“Pricey but Good!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bottega Louie

Bottega Louie
700 S. Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Central L.A)
(213) 802-1470
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Los Angeles, California
“Pricey but Good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We walked a couple of blocks from our hotel to this restaurant and it was buzzing when we arrived but we didn't wait long before we were shown to our table. Our server was very friendly and efficient and checked up on us often. It was loud but we really enjoyed the ambiance of the place. We were seated right next to the pizza oven and got a kick out of watching the guys make the pizza. We picked up some good techniques! We split the Burrata pizza and the Modena salad and both were delicious. We didn't finish the pizza so boxed it to take home and it was still yummy the following day. We also split a fruit tart, which wasn't that great, I've had better. We went back the following morning for breakfast and I had the lemon ricotta pancakes, 4 of them on a plate which I could not finish, and they were so good. Hubby got the Eggs Any Style which he really enjoyed and I stole a couple of potatoes and they were delicious. As I said, its not cheap but it is good and we would love to return.

Visited March 2014

“Little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

After reading rave reviews before our trip and getting local recommendations we visited for an evening meal.

The main restaurant area was busy so e chose to sit in the informal cafe bar area.

We felt the service was inattentive and we received no help making room for a wheelchair at the table.

The food was ok but nothing special in our opinion.

Maybe we caught it on a bad day but we were a little underwhelmed.

San Jose, Costa Rica
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I went here with a bunch of friends and I really enjoyed.

The restaurant is really noisy, so I think it's great with friends...

If you go there, you gotta try their portobella mushrooms fries! Best thing in the menu (note: I am not vegan!).

The macaroons and pizza are also worth to try!

San Diego, California
“A Delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We came for dessert and coffee, and could not have been more delighted with the delicious and utterly beautiful sweets, the decor and ambience and friendly, patient and helpful server. Truly enjoyable all the way around. I can't wait to return to LA for my new favorite destination!

• Visited March 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The Skinny:

Decor: all white
Bathroom: clean, elegant
Service: Hostess (poor), Waiter (ok), Manager (one was nice, the other flighty)
Coke Factor: from the gun, perfect carbonation
Food: 36 of 8000+ Restaurants? its okay, not amazing
Wait time: 1hour 20 minutes
Noise Level: Deafening

I have a list of places all over LA that I want to try and this place had been on it for awhile. You CAN NOT make reservations so we tried to get there before 7pm on a Saturday night. We arrived at 7p and put our names in. Nico, the hostess said it was a 30-40 minute wait. Okay we thought, we will wait. We wandered over to the bakery section, I bought some bread and desserts. I ordered a coke at the bar, tried to talk to my friend but it was soooo loud. The cavernous ceilings with no baffling make the place incredibly loud. We stood off to the side and waited. At the 40 minute mark we asked the Hostess Nico how much longer? She said 15 more minutes. It was so loud my husband had to go outside. There is no system in place for the hostess to call out names, or text you so I am not sure how they find people to seat them unless you keep checking for your table. We looked at the menu and kept waiting. After 25 minutes (now waiting 1 hour and 5 minutes) we ask again. Then the hostess "Stand over there" pointing to a blank wall where another couple is waiting. I see a guy in a suit and ask him if he is a manager. I ask him what is going on? We were told 30-40, its now 1 hour and 10 minutes. He apologizes and says he will talk to the hostess. He tells us they are now prepping a table for us.

This is my favorite part:
While we are still standing there, a woman in a gray dress (turns out she is a manager also - Emily Wallace) sees 2 young guys and happily greets them and hugs one of them right next to us. She asks them how they are and if they want to eat? SHE CAN SEAT THEM RIGHT NOW. Unbelievable.
A hostess shows up and takes us over to a 2 top table - we are 3 and now we have to squeeze into a space for 2. At this point it has been 1 hour and 20 minutes. I give up, I am so hungry, I do not want to fight for a bigger table.
The waiter comes over and sees our angry and disappointed faces and does the best he can to make us happy. If you are stuck at a 2 top with 3 people, don't order a lot of food as there is no where to put it.

As a bonus, a couple sat next to us and we asked them how long they waited - 20 minutes.

We ordered and ate:

House bread and butter - bread was okay, not warm, soft and chewy
Grilled artichokes -excellent flavor and sauce, nice touch of the tart olives
Caesar salad- nothing to write home about, barely any dressing - skip it
Calamari - your standard fried fare, bland tomato dipping sauce - skip it
Shrimp Scampi- terrific flavors on the shrimp, mashed potatoes unremarkable
Scallops - lentils undercooked, scallops very good
Sausage Pizza - large portion, yummy sausage, good crust but soggy bottom

Do not try to have a conversation here. The noise level is truly deafening. You have to shout to be heard. The guy next to us was shouting the whole time that I could not even here my friend on the other side of me who was 6 inches away at our squeezed table. I couldn't hear my hubby across the table at all.

Nick, the first Manager we dealt with came over to apologize again and gave us his card. He was very nice, took the shrimp off of our check as a gesture for long restaurant wait and the abdominal behavior of the other Manager Emily. We paid and before we left, Emily decided to come over and try to make excuses for what happened and tried to say it never happened (it did) and here was her card (why?) and on and on with that fake LA supposed sincerity. Honestly, even though she is the manager with more experience, she should take a lesson from Nick who was clearly more professional in the handling of this whole ordeal.

A meal should be enjoyable, not a struggle. Good food and good conversation was what we wanted. You will not find it here.

• Visited March 2014