“Posh LA” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #69 of 323 hotels in Los Angeles
San Francisco, California, United States
“Posh LA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Such a fun place to stay if you want to feel the full glam of LA. Great customer service and great on-site partying! We ended up extending our stay an extra night because we were enjoying ourselves. Great design and rooms look fabulous.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,050 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My weekend stay-cation could not have been any better. I've always loved the W hotels, but my experience at this one was compelling enough to create a Trip Advisor account just so I could write a post.

I'm pretty confused by some of the other reviews people have written. It's a W hotel in Hollywood, what were you expecting? Aside from the bar/lounge in the lobby there is a private (seperate establishment) club called Drei's in the building. If you are staying in Hollywood at a chic hotel, you best expect a Hollywood crowd. That's not to say they are bad people by any means, it is just an entertaining group. Consider going to the lobby bar a tourist attraction more than anything. I think any deviation from the great bar, crowd, and design would be a misnomer to the "W in Hollywood".

Best - the value. For the rates you get, the location is prime for any LA activity. I'm not sure that of any comparable hotels with the same location and price point as the W (I think the Standard Hollywood would be below par). It was so nice not having to drive anywhere, we could do everything we wanted to do either at the hotel or just a few blocks away.

Worst - Cost of things such as the food and valet, but that is something expected of most any high end hotel.
_____________________________________________________________________________

In more detail review notes:

Location - this is in a prime location, most of Hollywood is a less than ideal destination, but the W is central to everything you would want to go to. The Pantages, Katsuya, Palladium, Hollywood and Vine, & WeHo are all within walking distance. There is also a public train station just underneath the building, hence the bar named "The Station".

Facilities - Everything was designed to the T, even the valet area. You know it is a good place to be if they are able to rent out apartments to full-time residents.

Service - Never have I interacted with an entire team that was so pleasant. The valet girl, front desk person, bar tenders, and even the individual who delivered our room service wanted to make sure we were enjoying our stay. Normally I would expect that type of service to only be given to the high rollers, master suite guests, but even us average joes got 5 star service. After checking into our room, we were not happy with the view and wanted to see the Hollywood sign and downtown as opposed the entryway. The front desk staff were very helpful and switched our rooms right away. The associate that helped us even left us 2 drink tickets for their bar downstairs. We later started talking with an individual named Lauren, who turns out was the Marketing Manager for the hotel. I was surprised to see her relaxing at work after work. I think it speaks volumes that someone who works for a brand can also love and enjoy the brand for themself.

The Room - The beds were GREAT!!!! Later on my vacation I stayed at the St. Regis, I preferred the beds at the W hands down. It took a lot for me to get up and out of bed to go about our LA adventure just because of the comfort. Everything else was what you would expect - nice TV, clean room, etc. The multi-plug charger was a nice touch.

Nightlife - Both nights we pretty much stayed at the Station for the whole evening. The bartenders are able to speed through the lines pretty fast, and the drinks are made well. I personally had a fun time just hanging out there. For those that are looking for a different experience, Drei's is upstairs. Most people should learn that Drei's is a separate establishment, consider it a bar that is renting the top floor of the building. It's a pretty sweet spot since it is on the pool deck, looked like a set from Entourage. From what I can tell, simply staying at the Hotel does not give you preferential treatment - which I think is completely reasonable since there are other venues in the building. If downtown or West Hollywood are more your taste, they are just a short reasonable cab ride or bus ride away. We didn't get a chance to use the Acura service since it was already booked up.

The most important question though, would I stay here again? Yes!

Room Tip: -Rooms close to the top floor might get noise from the club -Rooms on the second floor are close to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello, and thank you for having your stay-cation at W Hollywood! We really appreciate you taking the time to create an account and post your review!

One of our biggest goals is to set expectations for our guests, and the high energy adult environment that comes with any W Hotel, especially one located right in the heart of Hollywood.

We appreciate your review, and look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the
Hollywood area.

Thanks,
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

If you are here for the land of pretty (and fake) faces, this is the place for you! if you are the average mainstream American, this hotel will suffice. I felt like the front desk folks were a bit snotty, although we had two lovely servers at the Station Bar on Thanksgiving night that were awesome and took excellent care of us even though we were not "there to be seen" but rather to just have nice drinks and relax with the football game on the amazing huge screen. The coffee service in the a.m. was good and the bath products were great. The room was a decent size, really comfy beds and good tv w/movie selections. I can appreciate the convenience of the top notch nightclub up top with great views and the in-room drinks if you want them; just not the purpose of this trip for us. Our first room was right over the Station Bar so the 2nd night we asked to be moved and the 2nd room was excellent and quiet. I'd not seek out this hotel but if you get it on Hotwire its fine for a couple of nights visit to LA.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

We always strive to provide a Whatever/Whenever level of service, and I apologize that you felt any of our Talent were being snotty. That is definitely not the welcoming environment that we pride ourselves on.

I am glad to see you enjoyed Station Hollywood during your stay, and that we were able to resolve your issue with your room quickly!

Although you would not seek us out, I hope you reconsider, as I know we offer the best experience in Hollywood.

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in November. I stayed at The Redbury 2 nights prior, so comparisons are unavoidable. Check in was smooth, everyone was friendly, but in an obligatory, fake and plastic fashion. I booked the W on priceline, and you get what you pay for. My room was small, 2nd floor right over the valet. So all night I got to hear the beeping of cars being locked and unlocked. The a accommodations were nice though, bed was very comfortable, bathroom was large with a rain shower head.

You probably wonder why I gave it 3 stars, well here it goes. At check in, they asked if I wanted to get 500 Starpoints in exchange for doing without housekeeping for 1 day. I declined for 2 reasons. First of all, I am not a Starpoints member so I could care less, 2nd of all, one of the reasons I love staying in a hotel is because I love having my bed made and hotel room cleaned for me.

Well the next day I left my room at approx 11am and returned at approx 5pm to a dirty room. My breakfast room service tray was still in the room, the bed was in shambles, and the room had obviously not been serviced. I assumed that 6 hours was plenty of time to take care of having the room cleaned before I returned. I called the front desk and they told me that I had waived housekeeping for that day. I explained to the front desk the situation and that I wanted my room cleaned while I was there and had not waived housekeeping. They sent a housekeeper up and she cleaned my room while I awkwardly sat and surfed the web and got ready for my night out. I must say that Blanca was very professional though, and did a great job getting my room in shape in short period of time.

Next 3 star score was for room service. Breakfast huevos rancheros was awful. Dinner rib eye was not that great given the price tag. The servers were very friendly and personable, but the quality of food was very disappointing.

I really feel the hotel has a lot to learn about 4-5 star service and accommodations. They really do not give the individualized attention I have experienced at other Hollywood 4 star hotels. When you are paying an exorbitant amount for valet, wifi, and room service fees, you expect a little more.

Room Tip: Don't book with priceline, because they will practically put you in the basement.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us in Hollywood. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the styling of your room. Although I wish it was under different circumstances I am glad Blanca was able to impress you.

I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your dining experience, we usually receive great feedback on both the In Room Dining Menu, as well as our on property restaurant, Delphine.

I invite you back on your next visit to Hollywood, and please let me know prior to your arrival and I will ensure you a fantastic stay!

Brad.wulf@whotels.com
Toowoomba, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I've always liked the W brand and the W Hollywood was a great experience. We stayed for four nights as part of a trip to the USA and stayed during our whole time in LA.

The location of the hotel to the main Hollywood strip (eg. where Kodak Theatre is) was ok - around a 10 minute walk but to be honest most the places we went to were outside of Hollywood anyway.

The hotel itself is brilliantly designed and features some great options when it comes to food and drinks. Make sure to have drinks at the bar downstairs and dinner at night on rooftop - it's a great view across the city.

Lastly, the staff were brilliant and we really enjoyed the free Acura drop off service - make sure to use it if they still have it

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for choosing to stay at W Hollywood during your travels in the USA! We are glad to have you!

I am so glad you took advantage of all of the features on property, the views from Drai’s Restaurant are amazing. We will definitely have our signature Acura Service, it is a great complimentary feature that we can offer, and one that many of guests utilize.

I hope next time you are stateside you come back and visit us again.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at the W Hollywood this past weekend with family (2 adults, 2 girls). We absolutely loved this chic hotel conveniently located to many of the sights we wanted to see. Would definitely come back.

Top 10 things we liked about the W Hollywood:
-Staff: Extremely friendly with smiles all around. Brian at the front desk was a gem - personable, warm, welcoming and efficient. The cleaning staff were lovely as well.
-Window seat in the room: Fun addition. One of our girls insisted on using the wondow seat as a bed. Great for curling up on and reading a book (or people watching).
-Aromatherapy: We all loved the Bliss infused room, redolent of a soothing but fresh spa. The best smelling room we ever stayed in. Hands down. Fun to pass the Bliss spa to and fro the elevator since we stayed on the third floor. Loved the Bliss products in the bathroom.
-Beds: We found them very comfortable. The low beds were easier to sleep on frankly, and were almost Asian-styled in this way.
-Pool: Fun rooftop pool. Could be a little more heated for the cooler days.
-Coffee in the morning: Fresh and free in the lobby.
-Sweat gym: Spacious with usual stuff (treadmills, dumbells) but also with a large stretch room and a punching bag to get out your Hollywood aggressions.
-Location: Metro stop in same area, and easy access to highways for motoring around. Good restaurants within easy walking distance as well as kid friendly eateries as well. Book of Mormon production right across the street.
-Acura care service: Free and convenient for a 5 mile radius.
-Trader Joe's: In the same block. Good for getting last minute munchies and fruit.

3 things to improve on:
-Internet $$: Free access in the lobby, but would love if you didn't charge for room access.
-Valet $$: Convenient and friendly but $30 per night is a bit $teep, even by San Francisco standards.
-Key cards: Elevators need to be a bit more responsive to key cards for access to rooms. Minor point.

Room Tip: With a window seat.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having stayed at W Hotels in Barcelona, London, San Diego & now here in Hollywood, i knew what to expect and type of service.
Stayed here one night for the Madonna concert at Staple Center. Location on Hollywood Blvd isn't the most desired. We did have a few drinks and early diner at the hotel. Hotel was clean, service was great. We did valet service at $30 a pop. Kinda steep for as I wasn't in San Francisco, but Hollywood.
Everything is pretty pricey, but its the W Hotel so I knew going in what prices were going to be. No big complaints.
If you haven't been, try it, I payed $199 the night, which was a great deal for the...W.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for your continued loyalty to W Hotels! We love having repeat guests, and I am glad to see you enjoyed your time with us in Hollywood.

Our WHEELS valet offers a convenient and safe parking option, and is very competitive with other properties in the Hollywood area.

I hope to welcome you back again soon,

Brad W

Been to W Hollywood? Share your experiences!