“A stylish hotel but it misses on the little things” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #71 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
“A stylish hotel but it misses on the little things”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Like any W, the hotel feels hip and stylish and the place to be. The public space is nice, comfortable and plentiful. The rooms, while on the small size, are clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The hotel staff is very friendly. But the hotel misses on the small things -- the the small things are often the difference between good and very good. Poor quality towels, low water pressure, sometime a lot of rings on the phone before anyone picks up, and a maintenance worker who knocked on my door at 2:30am thinking I had called to have a leak fixed. Also, they charge for wifi at a time when hotels are increasingly including it for free.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Hollywood! I am glad to see you enjoyed the design of the property and your room.

I do apologize for the inconvenience with Engineering, I will be sure to share your feedback. We do offer complimentary high speed wireless internet in our Living Room for all of our guests, as well as offering it as an welcome amenity for our SPG Platinum guests.

I hope you think of us again on your next visit to Hollywood.
Brad W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Hotel is in a fabulous location on Hollywood and Vine. If you want the Hollywood people watching and tourism experience this place is it.

Got the hotel on priceline so I only paid $149 with tax. Got a great room with two beds on fifth floor and with of the famous window seats. Did not hear noise from street or nightclub. (If you use priceline call in advance to request the room you want.)

Hotel is massive complex with Bliss spa, blo pro blow dry bar, residences and several restaurants. Vegas aesthetic with hollywood glitz.

From the moment we arrived service was amazing. Bags were automatically taken to our room while we went off to Bliss. We arrived back in the room to a wave machine running. They bend over backwards to help you.

Gym is good. Free coffee in morning in front of gift shop in lobby. And pay for the hotel parking. It is a little steep but worth every penny for convenience and safety.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the review! I am glad to see you loved the location as much as we do! It is really exciting being right in the middle of the action, especially during this amazing transitional period for Hollywood.

I am glad to see you experienced so many of the features of the property, including Bliss Spa!

I hope to welcome you back to Hollywood again soon,

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Agreed with most reviewers, you need to have the right mood and attitude to stay in this hotel. Did not get to enjoy the swimming pool as I was there during the colder December month. Also, it is like a nightclub almost every night. During the weekend, in-house guests can't even get access to the rooftop pool as it was transformed into a bar and club where you have to pay to get up there.

Stayed on a SPG Titanium status and got upgraded to a suite. I believe is the Marvellous suite. Nice ambience, nice bed, spacious room and living area plus a large bathroom which is a plus side. But the only down side is it overlooks the side of the hotel overlooking a large public carpark. A suite or room facing Hollywood side would be ideal.

Overall, it is a good stay but not WOW yet. Breakfast service was fine but not great, SPG Titanium status gets free Wifi and daily Fiji water too which is a plus.

Will probably stay at Beverly Hills the next trip to LA.

Room Tip: Book a room / suite overlooking Hollywood side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us in Hollywood. We do our best to set guest expectation for the type of property W Hollywood is.

We do our best to provide access to Drai’s to our guests, however access depends on capacity. In addition, we do have reserved lounge chairs at WET for hotel guests during the days as well.
I do hope next time you are looking for a Hollywood experience you think of us!

Cool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This review is for the W Hollywood.

Property: W Hollywood
Location: Hollywood, California
Address: 6250 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, California 90028
Phone: (323) 798-1300
Website: www.whollywoodhotel.com
Room Type/Class: King Room (Room #1120)
Date: January 31-February 1, 2013
Booking Source: Hotwire
Overall Rating: 4/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

I choose this property due to it's proximity to the Hollywood Palladium, as I was covering a concert there and it is about two blocks away, so a short walk.

This was my first stay at one of the properties in the "W Hotels" collection by Starwood, which are designed to be more trendy/contemporary/luxurious, and geared toward a more... youthful lifestyle.

The property is valet-only at $35 per night.

Check-in was smooth and the staff was excellent.

The room was very clean, and overall pretty impressive. A lot of places for storage of clothes and more.

It definitely caters to the "party" type of guest, with maybe not so kid-friendly flourishes offered on a pay per use basis (alcohol, condoms... oxygen?), as well as high priced snacks. There is an octopus-looking electronics piece on the desk that offers chargers for a number of different brands of cell phone.

The view of my room was okay - inward-looking mostly at other sides of the building.

The bed is comfortable but strangely really, really low to the floor.

I did have after hours room service during the one night of my stay, which was pricey, but good.

I was there just for the concert down the street, so didn't really take advantage to any of the other things the property had to offer.

The location is great for a lot of the Hollywood attractions. I would stay again.

However, I was sent a revised bill after checking out, with an additional $18 in charges which I found to be in error - I wrote back noting this in an e-mail to the address provided and it bounced back in three attempts as an invalid e-mail address.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Fairly new property. Trendy, stylish, clean, great customer service, near subway, reasonably priced for location. Would prefer if WiFi was included in the price of the room. I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for leaving a review of your recent stay with us! I am glad to see you enjoyed your time with us, and hope to welcome you back again soon.

For next time, we do offer complimentary high speed wireless internet in our Living Room for all of our guests.

Thanks,
Brad
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Great location if you want to be in Hollywood. Dark halls, dark elevator. Club vibe everywhere. Felt like I was actually staying IN a club. Cool lighting throughout. Instead of doors in some places, they have curtains. Very interesting. Party people everywhere. Helped a super friendly guy in the elevator because he could not press his floor as he had a drink in each hand! (This was a Thursday night)

When I arrived at 4pm, the hall had what looked like breakfast room service trays rotting in the halls. Gross. But otherwise, the place seemed really clean.

Rooms were, well, Hollywood. Almost like sleeping in a gift shop. The amount of alcohol for sale on the counters in the room was pretty enticing, especially if you want to spend 5x the actual cost. One shelf was filled with lots of tasty, expensive snacks.

If you are the type who loves to pay $5 for a bottle of water, this is your place! They are everywhere in the room. Everywhere. They do give you a free bottle of the cheap water though, hidden behind one of the $5 ones. If you do not like paying extra for water, maybe you want to pay extra for oxygen. They have oxygen you can buy. It’s true. It is mixed in with the snacks. No joke.

$500 hold on my credit card? Nobody told me they were going to do that. That is sort of steep. I suppose sleeping in the middle of a gift shop, they want to be sure you don’t skip town without paying for that $45 bottle of Makers you tried to take a sip of and put the top back on? $500 is too high a hold.

Great coffee maker in the room! Kidding, they don’t have one in the room. I have stayed at countless hotels and this is the first time I have not had a coffee maker in the room!

TWITTER ALERT: I posted that it was LAME not to have a coffee maker in the room at the W, Hollywood. To my surprise, 15 minutes later, I received a phone call from the front desk asking me if I wanted them to bring up a coffee maker. That was cool! (I said no because I was embarrassed). I then posted on Twitter that I would like $1,000,000 and they sent me a shout out, on Twitter, telling me that was not going to happen. Seriously. I am not making this up.

Super clean room. AWESOME, comfy, low to the floor bed.

Shower was THE BEST! The shower-head was HUGE and I was very impressed. Loved the shower products and lotion enough to take them home for the wife. Wish they had a bathtub in the room as well. Not the SHOWER/BATH thing, just a separate bath. Very good towels. Thick.

If you ever wanted to have someone watch you take a shower, this is the place! There is pretty much a body window in the shower, so if you are sharing the room, be prepared.

**Walk down the street to Blue Palms Brewhouse if you like beer and good food. Tell Brian I sent you.

I did not park a car here, but I can imagine the parking fee to be somewhere around $400/night?Or maybe $45.

I would for SURE stay here again for $118/night. For $200+ no. Maybe if I was single and trying to impress a female, I would pay over $200/night.

I also would not stay here with my family. Not a family type place, unless you want your kids to grow up thinking clubbing is cool at 40.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Great hotel, great loction. As all W hotels, glitzy, flashy and loud. You really need to be in right mood to stay here otherwise, atmosphere and attitude of ppl around will seriousely put you off...
We stayed for one night. Enough... apart of the Weels and bell service, we got snooty attitude from the rest of staff and were looked up and down before any interaction.
Room was great as always, just not sure about the white on white decor? But loved window seat and bathroom.
Make sure you take a walk across the bridge all the way to the top of the grand staircase, pretty impressive and with amazing view of the lobby.
Hotel is in walking distance to all attractions, with rooftop pool and the bar which looks like you need a month in advance reservation and platinum card to be allowed to.

Room Tip: Not to close to the top, unless you love to party till 5am.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Hello, and thank you for the review! We appreciate any chance for feedback we can receive from our guests. You are absolutely correct, and we do our best to let our guests know that W Hollywood is indeed a very high energy and adult experience.

I am sorry to see that you felt anything but graciousness from our Talent, we do our best to provide amazing service to each person who arrives.

I hope next time you are looking for a truly Hollywood experience you think of us!

Brad W

Been to W Hollywood? Share your experiences!