“Did not feel welcome” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Mirage Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
La Mirage Inn
You added La Mirage Inn to your Saves list
6020 Franklin Ave., Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Hollywood)   |
Ranked #178 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Fransisco
“Did not feel welcome”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

The place is fine. Rooms are clean and basic. Location is fine, Next to the 101 fwy and located at the base of the Hollywood Hills. The problem is the managers are not very welcoming. We went there because of the location and got treated like we were intuders. When we came back late one night, the owner (or manager) had to be woken up and came out sleepy eyed to buzz us in. We didn't want to leave again, even though we were going to a party, which is the main reason for the trip. When we came back later, he could not have been more annoyed with us. Between the inch thick bullet-proof glass and feeling like prisoners, I think we'll stay somewhere else next time.

Jessica

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — front desk
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Page, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

I came from Arizona for two days for a meeting in Hollywood. My girlfriend who lives in Orange County, stayed with me at the motel. We checked in and said we might stay another night, and we would let them know in the morning. The next morning, my girlfriend went to work. I had put my wallet in her purse the night before. I went down to the office to let them know we would be staying another night. The woman said she needed to see my credit card again. I told her it was in my girlfriend's purse, but she could just run the number again. She very rudely in her thick accent told me she needed to see the card again or I had to leave, even though she had the number from the night before. I told her I didn't have a car and had nowhere to put my things. She wagged her finger at me and told me to pay or get out. I offered to leave her my $2000 lap top for collateral. She said no! She said I could wait for David, her husband and talk to him. I did, and was late for my meeting. When David showed up, he finally said I could leave my things in the room, but surrender my key and not go into the room until I showed him my credit card again, even though it was the same card as the night before!
I had stayed there years before and told him that. He couldn't have cared less. Amazing that you pay $114 + tax for a standard motel room and get treated like that. Stay away unless you want to be treated like a piece of trash!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very Rude!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
los angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

The room was very clean and had a nice bed, clean bathroom, close the 101 fwy, which was fine, not too noisy and located in a nice neighborhood in Hollywood, close to "Hollywood", but in a more suburban neighborhood. The problem was: I paid $114.00 per night because the only remaining room had a kitchen. The "kitchen" was a mini fridge and a microwave. The manager or owner, David was nice enough, but I felt like a criminal staying there. I had to pay a $20 deposit for the tv remote, like I would steal a $5 remote, so I have to put $20 down to ensure that won't happen. Also, I was staying by myself, but had a friend in town, and when I tried to bring her to the room just to grab some stuff, so we could go out for the night, he actually tried to charge me $5 for her to come into the room!!! Why not $20? After all, she might steal the remote. I was so offended I told him I would not pay the $5 (out of principle) and he told me I had to pay it or I could not stay there. I paid the $5, which I wish I hadn't, and just gone somewhere else, but I didn't.

I understand you're in Hollywood, where there are some criminals, but I can find a place in the same neighborhood that doesn't think I'm one. You have to have better judgment than that.

That whole experience ruined it for me. Next time I'm in town for business, I'll go to the Best Western, two blocks away.

Mike Moore

• Liked — clean room
  • Disliked — being treated like a criminal.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

We stayed the La Mirage this past weekend and had a very good experience. It is an excellent value. Our first choice was the Best Western down the street, but it was booked (and $70 more per night).
La Mirage is a bare bones hotel, but very clean. Bring your own shampoo - they don't provide it. They didn't have a crib for our baby so we had to bring one which was no big deal. I was a little worried about staying there but on the strength of the few reviews I read here, I decided it was worth trying. We would stay there again.

Stayed March 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2006

Nestled in the Beachwood section of Hollywood the Mirage Inn is an excellent place to stay while in the area. A family owned operation where each guest is treated like a member of the family. Rooms are large, clean and neat. The Beachwood area has everything you need and is a short walk from downtown Hollywood. I highly recommend the Mirage Inn to anyone staying in the the Los Angeles area.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

Stayed there during the week of July 4th. For the price, I think it was a very good place to stay. Not having seen many reviews on the net, we went there with trepidation. We found the place to be clean, safe, they locked the doors during the evening and night and would ring you in, and the management was responsive. One night a guest made a distrbance at 4 am and he would not calm down. The following day he was evicted. The room did have airconditioning and because the room faced Franklin Ave we did use it at night. It was very convenient, we walked to downtown Hollywood (it was a good hike) and also took the dash. It was close to cafe 101 to get coffee, but I do wish they had coffee in the room. I would stay there again in a heart beat. I have read about other Høllywood hotels that were dirty, buggy, and had questionable people around them, and I did not find that at all with this hotel. Ask for the weekly rate if you are staying there for a week or more. It is a bargain. It is not a fancy place, but it is clean and safe.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2002

I love Mirage Inn and the Indian family that takes care of the small hotel.There are roses and blue flowers around and in front there is a school. in the winter, you can hear the sound of the lesson, each hour. I travel all around the world, sometimes in the most beautiful hotel, but Mirage Inn is special, islike an adventure, is like to read a book of Nathanael West, <The day of the Locust>, or a book about the old Hollywood. The Hotel is small, but clean and the Indian family takes care of everything and you can use your computer with easy acces to Internet. It is very quiet, near the freeway, near Sunset and Hollywood Boulevard and you can go in five minutes all over, in the Valley, to Griffith Park, to the hills. It is not depressing as someother wrote: you need fantasy to stay there and every day to leave for different places and, in the evening, to came back in the clean room, with your dreams.
Globe trotter Giovanna

Been to La Mirage Inn? Share your experiences!