“They made us feel like celebrities!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #71 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Brighton, United Kingdom
“They made us feel like celebrities!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here for our honeymoon and it was every bit as glamorous as I'd hoped! The place is gorgeous, the rooms are awesome with loads of extra touches that are just uber cool (plus we got upgraded to a Fabulous Room which was even better!!). We only spent 3 nights there before jetting off to the next spot but I loved every minute. An extra special thank you to Vince the concierge, he was amazing! He arranged for a bottle of champagne to be waiting in our room and he helped us SO much with restaurant reservations, getting around, and where to get my shopping fix!! It's in a great location (right next to a metro station where you can get the tube anywhere, an unlimited day ticket is $5 I think and this includes to Universal Studios, oh and get the bus to The Grove no.217) I loved shopping, people watching and seeing the sights of LA - if you can't have a bit of fun and take things with a pinch of salt then don't bother coming here...cos this hotel is a big smile in the heart of Hollywood :o)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of downtown LA :o)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Hello, and congratulations on the wedding! Thank you so much for making W Hollywood a part of your celebration.

I am glad Vince was able to make a positive impression on you, I will be sure to pass along the compliment. Our location in Hollywood is definitely a vibrant, high energy environment, and it sounds like it was a perfect fit for the start of your honeymoon.

Congratulations again, and I hope the rest of your trip was just as fantastic.

Brad W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

From the moment we drove up under the expansive canopy of twinkling LED lights, it was obvious that this is NOT a hotel intended for "normal" people. We left our Honda with the valet, amongst the Bentleys and Maseratis, and headed for the lobby. It was Sunday night around 11pm, and we had to get past a hoard of security/doormen and a velvet rope just to get into the lobby, where a live band was playing and Hollywood's hipsters were partying. Past the front desk was the Hollywood Blvd entrance, and the elevator for the rooftop pool and Drai's nightclub. (You should receive an email from the hotel prior to arrival expalining the pool policies, restrictions, and the fact that as a guest, you are not guaranteed access to the pool.) The line of wannabe's spilled out onto the walk of fame. Skin-tight mini dresses, glitz, and $300 haircuts were de rigueur. If all of this (which the hotel describes as a "high-energy, adult atmosphere") sounds appealing, then you'll love the W Hollywood. I enjoy going out to clubs and concerts as much as anyone, so it just depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. Just be aware that this is not a "family-friendly" spot.

If you have checked the prices, you already know this hotel is expensive. Valet parking (there is no self-park option) is $38.50/day. A can of soda or a mini-can of Pringles from the mini-bar are $5 each (no vending machines, of course). The shower has a full-length window into your room (partially frosted from shoulder height to knees) that will allow your travelling companions to observe your bathing regime.

I loved the decor, the lobby is stunning, and the room amenities such as iPod dock, multi-brand charging station, and sound machine with white noise, ocean waves, etc were all very cool. The beds are super comfortable. The location across the street from the Pantages theater and on top of the Hollywood & Vine Metro station are decent, although there is a lot more to do at the Hollywood & Highland complex a few blocks away, which is where I would recommend staying - check out the Renaissance Hollywood, available for similar prices, but without the pretentiousness and with a lot more shopping/restaurants/attractions right on your doorstep.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post this review of your recent stay at W Hollywood. You are correct, while W Hollywood caters to a variety of guests; we are geared towards adults looking to experience the Hollywood lifestyle. Sunday nights are Jazz Nights, and we have a live jazz band that plays and draws a large crowd of both hotel guests and Hollywood locals.

It is always our intention that each of our guests feels welcomed and comfortable, and our programming is designed to appeal to a wide variety of guests. I am glad you enjoyed the design of the property, and the in room amenities.

I hope next time you are in the Los Angeles area and looking to have an amazing Hollywood experience you think of us.

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The W Hollywood is a great place to stay in LA—if you're a twenty-something wannabe reality TV star with thighs the size of the average woman's wrists and Daddy's black AmEx. For everyone else though, you might want to think twice about staying here. It's essentially a nightclub with rooms which, were guests actually allowed into the nightclub, would be great, but you're not. Even with a room key, you and your party will be kept decidedly on the wrong side of the velvet rope.

Physically, the hotel is beautiful (as are all Ws, in my experience). The lobby is stunning, the pool is attractive and our room was fun (it reminded me of something out of an Austin Powers movie) as well as comfortable. The staff were generally friendly and helpful and contrary to some other reviews here, we heard no noise whatsoever in our room even though we were on the 10th floor and so, not far from the nightclub. It's also in a great location, (literally) on top of a metro stop (Hollywood/Vine) and about ten minutes (slow) walk along Hollywood Bvld to the Dolby Theatre, etc.

But the whole time I was there—we stayed 5 nights—I felt like the uncool little sister tagging along to the cool kids party and I think the hotel played a part in making me feel like that. This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that I was paying for the privilege.

The lobby (or the Living Room in W-speak) was constantly filled with a variety of posers, wannabes, etc., especially in the evening, but of course the hotel can't really control that and it is supposed to be a profitable business after all. But approaching the doors in the evening, we had to show the doormen our key before we'd be let in—and then do it again to get to the elevators. We stayed there over a weekend, and met many a drunken waif stumbling along the halls. I just didn't feel comfortable there. Honestly, I felt like I was intruding on someone else's good time, and shouldn't be there. When you stay in a hotel, all areas should feel like yours to avail of. I certainly didn't feel like that here.

But the real issue with the W Hollywood is the nightclub/pool situation. The pool IS the nightclub, or part of it, which is not owned by the W but is a location of Drai's, who are also in Vegas. To access the rooftop pool (level 12, I believe) you have to go all the way down to the ground level to get in. There are signs in the elevators saying this is for "occupancy control" but really, it's for admission control. There is a special line for hotel guests, but no preferential treatment. On Saturday evening we approached the concierge about the possibility of getting into Drai's that evening, and he was (very nicely) straight with us: unless we forked out $550 for bottle service—with a rule of one bottle between every 2 people—we didn't have a hope. (Which made me wonder, who IS going to be in the club?!?!) We went to the lobby bar instead but one of my friends, undeterred, decided to try to get in anyway. She spent 55 minutes talking with various members of staff before being finally allowed in for the last 30 minutes of the club evening, at a cost of $20. She reported that although the view of the pool was nice, the club wasn't even all that special.

Clubs in W hotels are not unusual. All Ws have a trendy nightclub atmosphere to some extent. The W Times Square is a good example, but I've stayed there twice and have never felt like anything but a valued and welcomed guest. The problem with the W Hollywood is that their priorities are all wrong, because their priority is the club/nightlife. This is far from a cheap hotel and when you're paying a lot of money, you want to feel like the hotel appreciates that. Here, I felt like the hotel "belonged" to the people in the club and the lobby—who probably weren't even guests—and that I was intruding.

I gave it 3/5 stars because you really can't fault the decor, the cleanliness or the location. But if I were the management—and especially if I were Starwood—I would think twice about how this hotel is run and sold. As a former front desk agent myself who had to deal with guests complaining about one of our three swimming pools being occasionally closed for private functions, I can't imagine the grief the W's front desk gets about the pool, nightclub, noise, etc. Really, they should detach the club from the property altogether, and stop advertising the fact that they have a pool. Alternatively, guests should be given unlimited access. I just can't imagine why they're not. I think the management forget that although LA residents may expect not to get into places without waiting in line and then, being at the mercy of a bouncer, people from outside of LA—and especially people from outside the US—will see it for what it is: an utter farce.

If you know what you're getting into and you get a good deal, I'd stay at the W. But if you're a non-celebrity civilian, I'd stay away. Also, I'd NEVER stay here with kids or extended families. It's highly unsuitable.

In summary, the W is kind of like Los Angeles itself: a magical playground if you're somebody, but depressing and uncomfortable if you're not. But then it's free to walk around LA; it's a small fortune to stay at the W. Why pay to feel like a nobody? I'd happily stay at other Ws because I love the décor, the beds and the Bliss products in the bathroom, but in future I'll be giving this particular one a miss.

A tip for parking: avoid the $40 a day W parking. There is a large parking lot on the same street about 15 seconds walk from the door that does overnight for $20. Just make sure to buy your ticket earlier in the day as we came back one night after 11pm and there was no attendant. We didn't want to chance parking without a ticket so we had to find somewhere else.

Room Tip: For noise, I'd try to stay on one of the middle floors, they being equidistant from both the noi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay at W Hollywood. I apologize that you did not feel welcomed or comfortable during your stay.

We do have a wide variety of guests that stay with us, and we want each of them to feel appreciated and welcomed. We do have guaranteed guest seating at WET, but it is based on availability. On busier pool party days, there are potential issues with capacity. We are a very unique property, and we do offer a very high energy and adult experience.

I am sorry to read that you would not stay with us again. However, I hope that next time you are in the Hollywood area you consider staying with us. I know we can provide the level of service that you expect!

San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Would recommend against staying here unless you want a room to crash after partying or in which to change from daytime pool party (think Vegas meets MTV the Hills) to nighttime clubbing. The only common or outdoor space that exists is the roof-top pool deck, which is physically beautiful, but squatted in by a permanent drunken circus of preening 20 year olds and a rope line at the elevator bay vigorously discourages hotel guests from even going up. And is outwardly hostile to paying guests. What's left? A patio abutting Hollywood blvd (loud thoroughfare) perched atop escalators into the subway -- and the ice in my drink served there stank like day-old fish.

This is not a hotel focused on guests - its a giant nightclub. If that's what you want, the W is doing a good job which accounts for the positive reviews. If you are also looking for a place to stay that offers more than a room and rude bouncers at every turn, I'd look elsewhere -- many nicer and less-expensive options. Sad disappointment for the W chain.

Room Tip: many rooms face walls. don;t expect a view of the hollywood sign!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

While W Hollywood does have a very high energy, adult nightlife, our guests are our number one priority. Although there is the rooftop WET and Drais, we also have our Living Room with both indoor and outdoor seating, Delphine restaurant, and Station Hollywood all located on the main floor.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the ice, that is not typical of our property at all. I am sad to hear that you were disappointed, as I know our service is top notch. I hope that you consider letting us show you how amazing W Hollywood can be next time you are in the Los Angeles area.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Hotel itself is beautiful very modern, very clean. Rooms are spacious and very nicely decorated
Staff are very friendly
Valet parking is $35 but only $20 directly opposite in the public car park
Location was good you need a car in LA wherever you stay

Problem with this hotel is its too noisy, we were on tenth floor which staff said was quiet. We were kept awake until the early hours by the noise from the club
Other guests were banging around, screaming and running around on way back from the club

The sound machine supplied was a nice touch and we used this each night

Hotel seems to focus more on its image as a celeb hotspot nightclub instead of its hotel customers

Not recommended for families or Couples

• Stayed June 2012
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights for a visit to my alma mater USC!

Good
- Typical W cool and hip that gives you the Wow factor everywhere you go, including the neon lights, "good morning/evening" carpets at elevator, the decor of the room, the hip decor at the lobby and the cool young crowd that it attracts (either hotel guests or restaurant guests)
- I stayed at a Spectacular room and it gives a good view of the mountains and the outskirts of Hollywood
- The free Acura service that drives you within a certain radius (though I did not use this as the places I needed to go are beyond its free radius)
- Doorman that takes your baggage up to your room from the taxi (I have been to too many so-called 5-star hotels in US that does not offer this service, which I believe is an absolute must)
- Free dessert coupon to its restaurant called Delphine
- Comfortable bed (they even offered 2 Queens), great showers, Bliss toiletries are I love to take away, modern room decor
- Good size gyms
- The pool! Wow - it is a rooftop pool with great views of the mountains, amazing cabanas and a very Hollywood pool-party decor

However, despite the above, there are many things that I find disappointing
- The pool - even though it's beautiful has too few sun loungers, and limited sunlight during afternoons as it is blocked by the Residences, water not heated, and no attendants in sight to offer you water, or clean up the area
- No food and beverage service at the pool (you have to call Room Service through the Emergency phones) even though there is a bar right next to it
- I believe the views from half the building faces an interior courtyard or building views
- Service is generally average, not particularly warm and none of the "wow" factor
- No person in sight to clean up the gym, so there are trash lying around
- Not exactly in the center of Hollywood such as where Renaissance or Roosevelt, is, but a good 10 minutes walk from it

Overall, I would cautiously recommend this hotel

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, and thanks for choosing to stay at W Hollywood during your recent visit to Hollywood. I am glad to hear that parts of your stay were amazing, and thankful for the opportunity to receive feedback on areas that did not meet your expectations.

I am glad you enjoyed the property, and your Spectacular Room. I am sorry you felt that our Talent did not display the WOW factor during your visit. We try very hard to impress every single one of our guests, and we seemed to have missed the mark.

I am sorry also for what seems like a lack of attentive service, we usually have numerous Talent members catering to the needs of our guests, and SWEAT is usually in fantastic condition. I will be sure to pass your feedback along. I enjoy our location at Hollywood and Vine, right on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and across from Pantages Theatre.

I hope that you think of us next time you are in the Hollywood area, I know we can change your cautious recommendation into a heartfelt one!

Thanks again,
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel is literally right across the street from The Patages Theater!
Very trendy part of town, plenty of restaurants in the area.
But the theater is the reason the stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to W Hollywood? Share your experiences!