““ehhhh – at the right price it’s okay”” 3 of 5 stars

Shelter Hotels Los Angeles
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   457 S. Mariposa Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90020   |
Ranked #131 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
bc
““ehhhh – at the right price it’s okay””
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

In summary: I paid less than $75/night for a king room. At that price this hotel was a reasonable value considering the various pluses (location and price) and minuses (overall quality of experience). This is definitely not a 'hotel' experience but at the right price it would be a reasonable trade-off if you are prepared and informed.

Location:
The hotel location is pretty convenient for getting around and it’s close to a red/purple line train station. There are no good restaurants in the immediate area so you need to drive to eateries and entertainment. This is an apartment building converted into hotel rooms.

Room and condition:
I had a top floor corner king room and the room was reasonably clean and quiet(ish) – it’s definitely an urban location with the associated noise but that’s the location. The feel/look is modern but the finishes are budget and are showing wear and tear already. They have added hooks and towel ladder in the bathroom so there is now somewhere for towels (but the hook was loose on the wall). I wasn’t impressed with the polyester (60%) / cotton (40%) sheets – in hot weather who wants to sleep on the equivalent of plastic wrap. There were four light bulbs burnt out in my room at check-in. The general level of service and my not caring much about light levels is why I didn’t report the burnt out bulbs – all I’d say is that I’m surprised housekeeping never noticed. I did advise the desk at check-out so they could deal with it before the next guest.

Service:
Front desk is always staffed and staff were friendly however this is definitely not a “hotel” experience. The staff were young (and seemed inexperienced) and usually unable to help with questions like “is there a mailbox nearby?”, “how much is the bus?”, or “is the wifi down?”.

There is no hotel safe/lock box and nothing in the rooms so if you are an international guest be prepared to drag your passport around LA with you.

Complaint: I emailed the hotel multiple times before travelling to find out how they handled late night check-ins – none of my 4 emails received a response and I was using the email link on the hotel web-site. I finally phoned and was told that it was no problem – the front desk was always staffed and I could just check-in. Unfortunately what they did not tell me is the ‘front desk’ is on the second floor of the hotel and that they lock the hotel at night and there is no doorbell/buzzer. I nearly traveled without my cellphone – thank goodness I had it with me as you have to CALL the hotel to get in so you can check-in. Some more detailed information about late night check in would have been helpful. When I got in the staff member on duty told me I should have beeped my car horn – at 1:30 am, inches from the hotel where people were sleeping. Not impressed.

Misc:
Internet/wifi was constantly weak and I kept losing the signal – there is no good location in the hotel were you will get a stronger signal (I did ask – repeatedly).

Parking – not enough spaces for the number of rooms so whenever they are full – like weekends – you will end up double parked and must leave your keys with the front desk for them to move your car as needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor corner room - pleasant room for a stay.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you for your review. We are working on the issues that you mentioned in the review. Thank you for letting us know about the light bulb. We have since replaced it. I'm very suprised to hear that we were not able to answer your questions regarding public transportation considering that my entire staff uses it on a daily basis, but we will work with them to make sure that we get it right next time.

Again, thank you for the comments. All reviews help us to improve and grow.

Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

This hotel is ok, room and hotel facilities are basic. The staff are friendly and helpful with stupid tourist questions. It's a bit out of the way, $35 cab ride to Hollywood or the Sunset Strip. Generally I was happy as I got a good deal.

• Stayed September 2011
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and the kind review. We are very close to all of the major public transportation systems including the subway. It would have only been $1.50 one way to get to Hollywood. Maybe the next time you stay with us you can try it out. Quick, Easy and Painless...Unlike driving in Los Angeles!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I come to LA often on business and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The price, comfort, cleanliness, location, and service can't be beat!

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you so much for coming back. You are truly appreciated.

phoenix arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

beautiful beds with lovely fresh linens and a south facing window that opened so we could enjoy fresh air and sunshine on palm trees. we really enjoyed Shelter Hotel LA and are returning for another stay in two weeks. at our request, we had a 4th floor room that was nice and quiet, especially when we closed the windows at night and turned on A/C. the korean neighborhood was fun and interesting and safer than walking downtown in manhattan, with lots of grandmas pushing strollers. might be a bit rougher down on wilshire but that's true in any major city late at night. there's a great coffee shop at mariposa and wilshire and some wonderful korean food two blocks to the east of the coffee shop, north side of street, and had the word "park" in it. Not least of its charms is the PRICE. to be this close to downtown and in a charming place for 110 bucks with free parking````, a great bargain. i sooo wish they'd finally finish the pool, but otherwise, we continue to enjoy it. thanks, Jason. Cynthia

Room Tip: request 4th floor, south facing.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the kind words. We're working on the pool situation. Thank you for your patience.

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I chose to stay here from the pictures on the website. The decor is slick and modern but the room was bare and boring. Nothing on the walls but a flat screen that I couldn't get to work. There was a desk in the room that was very wobbly. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was nice...two very important things to me. There was nowhere to hang up clothes (no closet). I asked reception and they brought an armoire into the room for me very quickly. The hallways of the hotel smell a little like mold at first. Maybe it was just the humidity in the air. Not sure.

There's gated underground parking, which fills up late at night so you have to leave your keys with reception so you don't block anyone in. The hotel is under construction but I didn't notice any noise at all, just a little dust and various areas under construction. There was an apartment building right outside my window. There were three or four balconies that could see right into my room very easily...that was kind of a drag.

The location is great. Super close to anything you want to do in Hollywood. I would probably stay again as long as it was a discounted rate. It will probably be a 3-star hotel if they spruce it up a little when the construction is done. Right now, I'd give it 2.5 stars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for posting this review. As you mentioned the hotel is under renovations and we are making changes all of the time. We are currently working with local artists and anticipate having artwork on the walls shortly. In addition to that we will also be adding more furniture to the rooms as well so that they are not bare. Please come back and see us again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

In terms of location, this hotel is just great. It's located in Korea town and is virtually next door to Beverly Hills. There are some very nice Korean and Japanese restaurants within a walking distance and the area is very clean (for LA standards) and safe at night. Our room was equipped with a large and very comfrortable bed, so the sleep quality was just like in our own bed at home. The flat screen tv was great and had the most impressive selection of channels (over 300). The Wi-Fi was free and available in room, which was a big bonus in a big city like LA. Parking was offered free of charge as well in a secured underground garage. Despite all these pros there were also some cons. This hotel is under constant renovations. When we stayed there, their lobby was being renovated and the staff worked out of a tiny area just in front of the lift.. Also our room had no fridge, no microwave, not even a simple tea pot. There was no phone and no room service. But overall we were still happy with our choice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. You will be happy to know that the staff are no longer working in the small space near the garage anymore. We have opened the lobby fully. We apologize for the odd setup that we had going

athens
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Location
The hotel sits at the Korean district in a quiet neighborhood. It is mostly surrounded with houses and you will need a car to get to most of the good restaurants or cafes around the district as well as to Hollywood. The car is a must option once you decide to stay at this hotel and if the reason of you visiting the city is for sightseeing since taxis are nowhere to be seen even if you reach the closest avenue which is Wilshire (5 minute walk). Buses run from Wilshire too but you need to know where you’re going and be well informed. That is not a problem of the hotel but obviously of the city that does not provide any convenient transportation services whatsoever.
The hotel was recently renovated, as all of the reviews and the hotel’s website claimed, so we booked a double room for 2 nights on a special 2+1 night’s price. The hotel’s sign though is not even visible from outside and both the rooms and building need a serious makeover.
Room
The room was cozy and big but literally empty! That didn’t really discourage us but there are very essential things missing from their rooms. There is free Wi-Fi available as long as you ask for the password! They don’t provide any room service or breakfast but they make a really warm gesture by offering coffee and cupcakes every morning at the front desk.
We also encountered a problem with the elevator which doors didn’t shut easily and that was a bit annoying. The hotel’s architectural structure was really odd and we couldn’t find our room easily. All in all the hotel looks like it is a friendly family run business with little to limited amenities and services but certainly worth staying for the price we paid and the generally ridiculously overpriced hotels in LA.

Room Tip: Check for special offers before booking a room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and the review as well. I take full responsibilty for the deposit situation. There are no excuses for the mistake that I made.

To those reading this review, since this review was posted the deposit was returned to the guest.

Jason

Been to Shelter Hotels Los Angeles? Share your experiences!