“Had a good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Chicago, Illinois
“Had a good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in normandie hotel for 4 nights.
Courteous and helpful staff.Nice and clean room.
However this is not a famous hotel as most of the tour guide doesn't know about this hotel. But I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Normandie LA, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are an historic hotel that just re-opened its doors back in September and have big plans as we move forward. So, we fully expect you will be seeing and hearing a lot about us from tour guides in the near future.

Thank you, and we hope to host you again the next time you are nearby.

Hotel Normandie Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

The hotel lobby has grandeur and staff very friendly (especially Eddie, if i recall this young gentleman's name correctly). Room is beautifully renovated and loved the design of the toilet which kept with the hotel's elegant yet casual theme (Gilchrist & Soames is a great choice!). Nice fluffy towels. Has coffee maker and snacks and I always appreciate complementary bottled water.

Reno works are still on-going and this is one hotel to keep an eye on once everything is up and running.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

You only get one chance to make a good first impression and the Hotel Normandie is a big disappointment. The failure of the hotel is multi-level, and I can't help but think it starts at the top. The only logical explanation for the multitude of disappointments I came across is that someone in a position of power made the decision to open this hotel before it was ready. A hotel is ready to be opened when it's READY, not before. They shouldn't be able to open their doors and take my money until contractors, workmen, management, and designers have evaluated all parts of the renovation, completed all works, address all problems, trouble shoot any further issues that could arise, have all amenities a guest should expect at this price point, and finally, to train their staff to know how to properly service guests, manage customer needs or complaints.

OVERALL VALUE: LOW

COST: Even with a hotel's introductory discount and a large Orbitz discount my room was $150. Not breaking the bank for that kind of money but I should at least be getting amenities and standards the Holiday Inn or Courtyard Marriott offers. They normally want to charge $250+/night. This is absurd. If you want to launch a boutique hotel - give me a good introductory price, wow me with the experience and then I'd be willing to pay more the next time and refer friends. There are many other hotels nearby (Downtown, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Hollywood) that are in and around this price point that offer a MUCH GREATER level of value. By value I'm talking about the amenities and experience of staying in a hotel. So lets break down those amenities or lack thereof.

THE ROOM: The room is nice. It's comfortable and clean. Acceptable towels, linens, and comfortable pillows. There are large windows so you can get a lot of light, but if you're on a lower floor you could spit and hit the apartment buildings next to the hotel (a sense of a lack of privacy). The bathroom is tastefully redone although our shower was disastrous. Only half of the holes in the shower head actually worked and had water coming out of them and the ones that did were spraying in every possible direction except for where you want it to - terrible shower pressure. There's a nice big flatscreen TV, but a lack of channels.

The drapes are difficult to open and close and more importantly, they aren't true blackout blinds. They opted for simple apartment curtains which doesn't block the light from the top of the windows above the curtains - the result is a room that isn't very dark during the daylight hours if the guest wants to sleep in.

NOISE: This hotel is LOUD. It's at the corner of a very busy intersection and you will hear the cars...CONSTANTLY. We were given a "quiet room" that wasn't facing a street, but the drone of passing vehicles lasted all night (and we're adjacent to an alleyway). The hotel skimped on putting in the soundproof (or at least sound dampening) double-paned glass windows - opting to keep the vintage single pane leaded glass windows. FAIL.

WIFI: They offer free wifi throughout the hotel. This is nice. Unfortunately the wifi is slow. It put it in more relatable terms - it couldn't buffer a movie from Netflix so I could play it in HD.

PARKING: The hotel offers valet parking for $28 a night. This is grossly over-priced. I'd be okay with a self park for $10-$15 a night, but $28 is what I'd spend to park at a very nice hotel. I opted to street-park a block away and save myself the money.

LOCATION: It's on the edge of Koreatown and while there is a couple of GREAT Korean BBQ locations (one is right across the street) there is very little else around here. The neighborhood is safe enough, although I wouldn't recommend walking around at night if you can avoid it.

AMENITIES: There is no pool, no gym, no restaurants, and not even basic bar offerings in the lobby. There's no real place for hotel guests to hang out and enjoy themselves. This hotel isn't central to much. It's at the edge of Koreatown and there are very few places you can walk to at night (if you want to walk around here at night) to get a drink.

The lobby is a beautiful vintage space. The decor is almost there, but ultimately suffers from a utter lack of curation. There's a difference between creating a unique style and theme to a room, it's another to simply put a collection of random things on shelves and tables and hope that people think it's eclectic. Someone else mentioned this in a post, but I'd like to reiterate: does a lobby need TWO pianos (which no one plays).

Style is a matter of preference, but you'd think that whomever was decorating this place would have visited other stylish boutique hotels in Los Angeles (or other cities) and had a complete understanding of what makes them stand out and be special.

While the lobby is a nice space and has plenty of seating - the biggest issue of all is that with NO KITCHEN and NO BAR there's no reason or place for hotel guests to hang out. Want to sit by the huge fireplace and have a glass of wine or a cocktail... sorry, you're out of luck. There's a fireplace with no fire going and it's one of the coldest weeks in LA. As for room service - nope. If you get hungry at night it's the mini-fridge or the chips and trailmix offering in the room.

NOTE - there will be restaurants and a bar going into the ground floor of the hotel and when that's completed (no date set) and that will be a vast improvement. I can't help but think they should have waited for the completion of those additions to open the hotel and used the extra time to make sure that everything at the hotel was finished to a level to impress.

THE STAFF: First and foremost, it was difficult to determine who was actually working at the hotel and who wasn't. Everyone employed wears street clothes (not a compliment). I'm not saying everyone needs a pressed polyester uniform per se, but hey - try a black button up shirt and a name tag. This is supposed to be a stylish boutique?

Service itself was fine, but certainly less than I would expect. They're friendly and when I brought up the issues of the shower and the noise, they offered to find us another room (although the quieter part of the hotel was apparently complaining about some fire alarm at an adjacent building going off). When I pushed the subject of going beyond simply moving the room to perhaps enticing us to return another time for a discount rate, the best response I got was that they would give me a code to get a 5% off on my next stay.

Offering me 5% off is the icing on the cake to ensure I won't come back. When you launch any business it's inevitable that there will be hiccups. It's how you handle them and what you learn that determines how your business will fare. Be overly kind, generous, offer free amenities to hotel guests to make up for the ones you lack when you first open. Simple things like - Why not offer free parking since you can't offer guests anything else at this time? When a guest complains - do everything in your power to ensure they feel cared for and their patronage appreciated at this infancy of the business - because ultimately the power rests in their hands. Yelp, Trip Advisor and other sites allow the everyman to be a powerful voice and they should know that. A string of bad reviews can kill a place before it has the chance to become what it could be. The Hotel Normandie, take note.

In the mean time, guests considering coming here, do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. There are so many other great hotels at a lesser rate or similar rate that understand what makes a great hotel experience.

Room Tip: Not worth the money. Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke K, Manager at Hotel Normandie LA, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are a new hotel and are gaining stride in our renovations and staff development.

Parking in the area is at a premium because we can only offer valet for our guests. Guests are free to park in the surrounding neighborhood, but should be aware of street signs so that they do not get ticketed.

Our television issue you mentioned is currently in the works of being fixed very soon. Our front desk is very helpful in making sure you can find the channels you are seeking in the meantime, and have a print out of channels for guests when asked.

Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope that we do get an opportunity to offer a second impression to you.

Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I have travelled extensively around the world and stayed in many hotels. Very rarely do I come across a hotel in which the staff are so attentive, genuinely caring and extremely friendly. Not even once did the staff hesitate in getting out of their way to accommodate all of our requests, to give us tips on where to go, to do all of the hard work for the car rental. We also had to extend our stay due to an ear infection and inability to fly. The front desk staff, with a very very special mention to Ana, were absolutely superb in accommodating us, in finding the best medical centre to attend, in assisting in extending the car rental and giving us tips on where to head for dinner or to spend an afternoon. Joe, the front office manager also deserves a big thank you for being so easy-going, friendly and empathetic.
The majority of a good hotel experience comes from its service and the staff at The Normandie couldn't be faulted once.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I spent 5 nights at this property and was underwhelmed. The setup of the property is okay. It is old but newly renovated with most of what you want.

What I liked:
- Friendly staff. Staff always go out of their way to say hello. That is only so useful as you will see below.
- Amazing water pressure and showerhead. While the newly renovated bathroom is cramped and limited the showers were a true highlight to my visit.
- Fridge and microwave in the room. I always appreciate these amenities.

What I didn't like:
- The only parking option is valet parking at $28/day plus taxes (yes, more than one). The valet parkers are fast and friendly but it doesn't beat fetching your own car.
- This room was newly renovated yet the bed was awful. Very soft for a new(?) bed.
- The TV service was really odd and very cryptic. No channel guide on the TV or in print in the room. I wouldn't let TV choices drive my choice of hotel but the absence of even a written piece of paper explaining what channels are available show a lack of customer focus.
- Staff, while friendly, were not always helpful. Anyone can do friendly but when I asked where to get breakfast the desk clerk said he didn't know. That is a pretty basic question that if you don't know you would find out and get back to the guest.
- Spotty housekeeping. My soiled bathroom linens were always placed in the tub and reusable linens placed back on the rack. Sometimes the soiled linens were removed, sometimes not. The iron was full of water when I arrived. Most good hotels train their housekeepers to empty the iron as tap water left in an iron will corrode and leave deposits in and on the iron.
- My room fronted on 6th ave and was pretty noisy. I am a sound sleeper so it didn't truly bother me but was noticeable. Light sleepers may have a problem with the noise. I am sure you can ask for a room facing away from the busiest streets.
- No bill under the door on the last night. I know this is a small thing but for a busy traveller off to meetings it saves time and is appreciated.
- No public amenities ... yet. The lobby level is still under construction so there are no amenities of any kind. No food or beverage outlets, no fitness room, no business center.

For the money paid it was barely an average value. No one issue (unless you are paying for the valet parking which is a huge issue) makes this a bad place to stay but the sum total of many smaller issues make it a loser in my books.

I prefer the Holiday Inn Express Downtown West at the east end of Koreatown. A lot less character at the HI Express but it is very well run and about the same price when you add in the parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Normandie street and away from 6th.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Union City, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed: 11/18-11/21 (2013)

This hotel only opened 2 months ago and is still going through renovations on 1/3 of their hotel rooms, restaurant, and bar. Despite the fact that it wasn't complete, I'll definitely be coming back if I need somewhere to stay in LA with reasonable rates, excellent service, and a clean room to sleep in.

I came down for the LA Auto Show and booked my room really last minute. I really wanted to stay near the Staples Center but all of the hotels were either sold out, over $700 per night, or a hotel I wouldn't be caught dead in.

Despite the fact that some of the side streets leading to this hotel may seem a bit sketchy at night, if you're looking for a hotel to stay in that's clean, has free Wi-Fi, and close to downtown give the Hotel Normandie a shot.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting LA. Price was right and the staff were very friendly. When we stayed they were undergoing renos to being this heritage building back to its former beauty. We stayed in an updated room and never noticed any evidence of construction ie noise,dust etc. Room was modern and clean. Free wifi. The hotel is in korea town which is safe and fine to walk around at night. Great location for LA. A quick and easy drive to downtown,Hollywood,santa monica. If you love Korean food there are a ton of great Korean places within walking distance. The only knock on the place is the$28 parking rate. You can find a much cheaper alternative in a garage nearby. You just won't get in and out privileges. Loved it and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke K, Manager at Hotel Normandie LA, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. This review has been shared with the entire team, and they are grateful for your feedback.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Los Angeles.

Hotel Normandie Team

Been to Hotel Normandie LA? Share your experiences!