“Sub standard” 1 of 5 stars
Review of LA City Tours

LA City Tours
6806 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Hollywood)
323-960-0300
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Los Angeles' most experienced and acclaimed tour guides as we take you on a sweeping, thrill packed tour of the Entertainment Capital of the World! Sample the rich history, diverse culture, sun-drenched beaches and pulsating movie tempos of Los Angeles. With a movie star on every corner, and surprises galore awaiting you, LA City Tours has packaged the most popular and requested sites throughout the vast experience known as the City of Angels.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“Sub standard”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

In the bus right now. Unclear commentary, random rambling. Do yourselves a favor and go elsewhere. Save your buck.

“loved the tour, especially Sabrina.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Went on the A2 Hollywood history tour a 3 hour tour. We had a wonderful views of the city, drove Mulholland, saw beautiful celebrity homes, historic landmarks, Hollywood sign, took great pictures, saw places where movies were filmed. The most amazing part was our guide Sabrina made the difference with the tour. She was funny, knew so much about entertainment (old and new), and most importantly did something you rarely see helped a child in need that was NOT on on our tour. The boy had fallen with massive amounts of blood everywhere. She ran to his aid and his family to help! We saw her in action and was like an EMT. She whipped the blood from his face, gave his family an ice pack from her lunch box to stop the swelling, calmed the child down, gave him a candy bar at the end, apologized to us, AND she still got the whole tour in for us and us back on time! Her driving was safe and we felt like we had a tour, were in safe hands, and a story. The term the "kindness of strangers" applied! We have taken tours in different cities and this tour was the best we've ever taken. And happy end of story with kid, he was OK.

Shelly,
Las Vegas, Nv.

England
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent Tour, friendly guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a great tour with LA City Tours, the guide, Dave, was very knowledge about the area, he did have a Lindsey Lohan fixation, which was very entertaining for my teenage girls. Dave didn't stop talking the whole tour and gave us an excellent introduction to Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Downtown, the beach plus more. We hired a car and went back to some of the areas the following day. I would recommend these tours to anyone visiting LA wanting to see the sights in an enjoyable and relaxed way.

London, United Kingdom
“Look don't listen!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

You see what you expect to see - a positive. Good views of the Hollywood sign, ‘Stars’ homes and the other listed features of the tour. However, it is in the hearing where the problems lay.

When you set off on the tour from the main office, you are driven by a mute drive that does not welcome you, introduce himself or tell you what you’re in for and where you are going. At the end of this drive (feels like forever..maybe 40mins), the bus doors open and he finally (after you’ve questioned your friends as to what is going on? have we been abducted?) he finds his voice and announces that we are to get onto our tour bus!

In getting onto the ‘real tour bus’, you quickly become more appreciative of your first driver, as your new tour guide (for the next 5 hours) is something that you wish you could silence! As a visitor to a new city / country, and being led by someone whose survival is dependent on the tourism of the city, I was shocked (soon turned into annoyed / angered) by the way in which the greater percentage of sights pointed out to the paying tourists, were often followed with negative statements, somehow taking the gloss off what had been shown. Now, I don’t live in some kind of dream land and anyone who has watched their fair share of American TV, the news or read a newspaper, knows that LA, like most other cities in the world, struggles with issues like crime and homelessness. I am also no ‘bleeding heart’. Yet, when I’ve paid to have a city showcased to me in a short period of time, I don’t expect to have to suffer in the ignorance and arrogance of the tour guide, as they project their fears and ideologies upon unwilling ears. Fears of side streets ‘you wouldn’t want to go down folks...there’s a lot of graffiti down there!’ Paint on walls can be dangerous..Banksy should be careful! Then there was the fear of the homeless, who have clearly chosen to ‘live it up’ in downtown LA and other parts of the city. Shame on them for making the city so ugly I guess?! They were even the subject of a joke about a young homeless person holding a sign that was made by some company, because they are ‘not smart enough to make it themselves’.

Repetition is also a hindrance to the experience, where most facts and ideologies (including the bad graffiti and homeless people) are repeated ad nauseum. You realise you are not alone in feeling irritated, as those around you turn to each other for an eye roll, eyebrow raise, giggle or just some comfort to get through the next few hours. Thus, solidarity among the tour group ensues.

On arrival at the lookout area over the city, and again a negative statement, this time about pollution and cars (I guess our bus was not contributing to this!), the guide took offence to a lady parking a car to get a quick snap. Ok, she shouldn’t have been there, but do we all have to listen to him (microphone on) giving her a piece of his mind and shouting to tell her to move on! We all scuttled off the bus embarrassed and avoiding burst eardrums!

In an attempt to secure some gratuity payments, which we were informed are welcome (aka Tips..eventhough you have paid $69 each for the experience..I know the system..don’t need to be told or have the sign displayed to tell me how much etc.), there are a series of announced ‘bonus stops’. No one else normally see’s this or stops here, which you are reminded of...more than you care to remember. Although, given I saw other people, including a different tour bus, at the same locations I guess others have also found out!

Lastly, don’t question the guide...you are only there to listen after all. After being informed that we were making our way to our last stop (with no other information given as to what was happening on the way), one brave tourist asks when we may be visiting the 45 star homes, as stated in the brochure. She was quickly patronised in a passive aggressive manner, that she should know that we are visiting them on the way, that many stars have lived in the same house and that the area we were in was no place for stars- they wouldn’t live there! I guess if she knew all this, you wouldn’t have had to come on the tour to learn about the city. I certainly felt good about what we had seen and where we were!

Overall, I saw what I wanted to, but it was tainted in a veneer of ignorance and arrogance that I was not anticipating. As a precaution to getting the same guide and experiencing what we did, I suggest taking an iPod and tuning into the guide only at the stops or when the bus slows down past a house or sight. Your mind will thank you for not cluttering it with all the other unnecessary ‘information’.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The tour was a great way to start a holiday, especially coming from the UK where you may be sleepy. We did the movie stars homes and beeches tours, which was great! Our driver/tour guide was really friendly with a sense of humour. You get to see part of LA that you may not go to without the tour. Would definitely recommend!