“AMAZING!” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Shopping, Dining
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Autry National Center is a museum dedicated to exploring and sharing the stories, experiences, and perceptions of the diverse peoples of the American West, connecting the past to the present to inspire our shared future. It presents a wide range of exhibitions and public programs, including lectures, film, theater, festivals, family events, and music. Located in Griffith Park, the Autry’s collection of more than 500,000 pieces of art and artifacts, which includes the collection of the Southwest Museum of the American Indian, is one of the largest and most significant in the United States. Come see historical and contemporary exhibits, participate in engaging programs and family activities, and enjoy all the Autry has to offer.
Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
12 attraction reviews
“AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The Autry National Center is one of the most wonderful museum ever. I learned a lot of about Jewish people in Los Angeles County as well as the history of Western Cowboys. There is a also a good museum store there, and they have various kinds of interesting stuff. I got a nice music CD from the store.

Visited December 2013
Maren D, Director of Communications and Marketing at Autry National Center, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for your review! We're so glad you made the Autry part of your trip to Los Angeles.

Austin, Texas
7 attraction reviews
“Great museum of the West - with some display issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I finally made it to see this museum and I did enjoy it. I love the American West and it was fun to see all the movie and TV memorabilia. Like some other reviewers, though, my main hope was to see some of the 19th century paintings by artists like Bierstadt and Moran, which they do have. The highlight is Thomas Moran's very large 1875 painting of the "Mountain of the Holy Cross," which became politically important in the "Manifest Destiny" movement that rationalized the accession of the western part of the continent. It's always a wonderful thing to sit in front of one of these great romantic paintings of the the western landscapes that inspired so many people and in many cases, in pre-photography times, introduced them to the grandeur of the West.

One problem, however, was the way some of the paintings are displayed. They had a large glass case with a gown positioned right in front of one of the paintings I wanted to examine more closely and there was simply no way to really see that painting other than at an angle from a distance. Others were high on the wall and some small ones were fronted by wide platforms that prevent proper viewing access. These images were what I came to the museum to see and study, and it was a bit of a disappointment. The Moran made it worth the trip, though. It is a magnificent painting.

Visited December 2013
Thank you for the review! We appreciate the feedback and we'll relay it to our design and exhibitions teams. We have received many comments about the placement of that dress-- good and bad. Here's a note from our design director about it:

"It's an unusual placement. It’s not what we expect to find in an art gallery. What I choose to see is the object, a nineteenth-​century dress, in conversation with a field of paintings. The presentation is not static—the dress is neither in profile nor facing straight ahead. Instead, the mannequin appears to participate in the installation.

I imagine myself standing next to the lady at a gallery opening, discussing these paintings on the wall. Perhaps instead we are conversing at a dinner party, looking through a window onto the landscape beyond. It’s possible. It’s what I choose to see. It is this conversation with the placement I find exciting. Of course, it could just be she is standing in my way, like the annoying fan at a baseball game blocking our view of first base."
Stockton, California
4 attraction reviews
“A fitting memorial to a good actor!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

My grandsons and I had our pictures taken in front of the Blue Screen riding a horse racing against a locomotive. It was fun. I believe there should be more young people there to look back at their heritage, but all I saw were mostly Baby Boomers like me!

Visited June 2013
Thanks for the review. We'd love to see your photo! Glad you had a good time.
48 attraction reviews
“Simply stunning museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

This was my third visit over the last 10 years, why?, because it is simply the greatest place to visit if you love cowboys and were brought up on the Lone Ranger (the original) and other great cowboys. The displays are fantastic and take a couple of hours and read all about the history of the wild west. The exhibits are truly fascinating, great artefacts like the gun presented to Wyatt Earp by the town of Tombstone and what a collection of Colt 45's and other guns. Great for children too, I have taken my two daughters previously and they loved it. This is a number 1 attraction, go and enjoy.
Also interesting to see the costumes for the new Lone Ranger and Tonto.

Visited November 2013
Andrew,
Thank you for visiting the Autry, and for writing such a nice review! Hope you can visit again when we open our "Masters of the American West" show in February.
Maren
Los Angeles, California
30 attraction reviews
“so so museum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

if you're really a western fan, great. I'm not and the Autry is only ok as a museum. We went to a special exhibition and there were mistakes and poorly designed signage to accompany the artifacts. I'm glad I went, but I'm not looking forward to future visits.

Visited October 2013
Maren D, Director of Communications and Marketing at Autry National Center, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Freedml,
Sorry to hear that! If you have a minute, could you e-mail me at communications@theautry.org with the name of the special exhibition and any specific mistakes you remember seeing?
Maren

Been to Autry National Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Autry National Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.