“Beautifully exotic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Figueroa

You added Hotel Figueroa to your Saves list
Hotel Figueroa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   939 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90015 (Downtown)   |
Special Price
Exclusive 20% Off
Ranked #125 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Long Beach, California
“Beautifully exotic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a nice change from your standard cookie-cutter hotel. The lobby, bar, and rooms are like something out of an Albert Camus story in 1940s North Africa. I usually could care less about the way a hotel room is decorated, but the dark red walls, rough wood furniture, dark bare floors, and cowhide-covered chair were beautiful and comfortable (and all very clean). Since I work in the area, I think a lot of foreign visitors stay here. I hope the Figueroa Hotel provides fond memories of their trip to Los Angeles.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Sir, you are so kind in what you say. Makes this journey worth the long hours over the years.
Actually as a young man I read Albert Camus. A bit over my head honestly. I am now reading about Bill Willis and his influence on Marrakech. Inspiring yet sad. So we will continue to fiddle around with the FIG. Right now I have this fabulous artist named Ira Gagon painting our elevator doors. Never seen anything like it. But this is what I like..not too concerned about coffee makers in our rooms..after all every room has a refrigerator.. Aquavit must be served chilled.
Hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I travel a lot for business, spending about 50 nights last year in your typically efficient corporate box hotels. So, when we had the chance to stay in a place that was out of the ordinary, I was excited. And - the Fig is not ordinary. It was built in 1925 as a YWCA residence. So, it has the charm of the era. The owners have created a cool Moroccan vibe. The rooms all have very unique furnishings. Other pluses are - it is a great price for the location, and the location. It is right next to LA Live, Staples, the fashion district and the convention center. That also is part of the challenge. We were there on a Saturday night, and the outside noise lasted well past midnight. The beds and pillows were too hard for my taste and the amenities were three star (no coffee in the room!?). The hotel cafe was OK, a basic breakfast buffet and a limited dinner menu was available. The checkin person was a bit sullen, but her supervisor was super.
I will also say that I am very impressed with the responsiveness of the hotel manager to comments on trip advisor. That speaks to a desire to be customer focused.
So - I enjoyed our stay, and would probably stay again, but there is unrealized potential.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you. The location is great but...this being the most popular and vibrant part of downtown you have to expect noise. We have the original windows which open and it is unlikely that I will ever change them.As for the mattresses we purchased brand new boxsprings and mattresses last year,totalling over 800 pieces, from Serta, Congressional quality which is supposed to be almost the best.
Pillows I just don't know. I think we have 6 pillows per room..never heard a complaint on those. No coffeemakers..I will never have..lobby cafe for the convenience of our guests only. 20 restaurants and 2 Starbucks within a block or so....so bottom line we do the best we can with what we have..some people appreciate us some don't understand us but I love the Figueroa and it is all my vision..positive and negative...can't win them all which I keep telling the Lakers..
Del Mar, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

If you need to be near LA Live or Convention Center, this is amazing location and fair price. The decor and vibe and not describable! Retro and archaic while very clean. Staff were OK and parking was real convenient. Drinks were good value with several "Star Wars" characters there! :)
I might actually go back but am still thinking about that!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
It is 6 AM Monday morning and I am not quite sure I understand this review. Seems overall positive. As for the Star Wars characters...I have yet to see any.
Thank you.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Really liked this place. Great, simple, warm furnishings and decor. Lovely, simple pool and bar out back (will try next time). Super close to Metro and Staples Center, etc. Front-desk staff was friendly and efficient. Comfortable bed. Only suggestions would be improved bolt lock on room doors, ceiling fans to augment the window-unit A/C (suspect it may get stuffy in the summer), improved restaurant/cafe, and maybe better televisions. These aren't show-stoppers for me staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you. All good points. Actually most of our rooms have ceiling fans and the windows all open, On Monday we will install about 75 plantation shutters. Really expensive but will enhance the rooms further, Plantation shutters, cowhides on the floor...I am not sure in what direction we are heading...
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I work in the music industry and have been coming to the Fig for the past few years as a base of operations for my weeklong stay for the Grammy Awards next door. So I'm here for both fun and business. I've stayed in the big downtown hotels and to me, this hotel has so much more personality and is such a great deal. Yeah, it's old, and the AC might be a little noisy if you're super-sensitive (though I could both work and sleep with no problem), but the rooms are clean, beautful and everything works! The staff were professional and very kind. My industry friends in town like meeting me here since it's so easy and a "cool" hang. The inexpensive parking makes it so cheap and easy to get out and about every day which is a huge plus for me. I love the pool bar! It looks like a movie set-lovely. The bartender was super accommodating (there were a lot of us) and he made great cocktails! Cheap little breakfast items downstairs are actually more convenient to me than room service-I can just grab what I want when I want. Insider tip-this will sound crazy but the car wash nextdoor has really yummy huevos rancheros. I'm coming back in a couple of weeks...can't wait!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you. Very nice of you to take time out to write. An accurate picture I believe as to what we are. Have done quite a few different things since last year's Grammy's so our guests might be pleasantly surprised. Once again a big Grammy party at the pool on the day of the Grammy's so it should be fun.
Clearly the Ritz, JW and Luxe across the street are better than we are but we might be more fun.
orangevale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I love the hotel but can't ignore the beeping from backing machinery nearby. No fault of The hotel i understand but for business travelers it certainly must be a consideration. It's 2:35 a.m. and I'm awake because even turning on the heater to drown out the noise didn't help. I came here because of the charm and quirky atmosphere but I'm certain to regret my decision when i awaken at 5 am for my 7am business meeting. I'm exhausted because of the constant ringing in my ears. It's like a bad dream. The location is great and my stay leading up to this point has been perfect. The staff is wonderful, great location and cozy atmosphere. There should be a law against this noise when people are trying to sleep. I hate staying in a run of the mill hotel but i have to think these 90 year old windows aren't equipped to dull the roar of construction equipment. They've done a great job with the decor. I would have given 5 stars had it not been for the beep beep beeping noise ringing in my ears. I haven't heard the noise for nearly 5 minutes....I can only hope the workers have taken their lunch break. :(

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
So sorry. The construction of 2 new Marriots 2 blocks away must be the ones creating the noise. They only have pernissiion to start work at 7 AM , It is 6 AM now and I am home but will be on my way to the construction site shortly. Actually must be worse for the JW which is just across the street.
Appreciate your other comments. Decor and staff..thank you very much..I don't think we will ever be a 5 star but I will settle for a good 3.
Hope you liked our new cowhides...we now have them in 50 of our rooms...I think they are great.
Surrey, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spent three nights at the Figueroa in October 2012. In a city as big as LA, choosing the right place to stay can seem daunting, but we are glad we chose this hotel. It is right at the heart of downtown, spitting distance to LA Live where there is a great choice of bars and restaurants. For us, it was a good place to base ourselves to explore the city (by car) and was good value too.

The design is quirky and the rooms are comfortable enough if a little tired. Wi-fi is available but not free. Parking was very easy convenient and not too dear.

Overall, definitely recommend it.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Overall a positive review I thought. The " tired" look...Yes perhaps..we have the old TV's, old armoirs, but that is what we are, Just purchased 50 cowhides from Brazil. Exciting..this will add to our age further because based on the size of these hides the cows must have been big and old. Actually a previous review " The Figueroa hotel is a red head in a see of blondes" really captures what we are.

Been to Hotel Figueroa? Share your experiences!