“Rude, unhelpful, bad mannered front desk!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Figueroa

You added Hotel Figueroa to your Saves list
Hotel Figueroa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   939 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90015 (Downtown)   |
Special Price
Exclusive 20% Off
Ranked #125 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Rude, unhelpful, bad mannered front desk!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Don't stay here! Simple! Its cheap but that's it! No kettle..iron.. Hairdryer.. No air con.. Noise was obscene even from 10 floors up.. Got the impression being a gay couple was a big problem! Hated every minute couldn't wait to leave!! Don't be fooled by the pictures either the opulence ends at reception!

• Stayed June 2013
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Wow.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I really liked this hotel. I was staying with a friend and we are both in our mid 20's. We loved that this was like a destination or attraction in itself. I love that there was so much care and thought put into each and every corner - it feels like you have stepped into a different land. With that in mind, it is not a cookie-cutter hotel like you would find in a chain hotel. But it has a lot more character than what those chains have to offer. It really is intended for a more bohemian, exotic experience.

It was really nice that they have a parking lot behind the hotel, as parking would be difficult to find otherwise. We had no problem finding a spot. I loved that the theme of the hotel carried all the way from the parking lot through the corridor to the lobby. Everywhere you look there is some detail that makes you feel like you have entered an entirely different place. The light fixtures throughout the hotel were probably my favorite part.

The hosts at the checkin were very kind and helpful. The elevators were beautifully painted and the real key (not a card) added to the charm of the place. The dim lighting in the hallway made me a bit nervous at first, but I eventually realized that it went along with the ambiance. We loved the room. The pillows were great and the beds were soft and clean. The bright colors of the room are not your normal hotel colors - they are warm and fun and full of personality. We were a number of floors up so we didn't hear a bit of noise from the street, nor did we hear any sounds from any neighbors. I'm a very light sleeper, but I had no problem sleeping through the night with the air conditioning on. The room feels a bit tight if you have a lot of big luggage, but there is a large closet in each room to help get things out of the way. Everything was very clean and enjoyable.

The pool and lounge area was gorgeous. I fully understand why I've read that some people in the city consider it an oasis. The hotel is also located in a central spot for the downtown area. We walked right across the street to have dinner without any problem.

I think this hotel is best suited for those who are looking for an experience, not just a place to race in and out of. It's a hotel meant for you to slow down and soak in the unique details around you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you very very very much. So kind of you to take time out to write. I wish we had met and I would have showed you around. Looking at your pictures you were not even in one of our better rooms.
In my young days I was affiliated with big hotels..somehow they were all the same..meeting rooms had to be used for dinners and weddings,,a fortune had to be spent on decorations,,here at the Fig we have no meeting riooms,,all rooms are meant for events,,no money needed for decor..actually we don't allow it,,accept us as we are or go to the Luxe across the street which has become a great hotel from what I read..personally I have never seen it.
Fiddling around,,sometimes it works sometimes it does not...look under special venues..
Thank you once again.
Kingston, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I love this hotel....Yes it's a revamped YMCA,but creatively appointed and clean rooms,great snack bar and awesome bar/pool area make this a sleeper hit in LA...Mr Uno is a gracious and caring host..Highly recommend.

Room Tip: The Pantry restaurant ...an LA landmark down the street!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you very much. I wish people would look at our Website and read cooments on Trip Advisor before they book. At every turn, including when Elyse and I take reservations, we state exactly what we are.Selfeffacing and modest at every turn. No hype.It would be nice to have central a/c but it would cost a fortune. The good part with individual units is that if something goes wrong only one room is affected and it takes us 10 minutes to replace. Furthermore our windows open, It is wonderful to feel the breeze from the ocean. For the record we will never have alarm clocks or coffee makers. Each room however has a refrigerator at no cost
The cement floors and cowhides are here to stay.Always loved cows.
Occupancy high..life is great.
Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

No alarm clock in room, no iron, no coffee pot, concrete floor with a animal hide for a rug. Single pane glass in windows, sounded like birds were chirping in the room. Painted very dark colors limited lighting. Was there for a convention. Wonderful location to Los Angeles Convention Center, could be very quaint but definitely needs updated and a good cleaning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
All correct. Except our rooms are very very clean. Then again why endure a stay. If you don't like our hotel come on down and check out. There would be no charge.
We are what we are and won't change.
Nuuk, Greenland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Beautiful interior, close to Nokia Theater etc.
Old hotel, but they made it charming and the bar by the pool is very charming. Very serene when I was there. Perfect for a romantic evening (wich I had)!
Biggest letdown is the 5$/24 hours of internet. It works fine once ur on, but if you need 3 devices on, the bill ads up. This should be free.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you. Nice comments. I actually thought the $5 fee for WIFI is considered cheap. You hook up directly with ATT. Very fast and all ovder the hiotel.
Craiova
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here with my family for vacation and have a lot to say about this wonderful property.It is excellent in all terms rooms, cleanliness, staff and location. Décor of the building looked modern and new. Amenities are abundant and the welcoming nature of the staff which continued throughout our stay was great. Food was delicious and I loved it. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you. I believe you were here from Romania. Hope you met Traian, our night auditor. He is a native Romanian and we are fortunate to have him.
Thank you very much for your kind words.
Hope to see you again.
Pelham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I don't even know where to start for this fabulous hotel! It is surely not your regular "cookie cutter" hotel...it is fun and funky! The pool area was great, as was the bar~ When walking into hotel, it is like being transported to another country! The beds where soooo comfortable as was the entire room...wall unit A/C and all~
I just LOVED this hotel! We did get to meet the owner, and he was wonderful too! I work for a hotel and I think this little "Gem" has its own little quirky things that puts it apart from all the others!
I highly suggest you stay here, just as it is so cute and different! And it is the cleanest hotel I have ever seen~ Thanks Hotel Figueroa for a great stay and the most restful stay that I have had in a long time at a hotel! Keep up the good work~ :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you very very much People are so nice to me as of late. I don't look that great anymore..wonder if our guests think that I plan to hang up my gloves in the near future...not the case..need a place to go...I think we are at our best when the sun is shining ..our pool and garden with all the cacti, succulents and bouganvilla all growing wild is really spectacular.,,by the way that lady who complained about the width of the parking spaces might have been driving a Hummer...no wonder it was a bummer.
Thank you again and please return. Say hello to Saban..

Been to Hotel Figueroa? Share your experiences!