“A true 5 star experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
The Suite Life
Ranked #2 of 318 hotels in Los Angeles
Toronto, Canada
“A true 5 star experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Hotel Be-Air is my choice from now on when in LA.
Absolutely superb! We had amazing service from the beginning to the end. This is what I call service! There has been some top notch training involved for sure!

The ambiance of this place is incredible - situated in the middle of beautiful forest trees, you don't even feel you are in the middle of a cosmopolitan city!

The restaurant is by Wolfgang Puck, whom we met, and really great!
The bar is great also.
The SPA is fantastic, small but offers great treatments!

For it being such a great place, the price is reasonable compared to other hotels. It's close to Rodeo Dr., Sunset, and Santa Monica is 10 minutes away on the hwy. Really central!

Spectacular and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear live4thebeach072,

I am happy to hear Hotel Bel-Air is your first choice when staying in Los Angeles! It is great to hear our five star staff made a difference in your stay.

Chef Wolfgang is an amazing individual and spends a lot of time at Hotel Bel-Air, I am glad you were able to meet him. The location of Hotel Bel-Air is something that really sets us apart, being only up the street from Sunset Boulevard and Beverly Hills, when you arrive to the hotel you feel a world away. It is a true escape in the heart of Los Angeles.

See you soon!

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

As mentionned in the two previous review, the hotel is lovely and the reno take it to a degree if comfort and style that is really great.
The in room fireplace where just perfect for the chilly winter evenings, and the patio quiet and sunny for a afternoon rest. The property is great and well groomed. A feel at home is all over the place. The only bemol to our stay was the slow and irregular service. For example one day they will bring new fresh fruits, the other not, one day they would replace the bar wine and water glasses, one day they would forget to bring new ones, so need to call the room service... That could have been a perfect stay but just because of this minor errors it blemishes a bit. Too bad... Because the staff is nice and not pretentious. For sure be back again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Jennyitsme,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I am disappointed to hear the service provided to you was less than perfect, this certainly does not reflect the standards at Hotel Bel-Air. We are truly grateful for your feedback as it is by such constructive feedback that we are able to improve the service we offer our guests.

I am glad you will be back again, hopefully we will see you soon!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Agree with the last poster...the renovations are excellent - one of the most comfortable beds and really classy and tasteful decor. In fact, you cant fault the physical offering in any way - its a timeless classic, like its sister the Beverley Hills, but a little less funky and slightly more refined and sedate. I loved it. BUT exactly as others have said, it seems to lack the oversight of an experienced and 'adult' management. All the preppy dressed staff that roam the hotel are very nice and helpful, but there is a fair amount of 'chat' between them (I spent half an hour in the lobby lounge listening to the Concierge complain about previous guests to a gaggle of front desk staff). You would never find this at the Dorchester or other hotels in the group. Its a little like they are using the Bel Air as a training hotel to break-in new staff, as not one of them seemed older than 21. I wanted to move room after being woken really early by a family in the room above mine (a personal bug bear) and this took a little more time and effort than I would have liked. I also had my boarding card faxed twice to the reception as they said they couldn't find it and then promised to run the second copy to the room, which they didn't. When I checked out, they had both copies sitting at the front desk. I know...really minor...but if you are trying to be the best hotel in LA, and part of a really exceptional hotel group, with an amazing hotel on offer...then you have to get this right. Its only a very mild bit of adult supervision required...and I will definitely be heading back....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear milesw,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am pleased to hear you loved your stay with us! Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay, I sincerely apologize that your experience was less than perfect in regards to the service provided to you. This certainly does not reflect the standards in which we pride ourselves on here at Hotel Bel-Air. Please be aware that I have discussed your comments with the appropriate heads of department to avoid situations such as these from arising in the future.

I am glad to hear you will be back to visit us, hopefully it will be soon!

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our first time at the hotel bel air after the much anticipated 5 year re fit program. The hotel looks fantastic and the room amenities and decor is first rate. The hotel location is a little off the the track but didn't worry us too much as you must have a car in LA regardless. I probably mark this property down a little due to F&B service being not on top of the game. It's the old lack of training and visible management. The restaurant is a Wolfgang Puck and the good is good. The service is biggest let down in this property and its not to the standard of its sister property the Beverly Hills hotel or the peninsula. It's ok but needs more active management to better suit the reputation and expensive re fit.

Eg one can stare at a finished plate of food at the table with fork and knife indicating the diner has finished for upto 20min.

Overall a lovely property with in need of more active management

7/10 on my rating overall

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Mrockman,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and loved the redesign. We value and appreciate your feedback and apologize that your experience was less than perfect in regards to the service provided to you. This certainly does not reflect the standards in which we pride ourselves on here at Hotel Bel-Air.

Please be assured that we appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to our property soon.

Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed for a week in January 2013 in Hotel Bel-Air, and I think that for sure this is the perfect choice combining luxury, perfect service in one of the most quiet locations in LA. After 100 million USD investments and full refurbishment, the hotel is living up to the hype.

LOCATION AND OVERVIEW
In my opinion Bel-Air have absolutely perfect location. In the middle of the most expensive zone in Los Angeles. The resort does not resemble the typical hotel, it looks like the very expensive rich person estate. Everything is ultra quiet and private. Like Bel-Air is the upscale area than Beverly Hills, the same feeling we had for Bel-Air hotel than some other Beverly Hills hotels. In the evening the hotel is discretely lid and also a lot of heating lamps (LA winter is like 15-23 degrees Celsius)

The lobby of Bel-Air hotel is so small , private, looks like a living room in a nice and ultra expensive house (estate), no wonder that this is preferred place for meetings for many celebrities and important local business people.

We did not use the famous Hotel Bel-Air signature oval-shaped pool as it was a bit cold outside (however the pool is heated and you can use it if you wish). The pool is playground for many famous people in the spring and summer, I think celebrities will like the ultra privacy there.
The Gardens and the Swan pond are superb, all is top notch !

GUEST ROOM
We stayed in standard king bedroom with fireplace and we were more than happy with our choice. The room is large enough with all the facilities you need. The Internet in the room is $15 per 24 hours and is very fast. We had been given complimentary champagne and chocolate strawberries and a nice complimentary coffee machine. And you have in the room your own I-Pad 3 with all the controls and services you can order directly from that IPad. All the room controls are very hi-tech, you can command from the touch screen of your telephone everything from Air-conditioning to lights,
The rooms of course are cleaned twice per day (you can even pre-set with your IPad the exact time you want the room to be serviced for daily cleaning and turn down service. The Bang & Olufsen HD TV is nice and also the real fireplace we used every evening was very nice.
The Bathrooms had heated floors so that is also very nice. All in all exceptional quality including the ultra comfortable bed. As the hotel is ultra quiet ad private, you can imagine that the sleep quality was brilliant.

HOTEL SERVICES
The hotel services were fantastic. From the bell-boys to valet parking to housekeeping everything was fast and efficient. We were joking with my wife that if you need something delivered in your room, it always takes less than a minute the stuff to be delivered. So the services are really, really good. The valet parking is $38 per day, and in LA you are dead without a car, so our valet bill was not cheap for a week. We did not have time to visit either the Spa or the Fitness studio so I cannot comment on these two.

FOOD
The food in hotel is provided by the celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck and is great. We had a chance of personally meeting Mr. Puck. And he is always very friendly with his guests. We had also a nice Sunday brunch (I loved the Maryland Blue Crab Cakes) in the restaurant before heading to the Lakers game in Staples Center. The breakfast also is fantastic, my wife favorite was the healthy Egg White Frittata, I liked their "H.B.A. Eggs Benedict", but the “Blueberry-Buttermilk Pancakes” were OUT OF THIS WORLD – simply the best pancakes of my life. Wow!

THE ONLY PROBLEM
The only problem we have in the hotel was connected with our reservation, which we made via Booking.com. I use often booking.com and this is brilliant site for hotel reservations worldwide and I never have any problem booking via them. However I believe this is a problem for the Dorchester group, somehow my reservation although confirmed by Bel-Air hotel was also doubled or made by mistake with their sister Dorchester Property in LA – the Beverly Hills hotel. Since my reservation was with one prepaid first night at the time of my reservation (the reservation was initially made in September 2012) one night deposit was charged on my card from Beverly Hills hotel and not from Hotel Bel-Air. As I knew that the 2 hotels are part of same group I did not find that strange at all.
The problem is that when I checked in HBA on the 4th January – later I found that the Beverly hills’ hotel also charged my card for “no show”. When I checked out of Bel-Air – I saw that the one night deposit I paid in September 2012 was not stated in my bill (so I was paying it the first night again).
I had a conversation at check-out time with Executive Office Manager, I explained the situation and gave a copy of my card statement from September 2012. The problem was that the money were taken away by their sister hotel and how that happen was beyond me. Currently I’m are in touch with both Bel-Air hotel Executive Office Manager and the accounting department of The Beverly Hills hotel and the customer service team of booking.com (the customer service from booking.com is always great) in order to solve that issue.
The hotel is way too good to allow such a stupid mistakes to ruin his perfect reputation

OVERALL
I would highly recommend this hotel! I think is better also then the Beverly Hills hotel of the same group and the location in Bel-Air was perfect for us. Relatively close to all the action and good restaurants in Beverly Hills (we went to Spago, CUT, BOA Steakhouse, Mastro’s Steakhouse, BLT Steak and so on… but with ultra quiet and relaxing location with the feel that you are in remote island and not in one of the biggest cities in the world. I could not give this brilliant hotel less than 5 stars even with the mistake connected with the wrong reservation charge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear ivo_k,

Thank you for providing a detailed and thorough review on your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us from the room, to the service, to the food, to the overall atmosphere.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the unfortunate confusion with your billing. I can assure you our team will make sure everything is worked out, and you will be satisfied with the resolution.

Please come back and visit us again!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a quiet, very private hotel, tucked away in the canyons of Bel-Air. You don't come here to go shopping! It ain't cheap, but the rooms are beautifully furnished, and we love the man who comes to light the fire in our room each evening! Not a huge room, but a great bathroom, outdoor courtyard, peace & quiet. The restaurant - fabulous. The bar - probably needs an area with adequate light for a little reading. And while we're there, just have a think about the bar snacks offered with a cup of tea - are crisps, olives and nuts really appropriate with a lovely cup of Earl Grey? How about a cookie, or a piece of cake? Small detail, but so important when most else is so right.

Dear n_hogie,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for providing feedback on our bar snacks, as it is by means of such constructive feedback that we are able to improve the standards of service we offer our guests.

We hope to see you back at Hotel Bel-Air in the near future.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently stayed here with my wife for a weekend getaway trip. The grounds are truely amazing. It feels like a retreat where you are made to feel at home. Everyone was courteous and very respectful. My wife and I truely enjoyed our stay though there were some areas that I felt needed improvement which prevented me from giving this place the full 5 stars. The area that bothered me the most was the conceirge. I expect to have requests met especially if I am staying a 5 star property especially for dinner reservations which was not the case here. I had requested a certain time at a restaurant to be made however that request was not accomodated. I called the restaurant personally minutes after ending my call with the concerge and was able to secure the reservation time I requested which made me wonder if they did attempt to secure the reservation. I don't find it unreasonable to have access to restaurants/events that are in demand especially when staying at a top tier hotel. The reason I stay at top tier places is to have my requests accomodated especially with the clientele that is catered to at a top tier facility such as the Hotel Bel-Air. I have had better experiences in that aspect at other top tier hotels. Other than the concierge, I truely enjoyed the service at the hotel. The rooms were spacious and I really enjoyed all the technology amenities in the room. Access to everything in the hotel was literally in your fingertips! The Ipad in each room allows you to order everything from room- service to turn down service! Everyone attempted to address me by name and if we were walking towards any staff members they would stop and greeet us and allow us to pass before continuing on. I would stay at this property again but I do hope that there are improvements made on the concierge side. PS My wife and I enjoyed the scenery at the lakes with the live swans! :)

Dear ViraniMD,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled you had a wonderful stay and you enjoyed our beautiful oasis.

We value and appreciate your feedback regarding our concierge team and apologize that your experience was less than perfect in regards to the service provided to you. This certainly does not reflect the standards in which we pride ourselves on here at Hotel Bel-Air. Please accept my sincere apologies.

It is great to hear you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air.

Denise Flanders

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!