“Only bought a macaroon” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bottega Louie

Bottega Louie
700 S. Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)
(213) 802-1470
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 7,958 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Bistro, Brasserie
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
san diego,California
“Only bought a macaroon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Average to say the least, caters to the spoilt brats and schmucks from the burbs. Noisy and overpricesd

Visited April 2013

Saddle River, New Jersey
“Great dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

What a fantastic place! As you first enter, an amazing selection of colorful macaroons greets you, followed by a scrumptious variety of pastries, all attractively showcased in glass displays. The restaurant has very tall ceilings and the decor is minimalistic, so noise level is pretty high. The service is very friendly and the food delicious. We started with a tasty onion soup and a generous arugula salad. The main course was equally satisfying, orrechiette served with sausage and radicchio, and penne with perfectly cooked shrimps and tomatoes. We shared an excellent lemon tart. Dinner at "Louie" is a must when visiting LA. Don't miss it!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Beautiful, Classy Eats!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

What a treat! Simple & elegant decor with great food! A bit pricey if you're truly hungry. portobello fries ($13) are wonderful! The Kobe burger ($16) is fabulous! & get a macaron (small cookie, $2.50 ea.) for dessert! Everything was wonderful!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Olney, Maryland
“Always good! Wonderful small plates and excellent entrees”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I come to downtown LA quite often and usually dine here at least once each visit. It's always packed with a very vibrant crowd weeknights. The wine list is very nice. This east coast girl can't get enough of west coast artichokes. We typically get them from jars. Bottega Louie's grilled artichokes are so good! They are perfectly grilled and aren't swimming in heavy mayo. This visit I enjoyed the shrimp pomodoro.

A couple of downsides. This place is really loud. Tile everywhere. I was with a friend and could not hear a word she said. I was wishing I was dining alone. Our waitperson was great--happy, perky and attentive. But the kitchen sent out our entrees while we were in the middle of our appetizers. That us a big no no, especially at this price point. But I would still go back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“So delicious!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I loved this restaurant/bakery so much that I visited it twice during my short trip to Los Angeles! I would recommend visiting the bakery in the morning since that's when you'll have the greatest selection. My second visit was at night around 6pm and half the desserts were already sold out. My friends and I bought a variety of desserts to try: key lime pie, an eclair, a fruit tart, a pistachio dessert, lemon tart, a shortcake-like dessert, a cheesecake, and some macarons. Yes, we are big dessert fans :). We shared these desserts among the five of us, and the key lime pie got the most votes for best dessert. They were all really good though, and I would eat them all again. So yummy. If they had one of these where I lived, I would gain 20 pounds from all the delicious desserts! The desserts are expensive ($7+ each), but so worth it!

We also had lunch in the restaurant, which was also pretty good. If I was rating the restaurant alone though, it'd probably be a 3.5-4 star. The service was kind of slow considering the high server-to-customer ratio. The food was decent, but pricey for what it was. We got the carpaccio, ceviche, duck prosciutto, clam linguine, a fish, short ribs, and truffle mashed potatoes to share. The mashed potatoes were our favorite, followed by the short ribs. The ribs were very flavorful and tender. Our least favorite was the carpaccio, which really wasn't anything special and actually a bit disappointing. The ceviche was also pretty average.

The architecture of the building is pretty cool. It's very white on the inside with big windows and high ceilings. It feels very spacious. It can get pretty loud in the dining area though.

I would recommend coming here for the bakery. The restaurant is okay too, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere