“Fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Dallas, Texas
“Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Great people watching. Perfect location. Loved the pool.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne,Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The W Hollywood was my first "W" experience.

Our first room had a nasty odour, when mentioned to Reception, we were moved to another room immediately. The rooms are well designed and very comfortable.

I loved the lobby bar and outdoor terace. The pool deck was also good, but very crowded.

The complimentary Acura transfer was a great benefit and our driver was very obliging and knowledgeable.

The only disappointment was the 'whatever' desk was not very helpful when approached. The response to every question about transport was, "hire a limo"! I found out after I returned home that one of my options would have been to catch a train from the subway directly under the Hotel. I should have researched it before I left, but ..... I asked a local instead!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I just got back from W Hollywood and I was quite disappointed in the quality of services I received from a W hotel. I have stayed in several W properties before: more established ones like San Diego, Seattle, and LA-Westwood and newer ones like Scottsdale, Hong Kong, and Taipei. The property itself is nice, however, the quality of service is really sub-par. My friend dropped my fiancee and I off at the front door, the bell man didn't even bother to open the door nor acknowledge our presence until I told him that we are checking in (maybe it's my friend's "fault" for driving a non-flashy, inexpensive car...) so I was immediately alarmed, I have always been greeted by enthusiastic W staffers wherever I have stayed. At check-in we were able to get a room and I failed to realize that the lady that helped us got the wrong reservation as I had paid more for my reservation, unknowingly, we went to the assigned room and were relaxing in bed until our door all of a sudden opened. There was a couple that had keys to our room! It was a shock for all of us! I don't even want to imagine how much worse it could have been?

It was not until 20 minutes later I got a call from the Welcome Desk to apologize about the confusion! This kind of mistake should not even happen if I had handed the staff my drivers license and the credit card I I made the reservation with. The staff apologized and I let it go and let him know that it was ok.

My fiancee and I went to the LA Opera with the car service arranged by the concierge who really was friendly and helpful so that was a plus. The next morning, I went downstairs and went outside trying to get some Starbucks and pastries for breakfast. I generally would greet and acknowledge people as I see them. Again, the bell men and valet were standing less than two feet from me and when I said "Good morning, Gentlemen!", they just stared and me and kept on talking to each other. WOW....... I thought in my head... this is really something else. What is wrong with these people these days? Is it because it's Hollywood? The property itself is not inexpensive and I am a world-traveler, these bell men and/or valet were the worst I have ever, EVER seen in a 4-star hotel. Hip and modern is W. That's why I love to stay at W hotels. However, this is a hospitality industry... you are trying to make guests feel welcomed and comfortable. It was rather disappointing!

So there is a lot room for improvement at W Hollywood, I hope they can make it better. Nothing extremely positive really stood out this time but the extreme negative was there. I would probably stay away from that property until that bad taste is gone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

The W Hollywood is located in the heart of the California action. The atmosphere, staff, and overall amenities were amazing. I love beautiful hotels especially when you are treated as if you are a regular at the establishment. The front desk agent was very funny and polite. We were able to walk over to the night club and get right in for an amazing party for Ducati. I would definitely stay here again whenever I am in LA.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

W hotels are meant for young travelers looking for a trendy scene and hotels furnished with modern/hip amenities. This hotel had that covered. The location is great if you want to be in Hollywood and if you're staying here I strongly recommend going to Katsuya nearby for dinner.

The gym on the 11th floor was well equipped and spotless. The rooms were great and beds were fantastic! You know how sometimes you sleep in a hotel bed and wonder 'Wow - this bed is REALLY comfy!'...yep, you get that SAME FEELING here!

The only complaint I have is that the front desk is sometimes undermanned and for simple things like getting another key you could be waiting in line for longer than you like.

Room Tip: RESERVATION TIP*- Try booking this hotel through Kayak.Com. When I wanted to extend my trip a day t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I stayed at this W Hotel for work this week. Because it was Los Angeles, I had to have a car. To get to the office early I had the valet's bring my car to me around 5:30 am. The valet's took my hotel card out of the car as if I were checking out so that when I returned they gave me a new card... and started charging me two parking fees per night. When I checked out this morning and was telling the woman at the counter about the people in my hall talking loudly she folded my bill away into an envelope without allowing me to see it first. SO it was not until I got home I discovered the double parking charge.

The place is nice, the room was pretty but smelled liked dirty socks. The people in the hallway in the middle of the night happened more than once. It was close to things to walk to, but I might find another place to stay when

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Madisonville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Just got back from a 3 day business meeting at the W Hollywood. If you are doing the touristy-Hollywood thing, the location of this property could not be better at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, directly above a Metro stop.

The hotel is clean and well-run and I can easily recommend it. I had a single king (Room 842) and it was spacious and well-designed. The bathroom was very clean with quality fixtures.

It also caters to the "hip" crowd and there were lots of folks in their 20-30s there for the party atmosphere. The whole lobby is a giant bar/club until 2 am. Not my cup of tea (anymore) but that did not detract from my experiences of the property.

MadisonvilleGary

Room Tip: Get a room at the end of the hall. Mine was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to W Hollywood? Share your experiences!