“Improved as the night went on” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
The Suite Life
Ranked #2 of 318 hotels in Los Angeles
Paradise Valley, Arizona
“Improved as the night went on”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We flew over for an appointment at Cedar's and decided to spend the night instead of flying back to Scottsdale so booked one evening. I had booked the Canyon Suite and requested a quiet room. I was a little concerned when we were shown to our room and it was across from the elevator but was assured that it was quiet. The decor of the room is wonderful. There was a small, heated plunge pool with a rather large porch that unfortunately looks at nothing but a neighboring property with a pile of dirt. Shortly thereafter, we heard people coming off of the elevator and the dings from the elevator door. I walked out on the patio and was greeted by three people peering over our rather short wall looking at me on the porch. I decided that the porch was rather useless as a plunge pool as there was no privacy and that I would have to draw the curtains as well. I called the front desk to request another room and was placed on hold for about 3 minutes. It then began to ring again and the concierge picked up. I explained the problem and she told me that someone would call me back. Thirty minutes later, after no returned call (it was around 530pm or so) I called back and was told that my message was never relayed to anyone. I explained the situation and was told that the property was fully booked but that they would see what they could do. Twenty minutes later, I was told that there was a lovely room above the Presidential Suite that was very quiet but did not have a plunge pool. I asked if it still had the fireplace like the room that we were in now and was told that it did. We had to wait for it to be cleaned and about 30 minutes later were taken to this room. It was decorated nicely but was smaller than the room that we had with a very small porch and NO fireplace. At this point, I was frustrated and was thinking that we should have just gone home. I called the front desk again and relayed my frustration in the room being misrepresented to me. I was told that there was another room that had become available and that they would check to see how clean it was since the people had moved out of it. Ironically, it was another Canyon Suite which is what we had originally booked. Apparently, these were return guests who did not like the new design of the room and wanted to original style that they were accustomed to. My husband was really tired of moving, we had both had a long day and had agreed that we would just stay in the room that we had when the front desk called back. Nathanial (the assistant front-desk manager) called me back and assured me that they had a room that we would love and apologized for all of the inconveniences. He personally came and escorted us to our new room which was absolutely beautiful. He had already turned on the fireplace and the suite was exquisite. He also issued us a monetary credit which we used for room service that evening since we were exhausted.
All of the rooms were very well appointed with very modern features including an in-room Ipad for any of your hotel needs as well as to surf the web if you desire. The gentleman who brought our room service was top-notch! In fact, everyone that we encountered at the hotel aside from the initial experience was absolutely wonderful.
The property is a gem.... I do feel that the hotel is in a little bit of an identity crisis at the moment. The hotel was recommended to me by friends who have gone there many times in the past but have not visited since the renovations. There is no longer an "old-school" feel to this as they described to me... it feels much more hipster.
The amazing suite certainly saved the evening for our stay but I do question why I was told that it was a full property and yet I was offered numerous other rooms.....

Room Tip: Apparently the older rooms have more room on the inside and smaller porches and the new canyon suite...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear shannpann,

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am extremely concerned to hear of the difficulties you encountered during your visit. I would like to assure you that we have been busy addressing and resolving the concerns raised during your stay and I am confident that you will find Hotel Bel-Air has returned to its usual standards when you next visit us.

I hope your recent stay will not deter you from considering Hotel Bel-Air in the future and I would be most grateful for any opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel. I will personally supervise your reservation and will ensure extra special recognition is given to you.

Once again, please accept my apologies and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air.

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
lovetotravel1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Was a guest there for 4 nights last month. The Hotel has been renovated and is absolutely perfect. They kept the traditional feel but the upgrades have brought the property to the next level. The iconic bar remains and the restaurant was very good. All in all I can't think of a missed opportunity to delight us that was not offered or delivered. The staff was helpful expecially the concierge who went above and beyond with a smile. The spa was supeb as well and I can heartily recommend the couples masage.

Bravo Bel-Air...
Bravo

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear lovetotravel1_10,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am glad you think the new design is absolutely perfect, we agree! It is great to know the service our staff provided you with exceeded your expectations.

The couples massage is a great recommendation, the enclave is truly a spectacular setting! We hope to see you back at Hotel Bel-Air in the near future.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Nothing better- this is a paradise full of green paths and bubbly fountains. A little pricey but we loved the renovations! Rooms have a flawless decor, staff will go above and beyond for anything you can dream of wanting. They even had toys and a bed for our poodle. Book this hotel!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear TravScott,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am pleased to hear you loved the redesign as much as we do! Thank you for recommending Hotel Bel-Air and we hope to see you again very soon!

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our first trip since the remodel of the greatest hotel in the country. We had apprehension but found our fears to be wisked away by a beautiful junior suite next to the iconic pool. Our Welsh Corgi was treated like a queen...homemade bisquits every day and a staff of dog friendly people.
The human side was superb. The newly redone bar/lounge was comfortable with a fabulous pianist and signature cocktails and appetissers that were second to none.
The swan lakae and grounds were as magnificant asw ever and our terrace lunch in a private alacove was as fine as any meal ever. Worth the expenser

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear jacob10,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am happy to hear you loved the new design and enjoyed your stay with us. We think dogs deserve to be treated like royalty at Hotel Bel-Air!

It was great to have you back, we hope it’s not long before we see you and the pup again!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

First review of the property explains a messed up tea reservation that never happened. This time we awaited the hotel reopening to book tea AND a stay. Disappointed on several levels: 1. tea is only offered as a full service on Saturdays. Seriously? 2. luggage took over 30minutes to arrive. 3. Both IT and Engineering departments were in our room in the first 30 minutes as the new hi-tech aircon/heating control by the phone did not work. 4. After 2 hours of them being unable to fix the problem, the hotel decided to move us to #475, but THAT move took over 30 minutes wait, which means our one-night stay involved a LOT of waiting for hotel to rectify things that should have been correct from the start. 5. In our new room, we rang for Housekeeping to light our wood-burning fireplace, but after 30 minutes and nobody had arrived, we canceled the request for assistance and retired to bed. Having just come from lunch at Spago in Beverly Hills, we were a bit dismayed to learn that ALL dining outlets of the hotel feature Wolfgang Puck's food with no claim to fame of a chef of their own, not even a signature "Hotel Bel-Air salad," for instance. We love Wolf's work, but why couldn't just a small part of the hotel serve F&B that is more signature than a chef that appears in take-away at airports all over the USA? LOVED the rainshower but it hardly validated the costly stay for lagging, dysfunctional service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear globaltravelkid,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am most grateful to you for taking the time to outline the shortcomings in your experience, as it is by means of such constructive feedback that we are able to improve the standards of service we offer our guests here at Hotel Bel-Air. I did want to let you know Afternoon Tea is offered on Friday and Saturday at Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air, I do apologize if you were not made aware of this.

With regards to Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air, we do have many signature Hotel Bel-Air dishes on the menu including our signature Tortilla Soup, the Bel-Air Club Sandwich and “HBA” Eggs Benedict. You will also find dishes on the menu that have been on the menu at Hotel Bel-Air for many years, such as the Nancy Reagan Salad.

Once again, please accept my apologies and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air in the hopefully not too distant future.

san francisco,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Oh, what a wonderful hotel the Bel Air is. Service could not be better. My one complaint: Gorgeous Hollywood Regency Suite #361's proximity to the restaurant can get noisy. Directly across from Suite 361 is The Palm Room, which is used for private functions, this was very disturbing; every time someone entered or exited, the door would slammed and it would resonate in the suite. One could also hear footsteps as people walked by at all hours, in front of the suite.
Really unfortunate because all these disturbances could easily be addressed. The hallway in front should be carpeted, and I'm sure something could be done so that the door to the Palm Room would close quietly.
Otherwise, our stay would have been perfect!!
I'm giving it an 'Excellent' because the staff was magnificent!!!

Room Tip: beware of room #361, gorgeous as it is, it is noisy!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear louisethethird,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you think Hotel Bel-Air is such a wonderful hotel, we couldn’t agree more! I do apologize for the noise you experienced during your stay, we have updated your profile so next time you stay with us you will be placed in a quieter location. I also wanted to thank you for your feedback regarding the Palm Room. Because of your comments, we fixed the door immediately so it now closes quietly.

We hope to see you again very soon!

new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've never seen this hotel before so i can't compare it to the old version and I have been quite a fan of the Beverly Hills Hotel. I was very happy with this property and it would be a hard choice between the two Dorchester properties on my next visit to LA. The arrival gardens makes a great first impression (although I never did see the swans). The premiere canyon suite 269 was gorgeous (i was upgraded thru Andrew Harper)-- i really liked the decorating and the airy feel of the place. I didn't have any issues with the electronics in the rooms and I'm pretty dumb in that area. The terrace with the pool and the view was excellent. The bathroom was large and functional; the bedroom and living room and closets were all primo and I liked the Swiss-based amenities in the bath. The Wolfgang Puck restaurant for dinner and breakfast were both excellent; i really liked the menu, the food quality and service. The spa was fine and the treatment good. The grounds are all lovely on the landscaping and the color and ambiance of the place is very pleasant as you stroll about the property. The only disappointment I felt was in the gym; there are a few free weights and some cardio but not more -- I was expecting a hotel of this sort to have a really good gym and I can't understand why they skipped over this.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear vanciment,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in the Premier Canyon Suite. It is also great to hear how much you enjoyed Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air and the Spa by La Prairie. I am sorry to hear the gym did not live up to your expectations.

Thank you for staying at Hotel Bel-Air, we look forward to your return!

Denise Flanders

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!