“Lovely, charming, homey, and comforting. Amazing place to stay especially right across” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Farmer's Daughter Hotel

You added Farmer's Daughter Hotel to your Saves list
Farmer's Daughter Hotel
115 S. Fairfax Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90036 (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #47 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Amazing place to stay especially right across from the historic farmers market and grove. Absolutely my favorite part of la. The staff is incredible and ensures a quality stay here. They even have really cute beach cruisers you can checkout at no cost to ride around the area! Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Dirty and uncomfortable bed, sticky floors and moldy bathroom. I would not stay there again for free.

Stayed May 2012
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I was excited to find this gem, after reading up on many places in the vicinity. I see that another traveler complained about the price but in fact all LA hotels will charge tax and parking and this price was very good when compared with others in the area.

You can't beat staying within walking distance of the Farmer's Market and the Grove. We perused Barnes and Noble late at night, had early lattes and fruit and amazing croissants at Shortcake in the Farmer's Market, and had great pickins of restaurants between the Grove and the Farmers Market. Also steps away is Trader Joes and we enjoyed one night of salads a baguettes on the cute outdoor patio outside our room (keeping expenses down!)

The room is nicely refurbished and charming with the farm themed decor. I found it pleasant and totally adequate in amenities. We didn't come to LA after all to hang out in the room!

The pool is little but was perfect for my kids-- they loved the rubber ducks and the ping pong. Nice touches.

We ate breakfast at Tart and it was delicious and the service was courteous and quick. I loved the decor.

My one note to parents: there is a clothes line in the lobby with panties that read "Do It At the Daughter" across the tush, and with a woman's rear being the center piece of the brochure as well I think it's a theme. My 12 year old daughter was offended and looked at me like "How could you bring us here?" As if I had really checked us in to the No-tell Motel. She was quickly distracted by the chocolate chip cookies (free and ample sized!) and the chirping budgies. As a mother of awesome young girls I'd rather they tone down the sex sell... it doesn't need it because it's super cute without!

Room Tip: A room on the second floor above the lobby was both quiet and had access to a sweet outdoor patio.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed at the Farmer's Daughter for one night while visiting LA. Location is great... steps away from Farmers Market, Grove and short walk to West Hollywood. The concept is kitchy-country hip.

The concept of the place is cool and fun but they fail to deliver on a few fundamental areas: 1. Beds are hard as a rock. This will eliminate guests from making a return visit to this hotel. 2. Staff at hotel eatery Tart is non-responsive and needs training in customer service and cleanliness Examples: Wait staff were chatting at bar for close to 10 minutes before anyone even greeted us... the place is not that big, so this was weird. One wait person cleared crumbs off next table onto bench seat and left it there... gross! I ordered a Mule drink and it was nearly undrinkable... pretty easy cocktail to make so not sure what that was about. Then wait person short changed me.... when I pointed it out he had a vacant look in his eyes and didn't seem to get it nor did he apologize. 3. The icing on the cake is the price... I know that it is not cheap for a decent place in LA, but when all was said and done with room and parking (not including drinks at Tart or any other food) total bill was $324. This is outrageous!

I hope the hotel owner reads this and at least 1. Adds memory foam to mattresses and 2. trains and adequately gives feedback to Tart wait staff... cleaning house of a few may be necessary.

Sad to say I recommend staying somewhere else... If for no other reason the Best Western has beds more comfortable than Farmer's Daughter!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from Fairfax Avenue
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We loved our stay at Farmer's Daughter. It was a little expensive, compared to what we usually pay, but we thought the splurge was worth it. The staff was really nice, not what other's have been saying on Trip Advisor. The chocolate chip cookies and lemonade in the lobby is awesome. Rooms were good, although the styling could be improved. The restaurant next door was really good, well priced and fun to eat in. The pool was great and we could see the Hollywood sign from our window!
We tried to find free street parking, but it was tough so we just ended up getting the valet at the hotel, which was a little pricey ($18).
The location was great, lots to walk to (Grove, Farmer's Market, Ross, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc).
Free internet was great and there is a fridge in the room so you can buy your breakfast at one of the grocery stores in the area. We loved our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I so wanted to like this hotel and we were very excited to stay there, but I just ended up feeling disappointed. Our original costing was 290GBP for three nights plus tax but we ended up paying well over 400 GBP (including only one evening meal and without breakfast). This was after we had paid for all of the little taxes, parking fee, parking tax, green tax, city tax etc etc. The receipt was endless. I paid up feeling I could have booked somewhere far nicer for around that sum.

The building itself is an old motel which has, quite simply, just been painted over. I like what they are aiming to do and support the ethos but it just struck me as strange that they spent so much time and money putting up pictures of ducks and strange scratchy headboards in the rooms but the paintwork inside and outside is just shabby and undermines their efforts. The bathroom door had an ancient sign half painted over and it just seemed hurried and not well finished or particularly clean. On top of this the place has a strange smell and other than the bed, which was clean, I always felt a bit grubby there, even though the cleaners did the best they could.

The other problem was with getting some sleep. Although the bed was quite comfortable, the air con was ancient and old and made a huge amount of noise. When we couldn't bear it any more we switched if off but we could then hear the unit in the next door room through the paper thin walls. On another night some people stayed up late drinking and talking right outside our door which was also a bit frustrating when there was a whole huge bar area downstairs.

The location is good in that there is great shopping and a wonderful farmer's market just across the road, as well as nice cafes and a particularly good sandwich place down the road on the corner. We ate at Tart once but didn't eat there again, though the staff were great.

I liked the people and the atmosphere and so wanted to like this quirky place, but for the price and with the lack of sleep and feel of cleanliness, I just couldn't appreciate it.

Stayed July 2012
, Owner at Farmer's Daughter Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and share your feedback. Not much we can do about tax's. It is the nature of doing business in Los Angeles.

They just recently passed a LA TOURISM TAX that we had to add this year, just horrible. we split everything out so the guest can clearly see what we are charging as opposed to the city and state. If you can get our Mayor and Governor to lower the tax all of us business owners in Los Angeles would be happy.

I will be getting with our Maint. staff first thing tomorrow and see what is going on with the room your were in.

I and also disappointed to read that our night staff did not attempt to control the noise outside, we will be going over this in our management meeting this week. Our guests comfort is one of our highest priorities...
Woodway, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Farmer's Daughter has much to commend it. The location is the best, right across from the Farmer's Market and The Grove. Decorations are whimsical, the cookies and drinks in the lobby each evening are a nice touch available in most hotels. The "high speed" internet was free but faster service cost extra. Did not try it to see if it was worth the price. The free internet was generally draggy. Beds were comfortable and towels changed daily when put in the tub.

What brings the place down is the housekeeping. The most egregious incident was the maid going into clean the room while we were at breakfast although we had a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. We had not picked up. Cameras and laptops and phone chargers were lying around. When we came back in the room, the maid, who was still in the room, had cleaned up and tossed a suitcase onto a chair. Maybe it is too much to expect that the Do Not Disturb sign provides a modicum of privacy but that was my expectation and I felt my privacy was violated. To add insult to injury, it turned out the maid did not speak English and evidently did not know what the sign meant. When I went down to complain to the staff, I got a tepid "sorry". If you hire staff who do not speak the language of the hotel, management has a responsibility to assure that they know what things mean. This was a miserable failure.

Whether or not it is connected to the untrained maid, we had one bar of Ivory soap, in the room when we arrived. This bar of soap had to serve for bath/shower and sink handwashing. In spite of my request, a second bar was not forthcoming. A dirty coffee cup was never replaced. It took three days before a dirty glass was replaced.

Several front desk staff members were friendly but others simply ignored us as we came and went with no friendly hello, a behavior even the largest hotels today have trained their staff. This was our second stay at this hotel but it will be our last.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Farmer's Daughter Hotel? Share your experiences!