“Not the greatest visit, but certainly ok...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 West Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Experience LA in Style
Ranked #7 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Detroit, Michigan
“Not the greatest visit, but certainly ok...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

OK, I’m posting this review onto both hotels because the stay was so intertwined.

Here’s why: I had booked into the JWMarriott for one night. They were overbooked, and walked me to the Ritz Carlton. So, I had a Ritz Carlton room, but was given access to the JW Concierge Lounge (NOT the Ritz Club Lounge) and ate dinner at the JWM. The hotels are in the same building, and linked by a circuitous hallway on the lobby and second floors.

So:

JWMarriott Front Desk/Ritz Carlton Front Desk
I was greeted with smiles and helpful staff. The young lady punched at her computer, made a call, and then asked me to follow her. (Note: no explanation given at this point…) We went through a series of hallways, and were in the Ritz’ very small lobby. She handed me over to the Front Desk Agent there, and excused herself.

The FD agent at the Ritz proceeded to check me in. I asked her what had happened, and she explained that the JWM was overbooked, so they were ‘upgrading’ me to the Ritz.

Note to Front Desk Manager at JWM: be sure you tell your guests exactly what you are doing with them… this was not done here. If you’re overbooked, just say so… I’m a big boy, I can handle the bad news. Plus, telling me you’re walking me to a Ritz is not exactly a bad thing… try this: “Mr Gardiner, I’m afraid we’re overcommitted this evening, but the good news is that we’ll be moving you to a room at the Ritz Carlton!”

Ritz-Carlton Room
I was given a King bed room on the 25th floor (which requires a change of elevators on 22).

The room was gracious in size… there is a large bathroom, with a large glassed in toilet, and an even larger glassed in soaking tub and shower. I laughed at the shower… a prior post had mentioned that you had to deal with the cold water just to turn the shower on… they were absolutely right! Two sinks. (frankly, I’m not familiar with Ritz amenities, but Mrs. Gardiner liked the stuff I brought home.)

The bedroom area was large, with a long built-in sofa against the window wall, and floor to ceiling windows. Nice King bed, which was very, very sleepable.

There was a smallish desk, in a safari style… but with NO electricity anywhere nearby. How do you have a hotel that’s less than two years old so badly designed for working in your room? My laptop cord had to hang mid-air from a hidden point by the window back to the safari table. My cell phones had to make use of the coffee pot plug for charging.

Truly, I crawled on my hands and knees looking for convenient plugs, and they just weren’t there. If you travel for business and need electricity to recharge various devices, I can’t recommend the Ritz for simplicity.

If Mrs. Gardiner were to be here with hair dryer, curling iron, and curlers, this would be a complete fail.

The other fittings at the Ritz were nice. Even the phones in the elevator lobbies were Bang &Olufsen… great attention to detail on that front.

JWMarriott Concierge Lounge Access
I’m a Marriott Platinum level (that’s 75+ nights/year), so I get Concierge Lounge access at Marriott’s which have lounges. Nice perk, and I don’t usually complain.

So, I asked at the Ritz Front Desk about my Concierge Lounge access. Apparently, since I was walked from the JWM, I had to go their Concierge Lounge, NOT the Ritz Lounge. To be very clear, this meant taking an elevator from the 25th floor to the 22nd floor, changing elevators, then another elevator from 22 to 2. Then, a walk around the corner to the Marriott’s elevators, then up to the 4th floor over there. That’s annoying.

Then, I asked at the Ritz desk about my Platinum amenity, and was told that the “upgrade” to the Ritz was considered my amenity.

Frankly, no. It’s not. I didn’t book or ask for the Ritz. I was there because the JWM screwed up and overbooked.

I told the young lady so, and explained that I bring my Platinum wine splits home for Mrs. Gardiner. She stepped away and brought back a small Ritz bag with a water bottle. Nice, but my presence in your hotel was because of a screw-up at the JWM. I’d have rather been at the JWM and had my amenity than the Ritz “upgrade”.

(Note: This is where you call me a spoiled hotel brat… and you could be right. “Chauncey,” you say, “you got “walked” from a JW to a Ritz? And you’re unhappy???” When you’re clocking 125+ hotel nights a year, the little things become magnified, become important… they become issues. Knock out 125 nights away from your family and let me know how that works out.)

JWMarriott Concierge Lounge
I headed over here around 5:30p, and they were still setting up for the evening. I was impressed by the wine selections. They had 5 different white wines, plus a Moet & Chandon sparkler… The wines were fully high end: Sonoma Cutrer R3 , Villa Maria Reserve NZ Sauv Blanc, etc. The reds were of equal stature… Very impressive selections. Other Marriotts and Delta SkyClubs could learn something here!

The lounge, when I was here, had a choice of grilled chicken skewers with a teriyaki glaze, or vegetable quesadilla rollups. Foods and sauces were replenished regularly.

In the morning, they had a very nice hot breakfast available, and served Illy coffee. Excellent!

LA Market Restaurant
I had dinner at LA Market in the JWM lobby, and was delighted to find a flatiron steak on the menu. It was blinking outstanding, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although not on the menu, I asked if they had mushrooms, and the answer was a crisp “no problem, sir”

The food menu was in print, and the wine menu was on an iPad, with very user friendly tabs for choosing wines. Excellent use of tech. Why, though, wasn’t the whole menu (food and wine) on the iPad?

I have to call out Chef Linton, who came by to chat with me after I asked about the flatiron steak. We had a nice chat about the cut, and how they get such a thick piece of flatiron. He was knowledgeable and friendly, and was a great example of why I like Marriotts.

Overall
So, how do I rate this dual property visit?
>Marriott Check-in – 3 stars only for not being frank with me.
>Ritz Check in – 3 stars for not having access to the Ritz Club lounge and making me walk all over the place and take 3 different elevators for a cup of coffee. AND for telling me that my being “walked” was an upgrade and I’d get no Platinum amenity.
>Ritz Room – 4 stars… would have been five if you’d had electricity near the desk!
>Marriott Concierge Lounge – 5 stars… Nicely kitted out, great wines.
>LA Market Restaurant – 5 stars… LOVE IT when a food-passionate chef comes out to discuss your meal. Excellent!

Regrettably, here’s Marriott’s West Coast flagship property, and I’m giving them four stars. Your hardware was excellent, as I’d expect. How I was handled on this visit was what I’d expect from a Courtyard. Relook your practices around “walking” guests, and you’ll have 5 stars on my next stay.

Note: As always, I never post negative comments about a property without speaking with a Manager on Duty. I did do that before I checked out, and explained all of the above to him. He apologized, and agreed that the massive trek to the JWM Lounge was odd, and promised to look into that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
Ellicottville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This place is really great -- the staff are what really make the difference. Even before you check in they do whatever they can to make your stay perfect. The hotel itself is located at the LA Live complex which is a really nice area downtown. Plenty of things within walking distance such as the Staples Center, Nokia Theater and the Convention Center. There is no shortage of restaurants in the area either, and a Starbucks right outside of the hotel. The rooms are beautiful and well appointed, and the pool area is one of the nicest I've ever seen. The rooms below are part of the JW Marriott hotel that has a lot of shared amenities you can use if you're staying at the Ritz, and the rooms above the hotel are Ritz-Carlton residences which are, from looking into them from the pool, extremely nice. This is a great option for downtown LA.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My Christmas present was tickets to a Lakers game and a night at the Ritz Carlton overlooking the Staples Center. The hotel was fabulous: a great corner room in the sky, with a suite feeling, and a television in the bathroom mirror!. Staff was helpful in the extreme, and the rooftop pool happily exposing us to the winter sun. The location is one of its best features, debouching into the L.A. Live entertainment center, always pulsing with events, good food and happy folks. Pricey, but perfect for a special night.

Room Tip: Go for the corner rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Ritz-Carlton in LA is simply amazing ! Great facilities and very luxurious rooms. Very friendly staff and overall a glamorous ambiance that makes you feel special ! It features a great rooftop pool that is a big plus. Look forward to my next visit !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Last year we checked into the Ritz Carlton Hotel located on 900 West Olympic Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90015 on August 11, 2012. Upon arrival we drove to the front entrance door and waited for someone to help us with luggage and valet parking but no one showed up so my partner and I decided to drop me off with the luggage at the front door. After struggling carrying all the luggage to the front desk, I asked where is everyone and how come the bell man was just standing inside the lobby watching me carrying the luggage without offering any help. An apology was given quickly and the concierge singled the bell man to help, little I knew what was coming my way next.

On August 13, 2012 we checked out, we packed all of our luggage and I placed my new Rolex watch back in its box and placed it in my Handbag which I keep with me at all times because it holds all of my valuables, I called valet parking to bring the car to the front and we went downstairs to check out but this time the same bell man was waiting at the lobby to help us with the luggage.

The bell man was eager to help this time and while I opened my handbag to check out our next trip information to San Diego, I placed my handbag on top of the big luggage at the same time my partner was calling on me with a question, in less than a minute I turn around and both luggage were gone so I run outside to see both bags being loaded inside the trunk of the car and the bell man assuring me that all bags are safe inside the car, I handed him a $20 tip and we take off to San Diego. We arrive at our next destination but right after we opened the trunk I realized my handbag was open. We checked into our room and the first thing I noticed my Rolex box was gone with my watch inside it.

I immediately called the Ritz hotel and explained what happened asking to also check our room in case I dropped off the box there. They said they will, and they did call me back in few hours to tell me nothing was found and there is nothing they can do if I did not actually see anyone taken it.

A couple of days passed and I after I got over my shock, I remembered that the box was indeed inside my bag whenI last opened my handbag in the lobby because my hand touched the hard box and I remember feeling the actual box so I called back the hotel security but this time they were much less eager to help and wanted nothing to do with it. I was told there is nothing they can do and to feel free to sue the hotel if I like.

So, I word of caution: never lose sight of your luggage and be very worry checking into this hotel.

Best of luck,

Basil

Room Tip: Don't check in.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Canterbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I travelled to LA and New York just before christmas and stayed for 2 nights at the Ritz-Carlton. We chose this hotel because of the location. From checking in to leaving this was the best hotel I have experienced. The staff were so helpful and very polite. The room was spotless and I couldnt fault it at all. The staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was as best as possible. I would go back to this hotel without a doubt. Thanks You!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Wow, first - a beautiful building that finally gives LA a 'skyline' to be proud of. This building is gorgeous and captures the character of LA. No where is it more evident than when relaxing at the rooftop pool of the Ritz. A peaceful and beautiful pool with a lot of ambiance and great little nooks to sit around in while going in and out of the pool and sun. And there's cabana-side service - very attentive and they'll get you anything you want. Bliss.

The lobby is small and discreet, and the staff are all very friendly and personable. The gym is very nice and has npanything you could need in a quiet, comfortable setting. The restaurant, WP 24, is the best hotel restaurant I have ever been to, and the surrounding LA LIVE area is really growing into a destination in its own right. I was there for an event at the Staples Center and it was the perfect place to stay.

The rooms are elegantly appointed and the perfect size with views of downtown and Hollywood available. You can see the Hollywood sign during the day (contrary to all wisdom, it's rarely lit up at night).

Great place to stay in LA!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Hollywood sign.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!