“Am still talking about it (in a good way)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 West Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
sin johns
“Am still talking about it (in a good way)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

Landed in LA (Los Angeles for those not in the know) due to passport difficulties. An idyllic location. From the moment I walked in they made me feel welcome. The upgraded room view overlooking the Hollywood Hills was amazing. The club lounge was one of the best I've ever been to (trust me I'm not Charlie Sheen but I've seen a few). The outdoor pool is fabulous, and the staff truly exceptional. They catered to my every request. Thankfully it was within walking distance of the Canadian consulate. They did indeed offer me a complimentary mercedes limo daily, but I declined rather enjoying the Los Angeles air quality.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

The hotel is highly recommendable for both tourists and visitors of the city as well as for a business trip. It opened up in April 2010 and has 123 rooms. The hotel is located in a tower that offers a great view over Downtown L.A.
I really liked the size of the rooms with huge panorama-windows and the bathroom with TV and a really cool bath tub
In the hotel you can also find the restaurant WP24 which is created by Wolfgang Puck. The hotel is right next to the JW Marriott Los Angeles Hotel and in walking-distance of the L.A. Convention Center. Also nearby are the STAPLES Center, Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE, The GRAMMY® Museum and an array of restaurants, venues and nightspots. Hence I can recommend it for both tourists and business trips.

• Stayed November 2010
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

My wife and I have only good things to say about the new Ritz Carlton in Los Angeles. Our experience started with prompt and professional valet service. We arrived somewhat early and we were immediately shown to a 3 room 1200 sq ft Executive suite on the Club Floor. Club access allowed us a nicely done buffet breakfast, lunch and after dinner desserts. Cocktails, champagne and wine were provided whenever we wished. The friendly club floor concierges were very welcoming and knowledgable and made us feel right at home.

Wolfgang Puck's new restaurant, WP24 was an excellent place to have dinner. It's on the 24th floor, thus the name, with spectacular views of downtown LA skyscrapers. The food was imaginative and consisted of tasty chinese and other asian dishes. Both the decor and menu made dinner at WP24 a memorable nice experience.

LA Live itself is a new downtown location surrounded by many different entertainment venues. There are restaurants, an ice skating rink for the holiday season, The Nokia Theatre and The Grammy Museum which had very interesting exhibits featuring John Lennon, Janis Joplin and The Doors among many others. Nice seeing Jim Morrison's boy scout card and his driver's license picture from 1967.

We're in Los Angeles a few times a year and the Ritz Carlton at LA Live is our new destination. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I was booked for one night at the Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles, on November 16 for business. When I drove into the valet driveway (3:30 PM), there was nobody in sight. I proceeded to unload my three bags from my SUV myself... until someone finally asked about my car (that wasn't until I was in the lobby waiting in line for the front desk). Strike one. My room was on the 25th floor, requiring a transfer to a second elevator each time I went up and down (the lift from the lobby only goes to the 24th floor). Strike two. While the room was beautiful and well appointed, there was no electrical outlet near the desk and the WiFi was intermittent (both critical for business travelers). Strike three. Lastly, it took several very long minutes to get hot water to the shower in the morning. Strike... um, four. On a positive note, all staff that I actually interacted with were very friendly and nice... and the rooms were very comfortable... but I expected more from a modern Ritz-Carlton property.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Hillsborough, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

From the day we arrived (greeted with Champagne) to the day we left, everyone was so nice! Bell man was very accomodating to and checking out of room. Really liked the room -beautiful!! My son loved the TV in the bathroom mirror. Room Service was yummy, really enjoyed the Humus tray. Everyday entering the elevator I would look up at the crystals above, so pretty.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We stayed here for the second time over the Labor Day weekend. We were able to get a decent rate using the Ritz's Reconnect package. Note rates here and at the adjacent JW Marriott are highly dependent upon events scheduled at the nearby Staples Center, Nokia Theatre, and LA Convention Center. Our stay, for instance, was sandwiched between the Primetime Emmy Awards and the MTV Video Awards shows at the Nokia.

Our first stay was fine (see prior review), but this one was even better. It seems like there has been additional staff training since our first visit, because overall staff attitude has improved. Dual doormen and dual reception desk staff (one is a concierge) greet you as you enter, other staff all greet you as you pass by in the halls, at the pool, at the fitness center. The one front desk person who I remembered gave me misinformation previously, I avoided.

The biggest difference with this visit was access to the Club Lounge, a $70 value that is well worth it if you are available everyday for each of the 4 daily food presentations, which we were for this reconnect/disconnect/do nothing weekend. The presentations include: 1) Breakfast, with 2 hot selections, one usually oatmeal, and a wide variety of fresh fruit, carbohydrates (breads, cereals, danish, muffins, etc.) and proteins (hard-boiled eggs, smoked salmon, sliced meats). 2) Mid-day meal, with a selection of gourmet petite sandwiches (including one vegetarian and one seafood), and veggies/salads, plus fabulous house-made potato chips and more. 3) Hors d'oeuvres/cocktails, a selection of dainty small bites, plus 2 hot selections like empanadas, coconut shrimp, and again those fab chips. 4) Desserts/aperitifs, again a selection of dainty bites, including chocolate lollipops.

The Lounge staffers are a hardworking bunch of multi-taskers who serve simultaneously are concierges, hosts, waiters, buspeople, bartenders, and food and beverage restockers. For this weekend, the Lounge was busy but not overwhelmingly so, and there were almost no business people. There were usually 2 staff working at a time. The Lounge is a large, comfortable space with sofas, tables and chairs, a private meeting room, multiple TVs and computers. An entire wall of windows faces west, where the Pacific can be glimpsed on a clear day. There are several jars filled with cookies at the door.

Dinner is the only meal you have to think about with Lounge access. We dined, once again, at the hotel's WP24 (as in Wolfgang Puck), a fancy Asian place which now has prix-fixe pricing, and also tried the nearby Rivera (chef John Rivera Sedlar, who we remember years ago from the restaurant St. Estephe), which has 4 menus of Latin cuisine served in 3 dining areas.

The physical idiosyncrasies of the hotel remain: the tiny lobby, the lack of a bar or meeting area for business, the modern design/decor some find incongruous with the Ritz name. For me, these issues are neither here nor there. Note, Club access is for double occupancy; there may be additional fees if extra people, be they family or business associates, are brought in.

I noticed that the hotel no longer puts out a selection of newspapers by the elevators in the morning, although the Club Lounge does (one is also delivered to your room). One morning I think the LA Times delivery was late, so a copy of the paper printed entirely off a computer was delivered instead. Also, the DVD player connection to the TV was confusing, necessitating 2 visits from an engineer.

Judging from TA reviews, it seems this new hotel got off to a bit of a bumpy start. Our second visit made it clear the staff has taken heed and has made efforts to improve. This is one of the closest hotels distance-wise that we have chosen for a staycation, and one we will continue to consider in the future.

• Stayed September 2010
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

If you want a great hotel in downtown LA then this is it. A great place to stay, rooms are fab, beds great, service good. We stayed in club and it was one of the best we have been to. A massive room well fitted out with leather chairs etc, great food and drink.
Would recommend

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!