room key to operate it would be the stairs regardless.

Staff if very friendly, and polite -

The decor is “unique” cork flooring that floats, as in not attached to the floor but rather floating above it so it squeaks as you tread across it in the morning and wakes up others. (me)

High stainless steel shelving in the kitchen - great for me at 6’3” not so great for housekeeping since that's where the management decided plates bowls and glassware belonged. In our room housekeeping couldn't see that high - since there were two dirty glasses and plates up there.

Cleanliness continued to be a short point - throughout the room.

Bed was very comfortable - good linens somewhat soft bed almost as if it was memory foam.

The shower is a quasi-peekaboo - one wall which faces the bed is frosted glass. The shower design also made for it to spray out on to the floor (no curb to contain the water)

Not for everyone - especially if you have guests in the living area while someone else is showering. Not a complaint per se - but seems to be a consistent theme in hotels now.

The robes are nice - but then again a couple of extra towels would have been as well - thankfully there is an all in one washer dryer in one of the closets with what appears to be complimentary supplies… So I just dried our towels for later use.

The party atmosphere goes on and on - returned after 3AM after attending an event next door at Avalon - several of the rooms we walked past on our floor had parties going on.

If those parties needed ice it was a schlepp all the way back to the elevators down a floor and back almost to where my room was and then all the way back…

None of the feature of hotel properties near by with similar rates like a pool or gym and yes I understand they offer “guest passes” to a near by 24 Hour Fitness, but I don’t want to walk or drive a half mile to a very busy gym - I can do that at home.

Many other better choices within a 3 mile drive or a 3 block walk - the W and the Andaz both spring to mind

Overall - had I actually paid full price for the night, I would have been unhappy, aside from room size or “suite” size, the place all in all is a let down - Full disclosure - I originally booked at $289 parking included - and received a black Friday sale email from the property so I re-booked at a more reasonable $149. Valet fee was another $39.

If you're young it will probably be a great place for you but for me at 50 it was a lot of style over substance.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the courtyard if you want to avoid the party scene
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
James E, Manager at The Redbury Hollywood, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear JSHLGB,

Thank you for submitting a review. Hollywood is full of activity day and night, so 24 hour safety and security for our guests is paramount as it would be in any hotel. We provide covered, secured parking, a secured building which requires key access and 24 hour security staff so you are safe. Guests should not have to worry about this when we have so much to offer in this neighborhood and on premises. Our guest room floors are secured and require a guest room key to access.

As for the arrival process, we do not require a key for access to the Front Desk on second floor so I’m not sure why you had difficulty getting to Reception. There is also a sign inside the elevator explaining this. We have a sign which directs guests to reception and plenty of staff to assist with your arrival process as well.

Thanks for your note about the glasses. That is not our standard. It seems there may have been general cleanliness items you mentioned that I would like to follow up on so please feel free to reach out to me at jamese@theredbury.com so we can discuss in further detail and I can ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Sounds like you got a chance to enjoy Avalon next door. Glad you had fun that night! As for guests that were still awake when you were, we do not allow parties here at the Redbury so if we‘d known this was a disturbance to you we could have engaged our 24 Hour Security.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What a wonderful experience we had at The Redbury. From the moment we made the reservation we have experienced the finest customer service, attention to detail and are thoroughly impressed with the size and quality of the rooms. If there was one slight complaint it would be the cleanliness of the breakfast cafe in the morning (it was actually quite filthy). Despite this the hotel receives 4.8!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

I’m thrilled you took the time to submit a review. Thanks for pointing out our “attention to detail” with the service, but I’d like to get more information on the condition of the breakfast café in the morning. Please feel free to reach out to me via email at jamese@theredbury.com as I’d like to follow up. Glad to hear you look forward to staying with us despite this note. We will be ready for you!

college station
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had the pleasure of staying at The Redbury with the family for 4 nights Friday-Tuesday. After after reading the previous reviews, I was afraid we had made a mistake. No worries! I'm not sure about past guest but we had an excellent experience. The room was big, comfy and clean. The staff were helpful and polite. Kevin helped in many ways with directions and reservations. The valet was awesome. Call to the desk and the car was waiting when we got down there. Valet always offered to help with directions. We used the kitchen in our room but take note that if you needs pots and pans you just call and they send them up. These beds are amazing. Best sleep I've gotten in a while! And we didn't hear any bass! We had a lovely dinner at Cleo which was an interesting cool vibe and affordable. Pork belly was great as well as everything else. Thank you for a memorable stay! We will be back!

Stayed December 2014
Dear Pittmasha,

When choosing a luxury, boutique hotel in Hollywood you had many choices, but none would have been quite the same as The Redbury @ Hollywood and Vine. Thank you for the excellent review. From the Valet, to Cleo, to Front Desk we aim to provide you with authentic service that surpasses the rest and it looks like we succeeded again. I’m also happy to see the only “vibes” you experienced were good vibes from the restaurant food and not from the sounds of the vibrant neighborhood. Our guests can also check out the soundproofing which allows any guest to engage a “suction-seal” of the balcony door for extra noise-cancelling. See you next time, Pittmasha!

Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2014

This hotel is incredible! I decided to stay at this gem of a hotel to experience the ambience, service and uniqueness of the hotel and I'm glad that I did. The service was warm and welcoming from the time I pulled up to valet to the time I checked in on the 2nd floor. When entering the room/suite, all I could say and think was "INCREDIBLE!" The butchers block bar table to the living room seating to the four post bed and most importantly the record player with a great selection of records, it had a wonderful flow and sense of what a hotel in Hollywood should look and feel like. The balcony was a great added bonus and even though staying on a Saturday night could get a little noisy, it didn't matter since I was there to experience the vibe of this hotel. You do not stay at a hotel of this style to turn in at 10/11pm and miss out on what this place has to offer. To take it all in, I also decided to dine at their in house restaurant Cleo and the food, service and quality was spot on. The server asked whether we were on a time constraint and when mentioning that we had tickets to go see Wicked, she rushed our orders and we had plenty of time to enjoy our food and ambience of the restaurant. We started off with the artichoke flatbread, Tomato and Burrata (amazing!), Brussels Sprout (good but a little too much vinegar on this batch), Lamb special of the day, Lamb Shawarma (tender and delicious) and for drinks, we had the Lotus Flower, Honey Citrus Sidecar, and the Old Hollywood (great choice if you like bourbon). The plates are more tapas style so it's a great place to share and experience a lot of different options. After the show, we came back to the Library for drinks and spent the next couple hours enjoying some Old Hollywood out on the outdoor patio sitting next to the fire pits. When turning in, the bed was lush and comfortable and did not hear any noise. It couldn't have had a better experience and thank you for letting me stay at this wonderful hotel. We all have choices where to stay and with this experience, I will be back time and time again. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Traveler3435,

Thank you for taking the time to capture such a complete picture of your experience here at the Redbury and I’m glad to say it was a great one. Our well-apportioned suites are complete with everything you may need for a fun and vibrant weekend and you are right, the butcher block counter comes in handy whether you are here for business or pleasure. It sounds like you got the full experience here visiting Cleo Restaurant, the Library, and staying in our luxury suite and even had time to enjoy “Wicked” at the Pantages. Bravo! Encore! See you next time!

Best Wishes,

James Erickson

Been to The Redbury Hollywood? Share your experiences!