“If you want luxury without sacrificing comfort, bel air is the place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Bel-Air

Save Saved
You added Hotel Bel-Air to your Saves list
Hotel Bel-Air
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Stone Canyon Rd., Los Angeles, CA 90077 (Westside)   |
Special Offer
The Suite Life
Ranked #2 of 318 hotels in Los Angeles
“If you want luxury without sacrificing comfort, bel air is the place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Having worked in the hotel and restaurant industry for years, I'm am not easily impressed by shiny trinkets and well polished staff. Even though the bel air has those things, the level of service and attention to detail is on a world class level.
The food is excellent and as a chef these compliments dosent sit loosely.
Breakfast is unmissable, and the barfood is fantastic.
Did not try the Wolfgang puck restaurant, but having eaten at his restaurant several times I am quite sure the food is as good.
The rooms are amazing and all the staff has a genuine smile and will look after you.

Kim Sjobakk and Clodagh Conroy

• Stayed April 2013
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear KimSjobakk,

It is wonderful reading such a great review from someone as well-traveled as yourself. I am glad we impressed you with our five star service and attention to detail. That is always our goal!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience, we hope to see you again very soon!

306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at this property for thirteen years before the renovation and this was our first visit back to see the changes. I can sum up my thoughts in one word....FABULOUS!

We stayed at The Montage Beverly Hills during the closure of the Bel Air and while I love the location of The Montage, and it is a beautiful hotel, they are apples and oranges as properties go. The Hotel Bel Air is unlike any property in Los Angeles in that it feels more like a home than a hotel. The grounds are stunning, the lobby is charming and cozy and the new rooms are exquisite. There are several styles of rooms, Canyon, Loft, Bel Air Suites, and rooms by the pool. While there I was able to tour all but the Loft rooms. We stayed in a room by the pool and the reason I prefer those is simple. If you intend to use the pool, stay close to the pool in either the Loft rooms, the rooms by the spa or the rooms adjacent to the pool. If you stay in the Canyon rooms, you will walk past the lobby and the open air Wolfgang Puck restaurant in your pool cover up to get to the pool, and that is something I am not comfortable doing. The crowd that is usually at the restaurant is one that as a woman, I do not want to walk past in pool attire. That might just be me, but it is food for thought.

The Canyon Rooms are amazing with jacuzzi's and glass fireplaces on the terrace for those chilly LA nights, and earth tones as their palette. The views from the Canyon Rooms are something you will not get from a pool room or the rooms by the spa. So it is a trade off to be sure. You will have quite a walk to the pool and spa from the Canyon Rooms, but the rooms themselves are part of the new additions to the hotel and they are beautiful.

The rooms near the pool are done in a black and white palette with beautiful marble bathrooms. Some have fireplaces inside and jacuzzi's on the patio, but you will have to ask for those when making a reservation. They cannot guarantee your room, but I have always had my requests honored. Being near the pool is not noisy. The Bel Air pool has an atmosphere of serenity, you will not be disturbed in your room. The beds and bedding at the hotel are so wonderful that you will find it hard to get going in the morning.

The renovation of the restaurant, which is now a Wolfgang Puck restaurant, is perfection! The majority of the restaurant is open air but the inside renovation, with the gorgeous marble fireplace, is not to be missed. We enjoyed dinner inside to take advantage of this, but had lunch outside. The food was wonderful and the wait staff are attentive and charming.

If you have any special requests or if this is a special occasion, I recommend contacting Dawn, the Concierge that we have dealt with for years. She has never let us down and does an amazing job with suggestions for dining in LA and just about anything else you could possibly need. The entire Concierge staff is wonderful, but she has been my "go to Concierge" for as long as I have been staying at the Hotel Bel Air.

Do you need a car if staying at the Bel Air? Yes. It is not within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, etc. But the hotel is perfectly located between Beverly Hills and Santa Monica and is only a 15-20 min ride from the airport depending on traffic.

I highly recommend this hotel and am looking forward to returning soon myself.

Room Tip: Please refer to the tips I gave in the review.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear JBHAtlanta,

Welcome home! It is amazing hearing how much you love Hotel Bel-Air, I wish you could see the smile on my face. I am glad you were able to tour several different room types during your stay. Hotel Bel-Air is very unique in that we have 10 different room designs and the layout is different in every single room! We have 103 different options for our guests, which you won’t find at any other hotel.

I have passed along your kind words to Dawn, she was thrilled she was able to make your stay extra special. Thank you for recommending Hotel Bel-Air, we are happy to welcome you back home! See you soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I love the redecoration of this hotel.We were bumped up to a lovely suite which was very private and quiet.We had a beautiful living room with flat screen TV over the gas fireplace. The bedroom was very large with another flat screen TV.The bathroom was amazing with a built in TV over the bathtub.The toilet was a "smart toilet" that didn't need to be touched by hand.The tile floors were beautiful.We had lovely breakfasts each day in the Terrace which is open air.We had a wonderful dinner in the Lounge with great service.You are always treated special in this hotel.It is a very relaxing place.The one thing they could improve upon is the Hair and Makeup area. It is outsourced and they have a very small space with one sink and very poor lighting.Last year I had hair and makeup done for a premiere and the space was tight.This year I had my hair done and they have not improved the space at all.I would think a hotel of this calibre would have a more luxurious space.The girls who work there do a great job but they don't have a lot to space to work with and have terrible lighting for putting on makeup.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear fancythis72,

I am happy to hear you love what we did with the place! It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your suite, especially all the TVs.

Breakfast on the terrace in Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air was a great choice. When you are in Los Angeles dining alfresco is a must. Your feedback regarding your experience at the Joseph Martin Hair Salon is truly appreciated, I will be sure to pass along your concern to the owner.

We look forward to your return.

Tiburon, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I love the Hotel Bel-Air for the most part and have stayed here three times in the last four months.. However, certain aspects of the service were spotty on my last visit. We stayed in a Canyon suite room, which was lovely. However, room service for breakfast was quite slow on Sunday and our meal came 10 minutes after the promised latest delivery time, which caused me to be late for an event in Santa MonicA. Then a cab, which was supposed to be ordered for 9:20 by the room service attendant, got translated into 9:40 (I should have called myself). It also took quite awhile to get someone to remove the plates from our room after lunch on our terrace.Then that evening we never received turn down service until after we got back to our room at 9pm (after I called to complain). This was definitely not what I expect for a hotel in this class.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear ankiandlarry,

I am extremely disappointed to hear about the service issues you experienced throughout your stay, especially considering you have stayed with us three times this year. This certainly does not reflect the five star service our staff prides themselves on. Please be assured I have followed up with the team and we are working on additional training.

I hope your recent experience will not deter you from considering Hotel Bel-Air on a fourth visit and I would be most grateful for any opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel. Please contact me directly to book your next stay and I will personally supervise your booking arrangements and ensure extra special attention is given to you.

san francisco, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I must admit I am partial to this hotel as I was married here years ago.
Just spent my birthday here on March 7 and had a great time! My husband and I travel all over the world and I can say that this hotel is truly special.
I LOVE the redecoration of the hotel as I am sure it was time for the chintz I remember from my wedding day to go away.
We just booked another stay for this June, this time to celebrate my parents 60th anniversary, we are all looking forward to it.
Carol LeValley

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear sfbaker,

It was truly a pleasure welcoming you and your husband back to Hotel Bel-Air. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the redesign and your overall experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you and your parents back in June. See you soon!

Farmington Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

If you live high, there is only one place to go in the LA area. Beverly HIlls Hotel Bel-Air. Truly this Hotel loves it clients and treats them such. I travel all over the world. This is one of the best best anywhere. From the location to the staff to the rooms. Yes there are celebrites there, but the Hotel always treats it quest as though the are all celebrites. The privacy here is also a very wonderful part of the experience. Wonderful Restaurant also. No need to leave the Hotel while you are in the LA area. Richard Rollins.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Richard Rollins,

It is wonderful to be considered one of the best hotels in the world from a well-traveled guest such as yourself. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for recommending Hotel Bel-Air. We look forward to your return.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was a plush, classy, ritzy place. Celebrities and people with money definitely stay here as a matter of fact I spotted a couple,,,anyway,,,,its a great place to hide away surrounded with the high hills and greenery. They have individual bungalow looking accomodations which I enjoyed one which has their own private patio, with an office that is enclosed with glass windows where you can see the walkway. The bathroom was granite filled shower and sink and the surrounding bathtub. The bed was so huge and plushy you felt like you wanted to sink in it and not get up. There was a flat screen on the wall in the bedroom as well as the bathroom above the huge tub. There were guest robes and house slippers and fruit and chocolates to snack on beside the refrigerator stocked with eat and pay snacks. They do offer Sun. Brunch

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Tacmyster,

I am happy you enjoyed your recent visit to Hotel Bel-Air. With the majority of our rooms located on the ground level in a residential neighborhood, like a private home, the hotel is truly residential and one of a kind. It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your room and overall experience at Hotel Bel-Air.

We hope to see you again!

Denise Flanders

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!