“LA Hollywood Motor Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Saharan Motor Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7212 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90046   |
Ranked #142 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“LA Hollywood Motor Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

pleasant helpful staff. recently revamped rooms. good beds, WiFi, bathrooms, parking, centrally located, handy to freeway and hollywood

Room Tip: get a ground level room if you want to avoid carrying cases up stairs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Made reservations,traveled w my fam for 9 hrs got there at 2am when we got there we were releived to know that we were going to get some rest but the guy at the front desk wa rude and telling us that there was no reaervtions after I had called a night beforeto clarify that the rooms were ready..he said yes so we went based on tjat..it went downhill after that...we gave him our ids bank card..charged our card w no notice was charging 300 per room when on booking.com I was suppose to be paying 323 for both rooms... When we told him that I wanted wat was booked for me he got really upset threw our ids to us waved his hand telling ua to leave. we asked for our refund and asked for a manager he said I am the manager I called booking.com to clarify they told me he was wrong to do that and that je was suppose to charge 323 for 2 rooms so we ended up leaving I was not going to stay after all the crap he did.. We were out droving w kids n a 9 mnth old frustrated for 3 hrs until we found one..never ever will I stay or plan to come here..if the guy at the front desk acts like th at with customers then obviously the owner or manager should hire ppl with much better attitude and better customer service..

• Stayed July 2012
, Owner at Saharan Motor Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
We are sorry that you were not happy. We talked to the front desk who assisted you. He agrees you arrived at 2 am. He says that you had a reservation for 2 nights. Because you arrived at 2 am, he states that you only wanted to pay for one night, because the day had changed. That is how argument started he says. And it went downhill from there. I am sorry and we do not intend to make any guest angry. If we hold a room all day for a guest, they have to pay for the full day, even if they check in at 2 am. Check out time is 11 am that same morning. After 11am another day begins. Please please try us again, the General Manager or the owner will assist you. We do not want you to be upset, and will try our best to make your next stay a pleasant one. Thank you.
Tegucigalpa, Francisco Morazan, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

This may not be a 5 star hotel, but for the price I payed, it was worth every last penny. Great location, 3 blocks away from the Dolby, Madame Tussaud's, Walk of Fame, metro station and a Starbucks. It has great wifi signal, (at least from my room, and a block away from the hotel). Very nice man at the counter and cleaning staff. Our room had a flat screen, microwave, fridge and the best of all, HOT WATER! We didn't get to see the restaurant

Room Tip: Well, we had the 123, and it was an easy access one, close to the pool (never got in, but it was clo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Looks old on the outside but rooms are tidy and clean, even modern for the age of the building. Great location. Close to shops, drug store, walk of fame. Car parking out back. BUT. forget the breakfast, its a twinkie and a glass of Tang..but still, good value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Collinsville, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

From the outside it looks dismal. One of those 1950 drive-in motels painted a dismal tangerine. Once in the courtyard you discover a different world. Old, yes but redone and cute by comparison with the neighbors. Close to everything and 20-40 dollars cheaper than the rest. Rooms are clean and nice but small plenty of secure parking. Super market across street deli next door and you are on the strip. Front desk a little dense but hang in there it is worth the trip.

• Stayed June 2012
, Owner at Saharan Motor Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We like the Tangerine color, but will try to make it lighter in future. Your comments are important to us. We like to maintain our independent feel to our hotel. We have upgraded the furniture and have flat panel TV's now, rooms look even better. New pictures will be up soon! Thank you.
Chartres, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

The saharan is a nice hotel, well located on Sunset Blvd at 2-min from the Hollywood Blvd and 15-min by car to Universal Studios, about 20-30 min by car to Santa Monica Pier ou Beverly Hills.

The rooms are big enough and cleaned.
Rates are OK for the location.
The breakfast is not so bad.
Free and efficient wifi
And the best point: YOU HAVE A FREE AND SAFE PARKING for your car!!

What else for a good stay in LA!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Saharan Motor Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We can easily charge $10 to $25 for parking. Most hotels in Hollywood/West Hollywood area do. But we want to provide best value to our guests. We plan to always have FREE parking for our guests. Also, we just put in a better high speed internet equipment, the same that is in higher end hotels. Please visit us soon again!
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at this property based on last minute availability, price, and location. The property definitely has a motel feel as you drive in and enter the lobby area. I always take price ($140 a night) and star level into consideration when I review hotels (motels in this case). With that being said let’s review the good and the bad.

The Good: The location was on Sunset Blvd and I found it to be a safe area for walking to restaurants, coffee, gym, and the 24 hour grocery store directly across the street. I was pleasantly surprised on the room itself, yeah it wasn't updated like the Hilton but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting from the tacky neon Saharan Hotel sign on Sunset Blvd. The room put you in the mind of a Motel 6 with old furniture but comfortable. The internet was totally free and worked great on both of my devices during my entire stay. Fridge and microwave in the room.

The Bad: I wasn't impressed with how clean the room was, I kept finding hairballs in my room and that was after housekeeping cleaned it. For the record I am bald and proud! The staff was not very friendly and helpful at all when asking questions. I asked very few questions but I got nasty attitude with the answer every time. They actually make a photo copy of your credit card when you check in. This is obviously a big security risk and when I asked the employee about it he stated "oh we want use it for anything else." That's great that every staff member is so honorable and would never steal the thousands of credit cards numbers the hotel has on file (sarcasm). There is a reason credit card imprints went away and the Saharan needs to step into the secure 21st century. The room entrance and windows surround the pool so the noise levels from the pool to include a man (who I think was a staff member because he was cleaning the pool) playing a wooden flute (see attached picture) were totally annoying at 10:00 in the morning. He was also doing some wierd religous chant that made people come out their rooms and stare. I could also hear kids very early in the morning jumping in and out of the pool. I think there are rooms located on the backside of the hotel so you might want to request a room away from the noisy pool. The television remote only worked for the volume but would not change the station, and all the television channels were fuzzy.

Room Tip: Request a room on the quiet side of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Saharan Motor Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We do take each comment seriously. Sometimes if the credit card reader is not working, the card company requires a imprint as proof that the guest was here. I will talk to front desk about better explanation. Also, housekeeping has been notified of your comments. We just changed our furniture for all rooms, and this includes flat panel TV's. New pictures will be up soon. Thank you.

Been to Saharan Motor Hotel? Share your experiences!