“Very nice rooms, so-so bed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 West Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Experience LA in Style
Ranked #9 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Very nice rooms, so-so bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Room decor is very bright and modern. Shower and bathroom are top notch.

Only complaint is that the bed seemed kinda cheap, although maybe this was because I stayed in a room with 2 beds. The bed felt very springy and they tried to cover this up by using thick padding over the mattress.

Gym is very well equipped.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Although I have been to LA many times, I have only been to downtown a couple of times. My Mom and I were traveling to our vacation house in the central coast area and I decided to go up on the train to LA for the night and have her pick me up the next day.

I looked at other hotels in west LA, but I decided those were too far from the train station and I wanted to see downtown. I was in a very bad mood as the campaign I worked so hard on....lost. I wanted an escape.

I got the executive king club level....and the club level is not like your usual one. The food is varied, amazing and the selection is huge as is the selection for drinks. I don't drink alcohol that much, so often times I'm bored with what there is to drink. But they had some really rare/special ginger ale that was amazing.

I arrived on a drizzly/brisk/ugly day and so was unable to use the rooftop pool, which I wanted to do. I saw it the following day after the storm blew through and it was one of those rare LA days where you could see forever.

From the club lounge, you could see the hollywood sign, the mountains and the surrounding area. The exercise room had a similarly great view and the gym itself was immaculate with great equipment and well stocked with everything (even headphones with each treadmill...a nice touch, given that some people might not have them).

The room itself was fantastic. I had high expectations for the executive king room on the club level at the Ritz in LA....the room is nicely sized, but the bathroom is killer with a large marble shower and a huge bathtub and it was great. The club level was beyond worth it and the breakfast the next morning was great and it was just a nice place to come down to relax. I talked with a nice couple there and I was in there multiple times both days and the staff was fantastic.

I came in looking like a mess because my credit card didn't work at first and finally I got up there and basically ate dinner and the staff was great. Getting me drinks, offering me whatever I wanted. The staff in general was so helpful and I didn't look like a "ritz traveler" and look quite young, yet they treated me great. room service at 2am was fantastic as can be expected.

and a big hat tip to the woman who sits at the desk in the small lobby ( concierge ?) and she got me in to the new james bond movie at 8 when she said everyone was going to see it at midnight. it was so nice of her.

The stay was too short, but the Ritz lived up to its high expectations and the staff is really what sets this hotel apart. The management should be especially proud of its club level staff, who were polite, professional and helpful.

A fantastic stay and although I don't really have a reason to be in downtown LA again, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in downtown. And you can be sure that the Ritz is always at the top of the list when it comes to hotels!

The one in LA is no exception.

Room Tip: club level is great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at the Ritz for one night and since we were there for such a short period we choose the LA Live area. The Ritz is connected to the JW Marriott next door, although separate entrances/elevators. Restaurants, movie theater, Staples Center etc are all right there. We went to the California Science museum to check out the Space Shuttle Endeavor and it was a short drive.

When we pulled in. the valet and bellboys were very nice and attentive. Check in was great, very friendly staff. Extremely small lobby. Love the iced tea and cups by the elevators. Our room was fantastic. New, clean, modern, comfortable. I love the set up of the couches by the windows and our view was amazing. The bathrooms are superb. Separate tub and rainforest shower, separate toilet, and two sinks with plenty of space and amenities. Beds were so comfortable.

After checking out we wanted to grab lunch and the valet was nice enough to bring our car around just so we could put our bags in it and then he brought it back when we returned from lunch. Fantastic service. Unfortunately it was the Twilight premiere the day we left so the area was overrun by a lot of obsessed teenagers, but you'd never know it at the Ritz. It is like a little oasis in the middle of LA. We will definitely stay here whenever we return to LA. Expensive but worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We spent only one night at the Ritz in downtown LA yet found the service superior--not only compared to other hotels but compared to other Ritz Carletons. At check in we were offered champagne and upgraded for no extra charge. The club lounge is over the top with beautiful and delicious food and service. The rooms are perfect down to every detail such as a night light that detects motion to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Every person of the staff who spoke to us for any reason was very polite and professional. And be sure to eat at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in the hotel overlooking the city!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Santa Rosa, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was harassed by security, had a broken mini bar in my room, told that i could "stay somewhere else" by hotel staff when i brought this to their attention and my room was not serviced over a 4 hour period of time in which i requested service twice. DO NOT waste your money here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
West Chester, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My son and I stayed one night in July when out west for Summer AAU basketball. Upon arrival, I was greeted with a glass of Champagne and a quick check in. The hotel is amazing and is connected to the JW Marriott right across from the Staples Center. The staff was very helpful directing us to the area. The Movie Theatre accross the street is perfect. We enjoyed walking around LA live and had dinner at one of the restaurants. The room was Ritz at its best!! And the turndown service is just what you expect from the Ritz. They even put our slippers they provide right next to our bed! The best part of the hotel is the pool on the 24th floor (I think that is the correct floor). Swimming at night was really awesome. You look up at the residence condos. I used the pool area in the morning also.!!! I highly recommend the RITZ at LA Live.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Ritz Carlton is inviting from the minute you enter the lobby. We were there for parent weekend at USC. As soon as we approached the check in desk we were offered cold or room temperature water bottles. There were beautifully wrapped Football shaped cookies for all guests to make USC parents feel welcome. They checked us in early and as we rounded the corner to the elevator they had a cooler filled with Pomegranate Pineapple juice for guests to enjoy. A key card is required to reach all hotel rooms, so this added security reassures you. Our King bedded room on the 22 floor was lovely with an expansive view of LA, a small lounging sofa and double sinks in the bathroom. Our last night there we upgraded to the Ritz Club level (it was S/O over parent weekend) and enjoyed the lounge as much as possible. The lounge offers free beverages all days long, coffee, teas, juices soft drinks, wine and beer as well as a basic selection of mixed drinks. They have a small buffet breakfast in the morning, a light lunch and light dinner in the evening and a yummy dessert bar after dinner. There are TV's and computers in the lounge as well. Not only is the hotel wonderful but the service is just what you would expect at a Ritz. The staff is friendly, welcoming, helpful and always asking what they can do to make your stay more comfortable. We will definitely go back to the Ritz and I would highly recommend it for your next trip to LA.

Room Tip: All rooms are good at the Ritz as they occupy the top floors of the Marriott hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!