“good but GREASY!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Umami Burger

Umami Burger
1520 North Cahuenga Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Hollywood)
323.469.3100
Neighborhood: Hollywood
Brisbane, Australia
“good but GREASY!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The burgers are moderately priced with vegetarian options too (not for me). I got the manly burger and year it was good but dripping with grease. Felt a little uneasy after it. Very salty, greasy and meaty. If the burger came with salad then it would have been 4 stars.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Los Angeles
“Incredible Burgers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Have you ever felt like you cheated on a restaurant? For years, I've sung the praises of In-n-Out -- the fresh taste, the buttery buns, the crisp lettuce, tasty fries and the delicious burgers. I've taken folks from out of town to eat, what I've always felt to be the quintessential Southern California taste delight.

So imagine my surprise when I tasted my first Truffle Burger at Umami Burger. My taste buds exploded, my head spun, my heart stopped...okay, so I'm exaggerating just a little. The burger was juicy, the truffle taste so extraordinary, that I was overwhelmed by the experience...wait, exaggerating again.

So, the decor is value modern -- butcher paper table clothes, thin plastic cups, buns stamped with the Umami logo -- but at the same time, you can order using a tablet at every table. Kind of cool, but would appreciate video or something more than a picture of the food.

We had tempura onion rings -- big ol' huge suckers with a light panko breading. They came with umami ketchup. They were good, but kind of big. As I described above, my truffle burger was unbelievable -- order one if you like truffles. My friend ate the signature Umami Burger, which was good, but not nearly as good as mine.

The service was good -- they seemed a little understaffed. the desserts (we ate the ice cream sandwich) were underwhelming, certainly not as good as the burger.

So, as much as I love In-n-Out, there is a new king in town (emperor, perhaps) -- Umami Burger is the best!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“bad restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My family (M +3) went to eat yesterday at the Grove.
The waiter pushed to us to do our food reservation.
The hamburgers were brought to table without ketchop or anything else.
altough we asked for vegt. and spec. tomatos our sone received his hamburger without it. then we asked and they gave him a single slice of tomato.
the price is high 11-15 for a hamburger without french fr or a soda drink.
defent. do not recommend to go there.
ram

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Tasty burgers and inventive flavours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We went here after reading about it in our travel book.

I had the tuna burger which was very unusual. It was almost raw which I liked and the wasbai paste set off the flavours. My boyfriend had the manly burger and enjoyed the ale taste. We sat outside and the LA sunshine was great accompaniment to our meal.

The only thing that was slightly off was that they brought the wrong order for my boyfriend which meant that our food came at different times.

Otherwise, it was great and seemed good value for LA.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oakland, California
“Good Burger but Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stop by Umami for lunch. Had the umami & manly burger with thin and sweet potato fries, and Mexican cokes. The burgers are good not great. Their homemade ketchup is very good . It can get loud & crowded at times. Good burger but overpriced

• Visited November 2012