“Quirky is the best description” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Figueroa

You added Hotel Figueroa to your Saves list
Hotel Figueroa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   939 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90015 (Downtown)   |
Special Price
Exclusive 20% Off
Ranked #124 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Lake Bluff, Illinois
“Quirky is the best description”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Hotel: Lots of personality! Do not stay here if you're expecting a room like the JW Marriott. The rooms are spacious and clean and my room had a mini fridge and a hair dryer. There wasn't an ironing board in the room, but if you need one, they will provide. Because it's an old building, there isn't a lot of electrical plugs, but they will loan you a power strip. I found the staff to be incredibly accommodating and nice. The traveler's photos are an excellent indication of what the Figeuroa looks like.

The only negatives I found - there wasn't a bedside clock so if you book here, bring a little travel clock (which is what I'll be doing the next time I have to work in LA); I was on the 10th floor and it was a bit loud; if you are used to sleeping on feather pillows, bring one.

Neighborhood: extremely convenient to the convention center, Staples Center, LA Live, loads of restaurants, and I felt, a VERY safe area. I went for a lovely run every morning up Figueroa to 2nd Street and explored a few streets in between to Grand. I never felt nervous or uncomfortable during my morning runs. There's a grocery store 3 blocks away if you're trying to save a little money on your meal allowance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
This is a nice accurate write up and I appreciate it. Frankly I was prepared to stop answering Trip Advisor until I spoke to a nice gentleman from a hotel named the O who said he enjoyed my responses. Can't let him down. By the way O is a real jewel ..one of my favorites.
My disgust stemmed from the previous review. This lady made arrangements on her own with UPS. Somehow UPS never came so of course she blamed the hotel and demanded that the hotel pay the freight, When I said no I became a horrible person. Next of course she writes a terrible review. People can write anything they want and it disgusts me.
I am thinking of turning this hotel into a place for feral cats, They can't be worse than some guests that we in the hotel industry have to put up with.in today's environment. I am old and miss the old days when people had manners.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Boise, Idaho, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The people are useless!! The hotel in NO WAY looks like the photos they show you and it is in a slightly shady part of town. You don’t feel very safe.

I had 2 packages that were supposed to be picked up from the front desk by UPS on the Monday after I checked out. After I was assured this would happen from the front desk I checked out Saturday. When I went to check the progress of my ground shipment on Friday I saw the packages had never been picked up. After talking to UPS they told me the front desk told the UPS driver the packages were not ready for pickup even though they were in the closet right next to the front desk.

When I called the hotel to find out why this would have happened the first person transferred me to the manager who’s name is Uno Thimansson he told me that his people would never tell UPS that the packages were not ready. Then he told me that I was making allegations towards his people. He was hands down the rudest person I have ever spoken to in hotel management. He in no way tried to help the situation even after I told him how many people we had staying in the hotel and how much money we paid to stay in a subpar hotel. All he said was then you should have checked out. When I asked to speak to the owner he said he was the owner. I’m pretty sure this is a lie. WOW!!!

The rooms were clean but trashy. The people are rude and unhelpful. DON’T EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!

Room Tip: There is NO room service. The people are rude. The rooms are tiny with chicken wire on the window. T...
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
UPS never came to pick up her packages. She blamed the hotel and wanted the hotel to pay for the shipping.When we refused she became nasty. Thus this review.
Why would we want to hold on to her parcels. They just took place in the luggage room. UPS comes all the time and the drivers know the front desk people and they also know the luggage room..This lady probably made a mistake with the order and the hotel is of course to blame.
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

love love love love did I say I love this place? Hotel Figueroa is the feast for the eyes with a great staff and superb management. It's not for everyone. It's not a chrome and glass tower but rather a Moroccan style Casbah with a splash of Southwest and occasional Buddha statues...it works and you have to see it for yourself. The location can't be beat in the heart of downtown LA. Stay here. You will fall in love with the entire experience.

• Stayed February 2013
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Nothing I can say about these comments except they fill me with overpowering joy.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at the Figueroa last year and thought it was wonderfully quirky. A small oasis where you least expect it, every inch of the Figueroa is decorated. The rooms are quite funny and comfortable. To be honest, it was surreal, but in a very fun and funny way. There are beautiful carpets and lamps all over the hotel and a wonderful outdoor area. The pool, while beautiful is also part of the quirky oasis, as it is situated right beside a massive parking lot (you don’t notice this at a first glance). The people were very kind and the guests were a lot of fun. I would certainly recommend this unexpected oasis to any visitors that prefer to steer clear of the over-modern hotel trend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I think this is a very accurate description as to who we are.
We are surrounded by the Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott and Luxe.We are the cheapest and rightly so..they are much much better..but as somebody said " We are a redhead in a sea of blondes"
personally I am graying..Trip Advisor is getting to me.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I chose The Fig for the Zumba conference knowing full well this was an older establishment and completely expected the quirky charm that I found. It was extremely convenient for walking to the convention center and there is a Ralph's grocery market two blocks away so you don't have to eat only at expensive restaurants. The bed was comfortable with nice freh sheets and the shower was hot with nice clean towels. What more could you want?
I was in the military and have lived in and travelled to third world countries. I feel The Figurora is very accurately represented on Trip Advisor. It is old, quirky, kind of charming.....so be aware of what to expect.

bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you. This is a well written accurate description as to who we are. Most hotels downtown are probably better than we are but we are different and I think the price is right.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel some time back but opted against it because I just wasn't sure of it. This time my assistant booked me in the host hotel for a convention I was attending and I didn't realize it was the Figueroa until I pulled up to the front. Upon entering the lobby you will either love this place, or not. The expansive lobby, like the hotel, is eclectic but beautiful in an old world charm sort of way. It's made to look middle eastern in a way that might have been popular in the 1920s. And while the hotel was an old YWCA in it's heyday, I couldn't help but feel that a place like this would have been popular with Hollywood stars back in the day. For this reason I think I took a definite liking to this property.

Parking is in a private lot in back and to get back and forth you walk through a wonderful tin roofed walkway that parallels the beautiful swimming pool. Nearby is a club (i assume, it wasn't open when I was there) called Rick's Place and, again, it made me think of old time Hollywood.

My room was on the second floor and painted in an odd vibrant orange. I walked in and didn't know what to think. A part of me, used to the Hyatt/Marriott/Hilton type hotel wasn't so sure, but another part of me thought it just was wonderful. Granted the table lamp was missing a shade but I didn't even notice that until my second day. I could have called downstairs for a shade I'm sure, but the added light was welcoming.

Two drawbacks for me was that the room was a little cool. There is a wall unit air conditioner that looks like it had a heating element (dial) but it didn't work. I'm sure I could have changed rooms but it wasn't really cold, just cool and the ample blankets and fluffy bed more than made up for that.

The other drawback was placing the 'do not disturb' card outside only to have the cleaning person knock and then enter the room. This actually happened twice, so be sure to use the chain on your door.

My room did not have a bathtub but the shower was ample in size and the water pressure WAS AWESOME and HOT.

The hotel is directly across the street from LA Live, with theaters, restaurants and other fun things and then a short walk to the convention center and Staples Center.

I was here for almost a week and will return. It is different, if you're expecting the mainstream type of hotel this place isn't for you. But if you want to step back in time, to a time that may never have existed, but a very cool eclectic experience, you should give this place a try.

bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
That was a very nice review. You stayed in a 33 room overlooking the pool. Actually the inside rooms are bigger and better all with tub and shower.
A year ago we bought 100 Plumen lightbulbs from London. They had just won a major design award in Europe and I like to mix modern and old. So the lamp shade is not missing..we want to show this fabulous bulb.
Sometimes when guests stay for an extended time and they have the Do Not Disturb sign on the door the Housekeeper along with maid will enter the room to make sure everything is in order.
Please come back and you can choose the room. Actually the Botero's in the room you stayed in are a bit more risque..
Hopkins, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

When you enter the hotel you discover it is not your usual chain. The reception area, pool and restaurant area have an exotic feeling. The staff was helpful and informative.The bar is small cozy and inviting. I loved the restaurant staff who were very welcoming. Breakfast was buffet style and reasonable but I like yogurt and fresh fruit which would be a good addition even if it was oranges, grapefruit etc. If felt a bit dated.
Our room was cozy and the painting is interesting. I will stay here again when I visit USC or downtown as it was very close to sights, restaurants etc.

Room Tip: Higher floor
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you. Good constructive comments. We need to keep the breakfast buffet simple because many of our bustours have breakfast included. If we were to include the items you suggested they would stuff their pockets, take those items along and have it for lunch. Tried it but it did not work.That by the way includes hard boiled eggs.
For a better breakfast we always suggest the Pantry or Farm of Beverly Hills or even Panini. Must admit however that I like our pancakes better. They are like frisbies....

Been to Hotel Figueroa? Share your experiences!