“Love this place!” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Maria's Italian Kitchen - Downtown
615 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Central L.A)
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Maria's Italian Kitchen - Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,933 of 8,659 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: 6th and Flower
Transit: Red line - one block away. Exit 7th St./Metro Center Station.
Los Angeles, California
“Love this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My friends & I come here at least twice a month for lunch. The food is oh so good, the portions are substantial, and even though it's a bit pricey, I feel like it's worth it for what you get. The service is superb and they have the BEST clam chowder!

Visited September 2012

“Great Italian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We ate here twice during a week business trip to LA. Both times were very enjoyable, the service was excellent as was the food. We had the lasgna, pizza and alfredo which were all very good but for me the star of the menu was the penne with sausage and peppers.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fresno, Ca
“Food was good, waiter was great!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you eat here, ask for Matt. He's really good looking, and very accomodating. He should teach classes on proper waiter/waitress techniques. Best service I've had in a long time.

Visited June 2012
Adelaide, Australia
“a cosy place for dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We had just returned to LA after a week's tour and needed to find a restaurant close to the LA Sheraton Downtown mid evening. We found Maria's Italian by chance, and although they were getting close to finishing up for the evening they agreed to accommodate our group of 12. The service was friendly and timely. As one would hope, the food was tasty and authentically Italian. It was also good value for money.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newport Beach CA
“Actually served me a pizza with raw dough!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

On March 8th, I needed a place for dinner within walking distance from Westin Bonaventure for 9 out of town guests. Read Tripadvisor about this place, which had only 2 reviews, both favorable. Read Yelp which gave it some reviews not so good. Went with the Tripadvisor recommendations as had done OK with them in the past.
I'd called ahead and made reservations because of the size of our party. Probably needn't have as restaurant was almost empty when we arrived and pretty much stayed that way while we were there. It's not fancy - no tablecloths or ties on the wait staff, we had 'Samuel' or on manager. Interesting menu but so many dishes with exotic overtones made me think 'jack of all trades but master of none'. Decided to order safe - the menu boldly and proudly declared "Best Pizza in Town" - and how could an Italian restaruant screw up pizza? So I ordered a pizza.
With the drinks we ordered, foccia bread was served in baskets - but the bottom part of the bread was burned - in every basket. What kind of place goes ahead and serves burned bread?
Dinner came. I cut into my pizza to extract a slice and the center of the dough was still soft, stretchy and uncooked. There's a difference between uncooked dough and cooked dough that has soaked up juices from the toppings. I could have still kneaded this dough.
I waited for Samuel, the waiter, to come by and ask how everything was - never came by. Finally I had to go find the waiter to tell him to come to our table where I showed him the raw dough, and sent the pizza back. By this time my guests were half way thru their dinners and the offer of a different entree would mean they'd be done and I'd still be eating. Awkward thing for the host to do.
After a while the manager came over to ask what he could do - 'what could he do?' when his place couldn't even cook a pizza? Get a new cook I guess.
Then the little oil lamps on our tables began to go out and smoke - never attended to. In fact, neither the waiter nor the manager bothered to ask my guests about their food.
At the end, the manager sent over a small tray of desserts 'on the house' and took the charge for the pizza off the bill, listing the reason for return "undercooked". If they have a space on the bill for reasons for returns - I'm obviously not the first unhappy customer they've had. And if this review keeps you from going there, then you won't be numbered amoung their unhappy customers.

• Visited March 2012