“Clever and upbeat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Baltimore
“Clever and upbeat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Right across the street from LA's oldest Farmer's Market is The Farmer's Daughter hotel, thus the Farm Themed decor and surroundings. Quirky and extremely clever, spotlessly clean. Rooms are kind of spartan, but contain some seldom seen amenities, like the little box labeled "Just Do It" containing 2 condoms and some lubricant, and another labeled "Just Fix It" containing bandages and antiseptic ointment. Downside is that towels are collected in the morning,and show up again late in the day. Includes breakfast in Tart restaurant, on the premises, a terrific plus.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights and what a nice little hotel it is.
I did love the quirkiness and novelty of the place.
The staff were really friendly and helpful and also the restaurant was good too.
Beds were very comfortable and the rooms were nice and clean. There was also a mini bar and small novelty handy packs in each room which were cute.
After room service had been they had forgotten replacement tea and coffee facilities, also the toilet paper was not replaced but this was nothing that the friendly desk staff couldn't help us with.
The only thing that I disliked was the vallet parking and I would have liked an option to park my own car but at least there was a carpark available and I think Valet is just an American standard that I don't get.
All in all it was a pleasant stay and if I were in the area again I would defiantly stay here again.
Thanks for a nice time :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for seven nights during our three week stay in L.A. after reading the positive reviews. When I booked the hotel directly many months prior I requested a quiet room. I notice other reviews said Do not stay in room 103 due to noise. We we're put in room 102 right next door. Shortly after our arrival we stepped outside our room to explore the rest of this MOTEL and discovered the female staff member from the front desk having a heated argument with someone on her cell phone.On check in the staff were unfriendly disinterested and unhelpful. Room 102 was probably the second most noisiest room in the MOTEL right near the noisy clunking ice machine and vending machine.
Room was clean and basic. Curtains at windows were no better than a cheap tablecloth which allowed light in all night. Bathroom was tiny but served its purpose. We were kept awake listening to other guests using their bathrooms during the night. Walls were tissue thin. Although we didn't have overly high expectations we did expect something just a little better as we were paying quite a high price for the room. After the first night we asked if we could move rooms due to the noise from ice machine etc but were told we would have to wait another night as the hotel was booked out. After another noisy night we decided that we would stay put as it was either a choice between the machines or the music blaring day and night from the restaurant.
During that day there was a staff member outside our room sanding down tables possibly from the restaurant. That was fine but at 10.30pm that night he was a still noisy, sanding with lights blazing in to our room. What with the noise of the machines, music from the restaurant and now the constant scraping of the sandpaper right outside our room, this was the final straw. We asked the girl at the front desk if she could stop the man from sanding the tables at such a late hour and she was blissfully unaware that he was still working out there and showed no consideration for the guests. He did eventually pack up and leave. We decided to not let this horrendous MOTEL ruin our holiday so phoned around to find something else.
The next morning we told the man at the desk that we were leaving. He could not have cared less and did not even inquire as to why. He then told my husband that he would be charging us for the whole seven nights as it had been booked by Expedia. This was absolute rubbish and when I challenged him about it he said that he had made a mistake with the room number. Rubbish, he was incompetent and seemed to enjoy informing us that we had to pay for the 7 nights out of spite, he then was not in any way genuinely apologetic for his error. They did charge our credit card for the whole seven nights but did refund the difference after a few days. We left and went to a different hotel who couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful in a similar location with a much cheaper price.
It was absolute heaven after this horrible nightmare of a place. I'm surprised by the amount of positive reviews for this hotel (Motel!!) The staff were obnoxious and disinterested. The rooms tacky and noisy with uncomfortable beds. This is our 4th trip to the US and by far this is the worst hotel we have stayed in. Be warned, stay away!
Interestingly, two weeks later we struck up a conversation at LAX with some fellow Australian tourists whilst waiting to board our plane back home. They (like us) are frequent travellers to the US, they also stayed at the Farmer's Daughter but checked out after one night due to similar issues with noise, rude staff etc. Australians are in general laid back and easy going, this is a crappy hotel if even us Aussies find it intolerable.
In all this hotel/motel has only one thing going for it, it is close to the grove. That is not enough,however, to warrant booking a stay at this shabby excuse for a hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

First and foremost - I had a nice stay at the Farmer's Daughter.
Allow me to share a few observations:

THE GOOD
- The theme, and its execution inside and out, are absoutely charming.
- Nice and thoughtful extras offered: cookies or spiced hot cider served at the front desk.
- House-keeping does a decent job: spotless bathroom, fresh smell in the room.
- Good water pressure, plenty of hot water, quality shampoo and shower gel.
- Truly friendly staff.
- Fast internet, at no extra charge! Decent flat-screen TV in room.
- Great location near CBS Television City, The Grove, Farmer's Market, plus Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in walking distance.

THE CAVEATS
- While it calls itself a 'boutique hotel' it really is a spruced up motel property.
- Noisy A/C unit under the window: rushing fan, humming compressor and all.
- Limited counter space around the sink. And: No bar of soap for washing hands provided.
- Not much storage for clothes, but enough space in the room to 'live from the suitcase.'
- Noise from outside hallways and neighbouring rooms can be heard.
- Bathrooms are clean, but basic (acrylic wall covers, low tub,...), and they begin to show signs of age as well as of ageing.
- My room (#321), while being okay, also showed signs of fraying at the edges: leaky shower head, wavy linoleum near the tub, abused desk surface, curtains missing a loop or two,... While this is not a biggie, it still registers somehow...
- No Gym/Cardio on spot, and no info ready or avilable on suggested routes for runners.
The hotel, however, negotiated a discount daily rate at a nearby gym (which I did not get around to try)...
- As with many central locations, there is a certain amount of noise from the street.
- Popular restaurant TART also means music and chatter from the courtyard, especially during weekends.

THE VERDICT
I would recommend The Farmer's Daughter because of its unique theme, quirky decor, and great location. If you keep in mind the above, you are likely to have a pleasant stay there.
Just make sure you don't expect five-star perfection, serenity and luxury.
The hotel, however, should not rest on its laurels, and make sure it adresses issues such as timely renovations and maintenance.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is the second time that I have stayed here and they always deliver!! I came here with an associate and his wife and they LOVED it!! It is great to have little free goodies all day long - from the Hot Apple Cider and tasty cookies to their Whisky tastings and more. The staff here are really fantastic and we will all be back. Great location if you want to eat and shop at The Grove directly across the street and the same access to CBS Studios which is where we all went to for Dancing with the Stars. Their rates are also unbeatable for this property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

So we booked this motel for 3 nights during our stay in LA. Now I didn’t expect the Beverly Wilshire, but I also didn’t expect Motel 6 (especially based on some reviews on this site). I did however expect somewhere in the middle.

We stayed in the family suite. The staff claimed to be able to accommodate a family of 5 in the suite, and the website stated a double sofa. What we actually got was a single "sofa" with another matress that sat on the floor which made it a "double" (the two beds were of different heights, so there was no way this could be considered a double sofa bed). The room then became very tight with the rollaway added.

One of my major dramas was that the A/c was only in the living area. The main bedroom was very hot. Basically the kids in the living area were freezing in order to try and keep the bedroom temperature down. There was also no real blinds in the room and the lights from the restaurant kept the room very well lit throughout the night. The noise was also horrendous with the ability to hear absolutely everything through their paper thin walls. Being next to the lift also didn't help.

The bed was possibly he most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in, and that includes my stays in various hostels around the world. An extremely hard matress combined with a soft, near flat pillow made for myself and my wife waking up in all sorts of pain.

There were no laundry facilities, which would be a bonus for this motel if added. They weren't advertised so I cannot downgrade due to this, but there isn't much around the area if needed.

The room had a small kitchenette available which would have helped if you wanted to cook a simple meal for the evening dinner. Pots and pans were available, but crockery and cutlery was missing which was kind of odd.

A plus is that it's in a good location, just opposite the Farmer's Market and Grove shopping centre. They also had little gimmicks which were enjoyed, such as the cookies and lemonade in the afternoon, and the whiskey hour.

The Tart restaurant was packed when we were there, with many New Price is Right contestants. There were also a couple of loud obnoxious drunks in the bar, but I can't hold that against the 99% of people who were polite.

Valet was expensive but efficient. Mind you the cars are only parked around the corner.
Still, $18 per night when I had to cart my own luggage to the room seems excessive.

The pool was small, but they didn't advertise an Olympic sized swimming pool. If was fine for kids and those needing a quick dip. The kids did enjoy the rubber duckies and floating animals.

Staff were helpful, although at one time a little “too much”. We had two towels in our room, but also had a family of 5 staying in there so I requested more towels. They then dropped extra towels off. Instead of knocking however, they simply walked into the room and threw the towels on the sofa ! I wasn’t too impressed considering I had my kids in that room in bed.

We checked out after one night of our 3 night stay. The staff didn’t seem to care too much - it actually came across as this was a common practice for travelers..

Overall, they need to fix their bedding, and install some decent blinds in the room. They can't fix the noise problems, but at least making the room comfortable would help alleviate the other issues.

As I said, I wanted to like it, but couldn't.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Arrived late to find the our room not made up properly , had to wait for pull out / portable bed to arrive even though the room was booked for 3 ! The pull out bed had the noisiest mattress I have heard , just as well for the large main bed.
Hotel in a good location next to the Farmers Market .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Farmer's Daughter Hotel? Share your experiences!