“Surprisingly Decent Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Los Angeles/Downtown West

Save Saved
You added Ramada Los Angeles/Downtown West to your Saves list
Ramada Los Angeles/Downtown West
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1901 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90006 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #250 of 323 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Francisco
“Surprisingly Decent Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

When three of my friends and I booked a room in this motel for $135 a night, we weren't expecting much. We just needed some beds and a roof over our heads while we attended FYF music festival. While it wasn't the best hotel any of us had ever been to, it also wasn't the worst.

Pros:

Decent pool
(Mostly) Friendly Staff
Free Parking
Comfy Beds
Clean Rooms
10 minute walk to Metro station
Close to 7/11, Subway, and many Korean restaurants
Short Uber ride to great bars and restaurants

Cons:

Intimidating neighborhood. Did not feel safe walking at night. One night we saw a man outside of the 7/11 (one block from hotel) screaming and wielding a knife. Not good.
Rollaway bed had holes in it
Bathroom smelled like cigarette smoke

I would stay again, based on price, comfort, and amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms facing pool have a balcony! We wish we would have known!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
RamadaLA, Director of Sales at Ramada Los Angeles/Downtown West, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Hello,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us this past weekend while attending the FYF Festival. Each day we try our best to make the property better.
Please let us know what we can do better to deserve your 5 points?

Best,
hosselyn@ramadalaconvention.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Where to begin.... This hotel needs a LOT of updating. It certainly has potential - I liked the courtyard style of parts of it, as well as the "grand" staircase in the lobby. I also found Martin at the front desk to be very nice and accommodating. The first issue was the parking situation - extremely small lot with barely enough room to maneuver, let alone enough parking for the hotel! The room wasn't bad, but the AC didn't work - the air was on but it wasn't cooling. I even called down to the desk to see if I was doing something wrong but it must have just been broken. At that point it was too late to change rooms as I was already unpacked and just had to deal with it the rest of the night and morning. At least when I went to get breakfast and check out, Martin offered to comp my breakfast due to the issue with the AC. That's the only thing that brought this review up from a Poor to an Average. This place definitely wasn't my first choice but the rest of the city was sold out. Next time I would definitely try to find something better until they can listen to their customers and fix these issues.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure if you were aware of our two parking lots. We have one which is alongside the front desk and another which is located right across the hotel. We are in the process of installing some brand new A/Cs in some of the rooms that the A/C is not working properly. Please let us know on what we can improve to have you as our guest again?

Best,
Anaheim Hills, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I stayed here during a convention and found several things that were fine and others that were not so fine. The room is pretty modern and decent layout, but the bed (at least, for me) was really stiff and hard and it wasn't the best night's sleep. One of the things that made me decide to come here was that they have free parking. However, they only have about enough space for one spot per room, but during the convention, many people came in small caravans and such, so there were a lot more cars than spaces available. This became particularly problematic one morning when it took 20 minutes to move two cars out of my way and for a staffer to carefully help me navigate out of my cramped parking spot. The food for the breakfast was basic, but I found stuff to eat, although would've liked some more options or more hot breakfast items (especially since breakfast wasn't free). Although the interior looked nice, there was an odd musty smell in the hallways (possibly from people tracking pool water onto the carpet; but not certain). Probably the strangest thing was that the floors were not level. I'd walk in the hallway and I can tell when changes in elevation (kind of like the uneven surfaces on scaffolds) and my door had a gap on one side of it). It was a nice distance from the LA convention center, and not a bad place for the price and location, but I'll probably consider another location that has a few more conveniences.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi Veronica,

We are very sorry to know that you had a semi-pleasant stay on your recent visit. We have two parking lots one located adjacent the lobby and also another right across the street. During your stay we were working on adding hot items to the menu and we now have. So, we have a very extended Hot Breakfast Menu now.

We ask that you book again with us and have Breakfast on us so that we can ensure that you will not be disappointed on your next visit. We look forward to hearing from you.

Warmest,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Firstly despite what they advertise, there is no shuttle to or from the airport, it is something you need to arrange yourself despite being one of the features this hotel advertises.
Once you get there, you have to deal with the staff and their could not care less attitude.
We arrived about an hour before the actual check-in time due to getting out of LAX much faster than expected. We made ourselves known at the front desk and were greeted by a very unfriendly "you're early" by the guy at the desk. No welcome, no attempt to greet us, just telling us what we already knew, we were early.
We wait in the foyer for the hour until the check in time, only to then be told our room wasn't ready and wouldn't be for some time yet. No big deal, we ask if we can leave our luggage somewhere secure until they finish the room and we can go elsewhere and get some food.
Their idea of "somewhere secure" was to leave the luggage unattended in the middle of the foyer where we found it an hour later. I walked up and took one of the bags with none of the completely new staff behind the desk questioning me if these were my bags or not. I could have simply walked in, taken the bag and left without the front desk even caring.
Once they finally found us a room, we have to walk a fair distance with out luggage with no offers of help or a cart to transport 5 pieces of luggage.
The hotel itself could have been so beautiful if it wasn't for the mold stained carpets, some patches had worn all the way through and holes were easily seen. More disturbing were the red stains on parts of the carpets which looked like blood but we were not game enough to ask what they were! The carpet on the main staircase especially is almost worn completely through.
The room itself is fairly large, a good size for 3 people.
The downside is the wardrobe doors don't shut, the bathroom door doesn't shut properly, the shower door has no handle on the inside and frequently jammed making it tricky for the person inside to escape. The bathroom is not big enough to dry yourself after a shower. The tv is not tuned so that half the available stations don't work.
However the biggest issue with the room is the toilet which blocked everytime you flushed! For a 7 day stay, this had to be fixed 6 times. Each time the front desk couldn't care less about this problem and they even didn't send someone to fix it one day. We had to go to the McDonalds across the road to use the bathroom on a daily basis.
Only on the second last day of our visit, did the front desk offer us a new room but by then it was far too little too late.
The maid service is by far the worst I have encountered anywhere in the USA.
2 days the maid simply didn't touch our room at all, another time she entered the room when the Do Not Disturb was hanging on the door. She also changed the settings on the air con, changing our preferred temp from 68 to 81 degrees. Personal items on the dresser were moved and rearranged. Finally one day she took all the towels from the room and did not replace a single one! We had to search high and low for over half an hour to get more towels, again the front desk could not care less when contacted. We stopped tipping the maid towards the end of the stay because they simply didn't do their job properly.
The 24 hour business center was not 24 hours. We tried to print tickets at 6am only to be told to go away and come back at 9am when it opened. Again when we pointed out they advertise this as 24 hours, the front desk simply didn't care and shrugged their shoulders.
We requested late check out as a way of making up for these problems and had to fight tooth and nail to get them to agree. However come normal check out time, I get a terse call from the front desk asking when I'm leaving. I tell them late check out had been arranged and they agreed but then disabled all the room keys so we could not get back into the room.
In short, this is one of the worst hotel experiences I've had in the multiple trips to the US and could not recommend this to anyone.
I'm genuinely shocked that a recognized brand such as Ramada would let an establishment like this carry their name.

Hi Shane,

Thank you so much for your feedback. At this moment I am beyond upset on the way you were treated and how the situation were handled. We have gotten hold of the agents that assisted you and have been reprimanded. Hopefully, you stay with us again and if you do please let me know and I will make sure that your stay is over 100% satisfactory.

Regards,
Long Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I had the worst customer service experience here and no one has been responsive or helpful. I've tried talking to several employees who never allowed me to speak directly with the manager; tried talking with customer service several times who promised to help and get back to me but never did. And after checking my account, they've charged me nearly full price for such a frustrating experience (and even though they gave me a room with double beds instead of queens, they "helped" by taking $10 off the price of the night). What I thought was going to be a great weekend turned out to be ridiculous, frustrating, and apparently never-ending since I am still struggling to find a fair reconciliation for this stay. Don't stay here. Ramada seems to care only if they feel you'll let them rob you blind. The second you need actual help or actual customer service, they will do you wrong. There's a Radisson closer to the L.A. Live area that I hear has great customer service. Just stay there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Hi Prescilla,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologized that you didn't have a pleasant stay with us. I sincerely apologized that our agents weren't able to assist you with the issue.

Been to Ramada Los Angeles/Downtown West? Share your experiences!