“Great location. But you may need more than that.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Figueroa

You added Hotel Figueroa to your Saves list
Hotel Figueroa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   939 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90015 (Downtown)   |
Special Price
Exclusive 20% Off
Ranked #125 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Bainbridge Island, WA, US
“Great location. But you may need more than that.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Definitely hard to review the Figueroa Hotel. I think many reviews are a bit harsh, but I didn’t click with the excellent reviews either. I landed on “average” because the hotel was just missing that je ne sais quoi. There were certainly pros, but all in all we’ve stayed in so many nicer places, even considering the price. (We were there because our aunt loves the old LA vibe and has stayed at the Fig a few times over the years.)

PRO: very clean rooms; pool area was lovely and tropical (although too cold to hang out there for long during our early December trip...I imagine on warm days it would be packed); the Moroccan theme is trendy and the place is low-key and unpretentious (which is really nice for LA). Staff were pleasant, the a la carte buffet breakfast was a great way to go – just pay for what you want to eat. The water pressure in the shower was amazing. The hotel location is good, especially for the Convention Center/Staples, but it’s also walkable to the rest of downtown (even Disney Concert Hall, MOCA, etc, which we walked to). There were usually cabs standing by in front of the hotel if needed though.

CON: as others have said, think “European tourist-class”, and avoid comparisons with chains like Hilton and Marriott. The Figueroa is an old property and at first glance it has an interesting décor and looks cool, but in reality it shows the age and all the bold/dark paint on everything was unattractive and overwhelming. The place just didn’t feel comfy/cozy...concrete floors, thinnish towels, single-pane windows that let cold and noise in. It’s short on amenities that (if the Fig had them), would really elevate the experience in my opinion: coffee in the room, fluffier towels, more rugs (by the beds), and lighter colors. Also the breakfast had no fruit or yogurt on offer.

It’s all so subjective! We had no problems at the Figueroa and it didn’t make or break our time in LA. This just wasn’t my idea of a distinctive stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Palmerston North
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed at Figueroa Hotel for four nights in mid December and had a great experience. To be honest we were a little worried when after emailing to say we'd like to make use of the car park we got the response 'sounds good. Note that when you book on line you get the very smallest room since you pay the least.' Weird thing to say to guests, but hey, I guess at least they're honest.

However, we needn't have worried as the room was plenty big enough and beautifully decorated in the hotel's Middle Eastern style. The lobby is just beautiful and a great spot to enjoy a complementary coffee and pastry in the morning.

The room was a little noisy, but what else would you expect in downtown LA? Surprisingly the hotel doesn't provide free wifi, however, the AT&T hotspot is available for $5 per day. The staff at the front desk were really helpful in recommending local places to eat and visit and made our stay a very pleasant one.

A great hotel to which I'd happily return.

Room Tip: Asking for a non-Figueroa Street side room would likely cut down on the noise a bit if you're th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I love this hotel! I dreamt to stay here and to make it even more magical I was upgraded by Uno the charming owner. It's unique and wonderfully and tastefully decorated. Transformed from a former YMCA, it shows little or no signs of age, but beauty in the authentic handpicked Moroccan decor from a life of travel. Uno, the owner is very attentive, as were all of the staff that I had the pleasure to interact with. I held out too long in writing my review and am just about to book my revisit for a business trip next week. During this year I send my colleagues there as it is so conveniently located to the Staples center and convention area. Restaurants across the street and a huge Ralphs supermarket within a few mins walk. I felt very safe there and in the neighborhood. There is a wonderful pool that transforms day into evening lounge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Queens,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We definitely enjoyed staying at the Figueroa Hotel! Its located in the Downtown LA area, walking distance to many restaurants in LA Live and shopping area. The staff were friendly and professional. The hotel lobby is very welcoming with statues, dim lights and comfortable sitting areas with decorative furniture. The pool and patio areas were beautiful and relaxing. The room with twin beds was clean, brightly painted but very small. We would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Twin Room is very small.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Alta Loma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed again at the unique Downtown LA Figueroa Hotel. We enjoyed our stay last April so much, we have been trying to think of an excuse to come back. We found one when we saw the Moody Blues were playing at the Nokia Theatre. We recommended the concert and hotel to 3 couples. They thoroughly enjoyed their stay. They also loved the hotel's décor and character. The friendly hospitality and laid-back feeling of the place were appreciated. Bertuno, the owner and manager, was extremely accommodating. The central downtown location cannot not be beat. Our group is already planning a return stay, perhaps to see a Kings game. See you in a few months Bertuno!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Lancaster, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I have season tickets to the Music Center and we stay in downtown LA 4 to 5 times a year. We usually stay at the Hilton Checkers when in town. We decided to stay at the Figueroa Hotel for something different. It’s located very near the Staples Center and 3 blocks from the 7th St Metro Center. We walked from the subway to the hotel and when we walked through the unassuming doorway we felt that that we had walked into the Marigold Hotel after renovation because of its ‘other world ‘ charm. The two young women at the desk were gracious and welcoming in their greeting. I did not feel as if I was in one of the antiseptic chains. The sounds of downtown LA disappeared upon entering. Later that night after going to the theater and dinner we returned to the hotel. It had come “alive”. The bar was booming and the poolside tables were delightful. The bartender makes great Mai Tais. It was an evening that you can only find in LA but most importantly, the beds are good, the shower was great and the rooms are quaint and quiet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Annandale, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I just returned from a trip to attend a conference at the LA Convention Center, and decided to eschew the convention hotels (Ritz, Marriott, Luxe) and stay at the Figueroa. I was glad I did. This is a neat and funky place, with an abundance of character. My room was large, comfortable, and quiet (even though it was on the first floor). It is convenient to the Convention Center, Staples Center and LA Live, and much less expensive than neighboring hotels. My only disappointment is that the owner/manager never responded to my email request for a higher level room, and when I checked in they said no such rooms were available. But, as I mentioned, my first floor room turned out to be fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Figueroa? Share your experiences!