“Very Nice Hotel-Almost Too Trendy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Hollywood

You added W Hollywood to your Saves list
W Hollywood
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6250 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Hollywood)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #81 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
St. Louis, MO
“Very Nice Hotel-Almost Too Trendy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Check in was quick and easy. Room type was not exactly what was promised. Type of room selected was to be view of either the Hollywood Sign or Hollywood Station (which is the Hollywood Blvd entrance to the hotel). Our view was of a parking lot. Not so amazing. However, the hotel, lobby, and room was very clean, neat, and stylish. THe location was also very central to the areas in LA we traveled too. Also, everyone we dealt with was very accommodating and friendly, and we were provided with the type of service we look forward to when staying at Starwood Hotels.
Other then the view issue described above, I have no major complaints about this hotel (other than the outrageous parking fees and paying for high speed internet which is with just about every Starwood Hotel). I would think since we only stay at Starwood Hotels and I am an SPG member, parking/internet would be comped or something. Even Holiday Inn offers free WIFI.
Drais night club (in W Hotel) is a big Hollywood Hot Spot with a long line forming every night. During this time it would be hard to get in the hotel because of the amount of people/cars. If I was a night club type of person, this would have been a great place to stay and I could have just stumbled back to my room at the end of the night.
I would recommend this hotel mostly for younger hipper people who are looking for a good nightlife scene. I am 32 and from the midwest, and felt a bit old and out of place at this hotel. If I return and stay in the same area, I think I will pick a different hotel just for that reason (and that reason alone).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Just got back from the W in Hollywood were I redeemed 48,000 Starwood points for 2 rooms for 2 nights. We had 3 adults with us and 2 children. When I booked the hotel through Starwood, I was told that the room had a sofa bed. I thought great and booked 2 king rooms figuring my kid would share the bed and left the sofa bed for the other adult in our party. No sofa bed exists in these rooms, but they have a cushion on a ledge 3 feet off the ground by the window, not safe for anyone to sleep in. I found this out when I checked in and they basically said sorry and that they could cancel my reservation for me. I wanted them to throw in another room, which theyw ould not, but would sell me one. I am a Starwood Gold Member and deserve to be treated better. After basically threatening to sleep in the lobby, they switched one of our rooms to a 2 queen room 5 floors away from our other room. We were on the 2nd floor and it was unbelievably noisy from the club by the pool and the people pre-partying in their rooms. Finally quieted down about 2 am. I complained to Starwood and was told they would get back to me within a couple of days, that was over a week ago. This hotel is not family friendly at all. If you have kids, do not stay here unless they are old enough to go clubbing. Hotel itself was beautiful, but service was lacking.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
w_hollywood_10, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
I am terribly sorry that you did not have a good experience with us. We value all our guests, but in particular those who are part of the SPG program. Please be assured that I will review your comments with my team today. (You may also contact me directly to discuss this further.) Although the hotel is focused more on an adult crowd, we do enjoy seeing families with us. An alternate property that is not quite so chaotic is our sister hotel, the W Los Angeles. I wish you a great remainder to your week.

Jim
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I stayed at the W Hollywood with my younger sister for 3 nights at the beginning of August. We got a great deal on Priceline (about 120$ a night). I had contacted the hotel manager beforehand to ask for a quiet room. I mentioned my email again upon checkin and we were given a room on the 7th floor facing the side street. We never heard any of the loud music that other people have mentioned.
The pool is indeed only open to hotel guests during certain hours of the day. I loved the pool.
There was only one bathrobe in the room when we checked in even though the room had two queen sized beds. I had to call the Whenever serive 3 times until the 2nd robe was finally delivered. This was a bit annoying as it was 6:30pm and we wanted to use the pool before it closed at 7pm. The gym was also great.
Definitely talk to the concierge if you want to go to the nightclub. He was able to get us right ahead of the line. I loved the nightclub. The drinks were very strong and therefore good value for money.
The free WiFi in the Living Room was very convenient. We order room service once late at night. Nothing special though. The fries arrived cold and we complained when we checked out. The charge for thr fries was taken off our bill.
The room cleaning service could be improved. The maid forgot to replace our wine glasses, provide us with new ice bags etcs.
I loved the interior of the room. I now want to buy one these bars that they have in every room.
We parked the car for 16$ a day in the Trader's Joe parking lot right around on the corner on the same block.
I can't wait to come back with my husband.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
alyskie, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you and your sister enjoyed your recent W Hollywood experience! Thank you for your feedback regarding Whatever/Whenever, Style and In Room Dining! This helps each department to continue to improve the experiences of future guests! We look forward to welcoming you and your husband next time! Let us know prior to your visit and we will make sure you are in a quiet room again! Thank you, Alyssa Kiefer, W Hollywood
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I have just returned from a 3 day stay at the W Hollywood with my SIL. We finished off a 2 night stay at the W after spending a week in Vegas.

I really enjoyed this hotel and it has been my favourite over the last six 4+* US hotels I've stayed in. Yes it is a little pretentious with all the ropes and bouncers but it is in Hollywood. I loved the design of the hotel and the rooms are beautifully furnished. However I wasn't fond of the glass window dividing the shower and beds and thought this was a bit much for a shared queen room.

Check in was great - loved the girl at the desk. She was very warm and friendly and thankfully gave us an early check in at 11:30. I had booked through Hotwire after working out it would be the W and there was no problems with upgrading us to a double queen room. I thought this may have been a problem as when I tried to book through their direct website it stated that a double queen room was not available for the dates specified! So it was a big bonus!

We hadn't decided if we were going to use their valet parking (a bit pricey at $35 a day when there is a car park across the street) but upon check in and entering our room, the concierge rang to inform us that they had removed our bags from the car and were bringing them straight up. We hadn't even asked for this so it was very nice to not have to worry about it. They then did valet our car and the service for this was wonderful.

There were also a few times when we arrived back from some shopping and parked out the front with a line of people waiting for entry and we wouldn't even be required to show our instant access passes, and would just receive a welcome back! with an immediate opening of the ropes.

We used whatever/whenever a few times and they were super helpful and we also had an experience of the LA nightlife downstairs on a Friday night. It wasn't really our style but it was nice to try it out. On checkout the same lovely girl remembered my (long) name.

I would definitely return to the W Hollywood and now am finding it hard to look past other W hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

have stayed at many Ws around the world and this ranks near the top (HK is a step up). rooms are beautifully designed and of great quality. service is terrific with personal outreach to guests to arrange whatever is needed. had a great time at the sunday pool party thanks to the staff taking care of us.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
alyskie, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Well hello there! Thank you for such a wonderful review! We are honored to have made your list of top W Hotels! Very glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience and that our service and amenities measured up to what you have come to expect from our hotels! We would love the chance to welcome you again soon! Warmest Wishes, Alyssa Kiefer, W Hollywood
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

I need to preface this review by saying I am comparing this hotel to my experiences at W hotels in other major cities (San Francisco, New York, Seattle) where the W is my preferred place to stay - and comparing this hotel to other high end, trendy hotels I have stayed at. If this was a general review for style, location, amenities compared to say the Holiday Inns of this world, I would give it a higher rating.

Upon hours of travel I arrived and went up to my room (no one even offered to help with my bags once they got them to the lobby, which was odd, but I could handle it). The room itself is similar in design to other Ws, so was nice, but the view was of an ugly parking lot. The lighting is mood lighting meaning even with every light on, you can't really see, which for a business traveler is not ideal, though typical of these trendy-style hotels. The main place the lighting bothered me was in the bathroom. I think that room should at least be bright enough to put in my contacts without struggling, but the mood lighting extended to the bathroom. A few minutes after I arrived a man came in to check on restocking the room and fridge; I thought this should have been handled prior to my check-in. He came back 10 minutes later, forgetting he had already done my room. The internet connection didn't work at first even though it charged me so I had to go down and talk to the front desk who refunded my money and I reconnected. So my first half an hour set the tone. After that it was just minor service things. My floor towel was never replaced in the 4 days I was there and had a big black shoe print, obviously from the housekeeper, on it all 4 days (in general, the cleaning job was sub-par). I never got new moisturizer despite using it up (though they did replace shampoo etc. which I didn't need). Room service didn't bring milk for my tea; upon calling to have them remove my tray one night they never came. My colleague had a broken toilet upon check-in; her in-room checkout was broken (she was only there 1 night and only in the room to sleep so these were annoyances in a brief stay). These are little things but are a-typical of what service level I have been treated to at other Ws or the other similar class hotels.

I had good experiences at Delfine - nice servers and when one made 2 minor mistakes he treated us to 2 free desserts to make up, which was nice. The food/wine was pretty good and outside was nice though the inside atmosphere is a bit dull. The hotel concierges were friendly though I didn't rely on them for much.

I agree with other reviewers re: Drai's. You should think of this as Drai's nightclub with an associated hotel and not the W hotel with Drai's nightclub. I find it rude and annoying that getting back into my hotel at night the bouncers (even on the parking side of the hotel) treated hotel guests a bit rudely and I had to queue up (!) and show my room key at multiple ropes inside & out just to get through to my room. Also, as there were private events daily while I was there, this closes off one of the hotel entrances I would have used out onto Hollywood Blvd. Hotel guests have to exit via "the back door" into parking lot like 2nd class citizens.

They seem to be running a successful club, but I think the effort put into the hotel service (in relation to other Ws) is dubious. This hotel would have been nice if I was there for a clubbing weekend but if you are not going to have a fun weekend partying at Drai's, there are much better hotels in the same class and price range.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

We've stayed at several W hotels and have always been impressed with the hotels, lobbies, and rooms. W Hollywood was no exception. The quality of the hotel was very good and my only real complaints would be the terrible pillows. Everything else was very nice. The concierge and staff were top quality as well. This really is a beautiful hotel.

This hotel is clearly not designed for children. In fact, we only saw one other child during our entire stay. The rooftop pool is great, but clearly designed as a spot "to see and be seen" for the young Hollywood crowd as opposed to a family friendly hotel. There were lots of parties and loud music during our stay, and the focus group of the hotel is clearly the 20-30 year old Hollywood crowd. The hotel is great, and my pre-teen girls thought all of this was cool to see, but families with kids need to know this up front.

My only other warning about this hotel is that it is a long way away from all of the tourist attractions in Hollywood as well as the Beverly Hills area. Overall, we were happy with our stay and the hotel is very beautiful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to W Hollywood? Share your experiences!