“Best kept secret on Beverly!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of StayOn Beverly Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
StayOn Beverly Hostel
You added StayOn Beverly Hostel to your Saves list
4619 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90004 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“Best kept secret on Beverly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed here for 5 days on our trip to LA & can I tell you: it was amazing! There was no "bait and switch" here in marketing or advertising. What you seen online and in the Vimeo, is exactly what you get. It's a clean, modern hostel with a European feel. Bo, the owner, was such a gracious host! I loved the fact that there were no small kids allowed ( my daughter is 18), so there was no crying, running, etc. from little ones. We had the free coffee everyday. The WiFi was fast and the wireless color printer was awesome in printing out directions and boarding passes. It was conviently located from downtown LA and the beaches. We were only 15 minutes (without traffic) from most places we wanted to see. Would we stay here again in the future? I'm counting on it! If you're still debating, STOP...you will not be sorry for saving money and having a good time while doing so!

Room Tip: You may want to request a room towards the back, if the front door opening and closing will bother y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
stayonbeverly, Owner at StayOn Beverly Hostel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for the kind review. It was wonderful meeting you and your daughter, you guys are dedicated travelers, I am still amazed how many places you have been together.
Bo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed in L.A. for 4 nights and we were really happy with the StayOn Beverly. It's spotless and really modern. We got the doorcodes just in time and everything worked perfectly. We would definetly come back!
Within 4 month travelling around the world it was the best place we have stayed!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was the first time I'd stayed in a hostel and if they were all like this I'd chose hostels every time!!

I arrived late in the evening with a hire car, no problem parking on site. Front door has a number pad entry (like your room) so nice and secure. Room was a decent enough size but I'm not convinced the air conditoning was working (I was in room 4) as I seemed to be warm all night. Bathroom areas are nice and clean with the shower/lavatory and sink in one room so you can get yourself ready for the day or night without mving from place to place. There were other people in the building but at no time did I have to queue/wait to use the facilities.

Room 4 is by the kitchen area so can be a little bit noisy when people are using that area and the lights are on all night so if (like a previous reviewer) you have difficulty sleeping with any light then I suggest you ask for a different room....or bring earplugs/eyemask.

I'd used Streetview to look at the area before booking (single female traveller) and wondered if the EMT building next door would give me any noise issues - but I can honestly say that i didn't hear a single thing from this building during my stay.

Given the price of accomodation in LA this place is a bargain, add to that free parking and wifi, well you can't really go wrong staying here. I'll happily stay here again if I go back to L.A. - or if Bo choses to open another place in a different city (hint hint!!)

Room Tip: Room 4 is right opposite the kitchen area so can get quite noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Put simply, this hostel is perfect. My friend and I have just finished travelling the west coast on a budget, and not only was stay on beverly the cheapest place we stayed, it was also the best. From check in to check out, to check in again (we loved it here so much we decided to come back at the end of our trip), the whole experience was exactly what we were hoping for. This is definitely a home away from home, and a spotlessly clean home at that! Location was perfect, we walked to hollywood blvd and the grove many times, taking about an hour each way, however if exercise is not your thing then the buses are very conveniently located too. Some reviews have stated that it was a little hard to find, however so long as you know it is right next to the mobil petrol station on the corner of western and beverly, you can't miss it! Both the owner Bo and his brother were very helpful and kind, giving us advice on the best things to do. If you're looking looking for a place to stay in LA, without the bells and whistles of an actual hotel, then you can't go past this amazing hostel! We just wish all hostels were exactly like this!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I absolutely loved this place. I did not have a car and had a very low budget so I required public transportation. For people in the same boat, don't worry, it's very easy. If you're looking to get a TAP card they have them at the Green Line Aviation Station, which is reachable via the G shuttle. It's about a two hour public transportation ride to the hostel. The bus should let off right in front. After having read about how hard other people were having finding the place, I actually found it pretty quickly. It's right next to the gas station on the corner, very easy to find.

My room was in the front of the hostel so there was a bit of noise from the street I had to deal with but it wasn't too bad. There is 'quiet time' at 10pm so, other than foot steps outside the room, it was very quiet. The foot steps and door closing were very loud though. It was all hard wood floors. The room was very nice. It had a refrigerator, a desk and chair, a television, a lamp and clock, and the bed was very comfortable. A towel was also included. The free water everyday was very nice as well. The WiFi worked great too.

The bathrooms were great. Hot water and good pressure. There was also soap and conditioner in the showers. They were cleaned everyday.

If you're relying on public transportation it's very easy to get around. The buses pick up right outside the hostel. And if you have a TAP card it's really easy to get anywhere. The DASH bus that picks up down the street does not accept the weekly pass though, but it's only .50.

I will definitely stay here again if I come back to LA. In my opinion, it was the perfect place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, QC, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Travelling alone is not always obvious when you are the only one paying for your accommodation and this place was one of my options being a cheap stay and in a safe area (my sister who lived in LA for a couple of years approved it before me reserving).
I did visit LA a couple of times myself and I wanted to stay near Hollywood/ West Hollywood as these were the neighbourhoods that I was used to staying at.
The other option was another hostel right next to Hollywood blvd but it was still 15$ more a night which I didn't think was worth the difference in price although now thinking about it, it might of prevented me in renting a car because I got so fed up of taking buses and walking from the hostel, that I just rented a car!

The hostel is not really easy to find and I am quite good in orientation - the hostel is hidden by the gaz station. This also kind of relieved me as gaz stations are open early or even 24hrs if ever i need anything urgent or something crazy happens.

I got room #4 which was right in front of the printer/ coffee/ sink area... I didn't mind and since I had purchased breakfast food for my mornings, it was great to have everything right in front of your room (they do have cutlery available, bowls, napkins and all) but this area is always lit by halogen lights and I'm a deep sleeper and the lights kept me awake from night to night... There should be night lights or something past a certain time,...

The room also had 1 defect... the safety box was right were the table went up... therefore, each time I needed something in the safe, I needed to take everything out from the table to pull it down (it's those tables that hold from the wall) and that was a bit of a nag...
oh and the fridge (which is at the same time the night table - quite neat) is quite loud, so I needed to push the fridge far from the bed or else, I wouldn't of been able to sleep (and I swear, I am a deep sleeper!)
So other than that, the room was clean and modern...
As someone else says, the AC didn't seem to work that much so I was wondering sometimes if it was even working but I guess during the day, it works less and then at night time more...

The bathrooms, for room 4, are all on the other side of the building (the hallways form a sort of a O, so in the middle there are other rooms which you have to go by to get to the other side)... and that was also a little bit of a hassle if you forget something in your room for your shower,... but or else, the bathrooms were A1 - even had shampoo and conditioner(?) dispensers and very modern as well.

There is not alot near the hostel - there is a asian grocery store a few blocks south on Western which is convenient but a little over priced for your regular american food (milk, cereal, etc...) but awesome asian importations (hello kitty everything, etc...lol)
Right in front of this grocery store seemed to have a cute pastry store for morning croissant and coffee - not sure if it was good as I didn't go.

The front door is quite loud when closing and opening,... and although I did want to be on my own - I found it a little hostile not crossing anybody and just hearing from your room noises and kinda living in a ghost hotel...

Parking wasn't a biggy, when there was no parking, there was parking on Ridgewood St. a few blocks away - I actually got to see a filming one night while walking back from my car. Neighbourhood seems very safe!

So in all, I would recommend this hostel for solo travellers on a budget. Would I go back? Probably but hopefully with someone as I got a bit home sick not seeing anyone or being able to talk to anyone at the hostel...
Oh and the licorice in the entrance is not edible... but thanks anyways!

Room Tip: Room 4 is right in front of the coffee machine/sink and has lights on all night - do not take this r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Sea Girt NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I never review anything but I have to give a review for StayOn Beverly Hostel. After a long trip, nothing was more comforting than arriving in the clean, secure, home-away-from-home that StayOn Beverly provided. I felt that I always had my privacy, all of the guests were courteous, and the bathrooms were really nice and clean as well. The only difficulty I had was parking on the night I arrived, but it was to be expected since I got in late on a holiday weekend. Other than that, I actually felt guilty after my stay, especially in a city like LA, for having paid such an affordable price for everything Bo and StayOn Beverly provided.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to StayOn Beverly Hostel? Share your experiences!