“Nice rooms, pleasant valet/bellman, mediocre staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #71 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Sacramento, California
“Nice rooms, pleasant valet/bellman, mediocre staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

What to say about this place? This was my second trip here. Stayed for 1 night with another couple and 3 kids. The adults were planning on going up to Drai's for a couple hours while the kids watched a movie but it was closed so we sat in the Library Bar and had a few drinks. The staff and setting are very nice. The prices of drinks-not so nice.

The bellman and valet were pleasant. Always with a friendly greeting when we encountered them. The price to park your car over night is outrageous $38. I parked across the street for $20. The only drawback with that is that there are no ins and outs. The front desk personnel were a little cold. A couple of times they weren't at the desk so I had to wait for someone to show up. The card keys they had for me didn't work for the elevator and I had to go back 3 times to exchange them. The 3rd time the front desk guy asked if I had the card key in my wallet. Next to other credit cards. Really? 3x's and suddenly it's my fault. He had no better luck getting them to work so a bellman took me up to my room and the card keys didn't work there either.

The rooms are wonderful. Nice ambient sounds provided by some special device. Beds were comfortable and bathroom was clean and well stocked. The gym was also spacious and well equipped. One of the best hotel gyms I have ever been to.

Walking outside can be an adventure. Ate at a pizza parlor nearby with a prostitute and weirdo inside.

Overall I would stay here again. The hotel is posh and hip. But I wouldn't stay much longer then 2 nights though.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Enjoyed a two night stay with my wife and our youngest. While this is not necessarily a "family" spot per se, the staff was very accommodating and got us into a corner room where we would be less likely to disturb anyone. We splurged for one of the suites with a view of the main boulevard.

The location is ideal for being able to walk to many interesting shops, restaurants and attractions. The hotel itself is beautiful and what you would expect from W; great linens, comfy beds, and closets and bathrooms that make it hard to go back home!

The concierge was very helpful with dining reservations (kids in Hollywood, you have to be careful) as well as helping us book a tour of the area.

There is a club located on the bottom floor and a hotel pool so it's not at all uncommon to run into bikini models in the elevator during the day and clubbers in the evening. However, this is Hollywood so it is somewhat expected.

Room Tip: The suites are fantastic and a great place to unwind after a long day of walking.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello, and thank you for sharing feedback on your stay at W Hollywood. You are correct, while not necessarily a family resort, we do cater to a wide variety of guests. I am glad that it worked for your family!

We feel that letting guests know what to expect in Hollywood is key to having a great stay, and I am glad to see you knew what to expect in Hollywood.

I hope next time you and your wife (or family again!) visit Hollywood you think of us!

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed for two night with my wife and we were surprised by the quality & the design of the room. It was very stylish and clean. The location is too good. Great value for money and will definitely stay here during my next visit to LA.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Beautiful but not for kids. I got in on a friday night, and it was clubbers EVERYWHERE. The hotel in itself is great, but the desk guy said we got a great view, but we didn't know he ment 'Great View Of The Parking Lot'. The room service was average, but the price for 4 sprites, a personal bacon pizza, kids chicken fingers, a burger, and a meal was $152. Stupid expensive, but great location and good service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for sharing your review of W Hollywood. You are correct, we are a very adult oriented property, and do our best to set those expectations with our guests. All of our In Room Dining prices are available, so I do hope it was not a surprise. Our In Room Dining is very competitive in the Hollywood area.

I hope you think of us on your next visit to Los Angeles!

Have a great day,

Hertfordshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've stayed at the W Hollywood a number of times on business. Each time I'm left with the impression that they are trying sooo hard to be a cool hotel, they don't always get the basics right. On different occasions I've had additional items invoiced to my credit card after I left and not been informed, found that for some reason my home address was Milan, England (obviously not geographers) and had a broken black out blind in my room which was not fixed despite complaining every morning for 3 days.

The heart of the hotel is the central bar/lounge, half of which is indoors and half out. This can get very busy in the evenings (its a posers paradise, but it is LA) and sometimes roped off for private parties. While the hotel will sometimes issue cards to let you in to the area it is irritating that having paid to use the hotel, so much of it is out of bounds.

The rooms are quite comfortable they have great multi function charging stations to re-charge pretty much any device, overall however they lack any "wow" factor, compared for example to the W Barcelona. Some rooms can be a little noisy if they face the street. On my last visit they also seemed to have stopped the wake up call which started "Sorry to wake you from your dreams" which was always quite sweet.. for a day or so.

Overall its quite a decent hotel and in may ways sums up LA in being a bit of a triumph of style over substance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for sharing your review of W Hollywood. W Hotels are very local in nature, and we do feel that we epitomize a Hollywood experience. However, we do take service very seriously, and I hope our Talent is able to impress that upon you.

I do apologize for any issues with billing, as we take those very seriously. I hope that they were resolved timely, and if you ever need, please feel free to reach out directly to me at brad.wulff@whotels.com.

We can also get your address corrected, England or Italy don’t sound like too bad of a home base!

I hope we can welcome you back soon,
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at W - the room was spacious and glamorous! The staff were friendly and helpful; and the location was perfect for us as we were seeing a show right over the road. Only drawbacks were the slightly sketchy location and the ridiculous price of a phone call, so watch out. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would return.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Sunday night at the W hollywood, live jazz to relax your mind with a glass of wine. I plan on going next weekend again! Musical vibes, just show your ID at the door and enjoy sweet jazz. I enjoyed my Sunday night, very calm, cool and relaxing. Since I've been to LA this is the best Sunday thus far! Big up to Chris "W insider" nuff respect!

• Stayed December 2012
I am so glad you were able to join us for Sunday Night Jazz! Brenna Whitaker and her Little Big Band are an AMAZING show, and each week gets better and better.

I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Chris, and have a great day!

Brad W

Been to W Hollywood? Share your experiences!