“Pretty much perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Samesun Venice Beach

Save Saved
You added Samesun Venice Beach to your Saves list
Samesun Venice Beach
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   25 Windward Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90291 (Venice / Beach Areas)   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“Pretty much perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Location is wonderful. Safe, clean rooms. Got upgraded for free to a better room with large windows looking out on the beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful, we dealt with Abbey (spelling?). My only complaint is that the "free breakfast" they advertised was instant coffee and toast. Didn't spend much time in the common area but we met some very cool travelers from all over the world. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
samesunvenice, General Manager at Samesun Venice Beach, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for the feedback. It's always great to hear that our staff were helpful and friendly! We will definitely take your breakfast comment into consideration to see how it can be improved.

Cheer and Safe Travels.

Sara, General Manager

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I checked in, went out and returned to find all the beds in the room I was assigned occupied. Staff handled it well and gave me a private room (bad mattress, no bathroom) for the night. Showers don't have warm water or anywhere to keep toiletries. Dark rooms, noisy hallways and beds and bad breakfast (toast and butter). They charge $20 for a shuttle bus to the airport - Uber (private car service) costs $18.

Service and cleanliness is good, and of course location, but for the revenue per room it is poor value. Anyone traveling with at least one other would do better to stay at a hotel instead. And they should assign beds instead of rooms to avoid confusion!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

samesunvenice, Front Office Manager at Samesun Venice Beach, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. At this location we do not assign beds, just room numbers as we have had issues with bed assignments in the past, however, we will definitely re-assess the situation again to see if a better system might be available. We recommend a few shuttle companies within the Los Angeles area. Thank you for suggesting Uber: we will follow up with them.

Cheers and Safe Travels!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at this hostel three times already. My first stays were during a California trip in 2012 (three nights in the beginning and 6 nights at the end). I had a great time, the staff was super nice and the other guests were pretty cool.

They usually organize some fun stuff like pub crawls and I can only recommend joining them. The staff also helps you with booking trips (e.g. Hollywood) or shuttle rides to the airport and even down to San Diego!

I made a couple of friends when I went down there. Abby (staff) has been fantastic and made our stay awesome. My friend and I went back this summer to kick off our roadtrip down south and then over to Vegas.

TLDR; great location + great people + amazing staff = lots of fun.

PS: they also have a hostel in Downtown Vancouver, haven't stayed there yet (because I live there) but recommend it to anyone who is visiting me

-axel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
samesunvenice, General Manager at Samesun Venice Beach, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. We love to hear when guests return to LA they stay with us! We are glad you took advantage of the activities offered and that our staff were helpful and friendly. Make sure you stop but the Samesun Vancouver and say hi to the staff! That location also has a bar and restaurant - The Beaver (open to the general public)- with great food, amazing drink deals and an awesome atmosphere, filled with backpackers from all over the world!

Cheers and safe travels.

Sara, General Manager
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Directly at venice beach, which is perfect. but our room had only a small window which was blocked by a wodden fence (?), there´s carpet everywhere, the citchen is extremly small and it costs about the same as the St. Monica youth Hostel- you should compare the pics, they have a lot more common space, a great citchen, etc, . also the tours offered at the front desk of the hostel were really really expensive, mostly around 80$. St. Monica Youth Hostel offered comparable tours for about 10$.

But i´d recommend it nevertheless for some days, because of its great location, many bars in the area, and the nice staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time in Venice and took advantage of the local events offered. Hopefully you participated in some of the nightly activities that we also offer. We do have a variety of room types; some with ocean views, some without. This provides options for all of our guests' budgets.

Cheers and Safe Travels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

It is in an amazing location, just metres from the boardwalk and the beach! But not only that, the rooms are clean, the water is hot, it's safe, and THE STAFF ARE INCREDIBLE! Definetly people I will always stay in touch with! Always greeted with a friendly smile and are always willing to help you.
They have organized activities if you choose to participate, always something to do. Whether you're traveling alone or with friends I would recommend this hostel to anyone! Couldn't have been the same trip to Venice Beach without them !

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Samesun is such a positive memory. Looking forward to seeing you again the next time you find yourself in Venice.

Cheers and Safe Travels.

-Abby, Assistant Manager
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed 3 nights in this Venice Hostel and was impressed.

Firstly, the location is great. The window of my room directly overlooked the venice boardwalk and beach. Note that this means that it was not quiet, over the course of my stay I just about memorised the the script of the Jamaican street performers nearby, so if you're not OK with noise, you don't want to stay this close to the boardwalk. At night it was fine however as everyone pretty much goes home when the sun goes down.

But the reason I'm giving this a 5 star review was for the service I witnessed by the person working reception. I went to organise an airport shuttle with them and there was a person being served by the reception in front of me. He thought he had appendicitis and was informing reception that he was going to take a cab to the hospital, in case he didn't come back that night. The girl behind the counter helped him out without being asked by calling up the hospital and making sure that they would accept a foreigner who did not have domestic health insurance and made sure his travel insurance would work with them so he wouldn't get turned away. Then when she served me she apologised that I had to wait!

I was very impressed by that level of service and it still stays in my mind.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
samesunvenice, General Manager at Samesun Venice Beach, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for such awesome feedback. We understand how scary it can be while traveling overseas and need medical attention. We like to make sure that our guests are well taken care of and feel right at home. We did it then and we will do it again! Safe Travels!

Santiago, Chile
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

You basically pay for the location and nothing else.

The hostal didnt have hot water when we stayed there (they didnt tell us beforehand) so we decided to ask for a refund and leave. At first they didnt want to give us the money back even though the service proposal wasnt being held, luckily the recepcionist had 2d thoughts and decided to make "an exception" and refunded us the 2nd night.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the feedback. We do have hot water in the building, however, we had an emergency with the heating system, which affected the hot water. We attended to the situation as carefully and quickly as possible, but unfortunately the water temperature was temporarily affect. I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope the refund helped.

-Sara, General Manager

Been to Samesun Venice Beach? Share your experiences!