“Very solid, couple of issues...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90015 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 Nightly Credit
Ranked #22 of 323 hotels in Los Angeles
Detroit, Michigan
“Very solid, couple of issues...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

OK, I’m posting this review onto both hotels because the stay was so intertwined.

Here’s why: I had booked into the JWMarriott for one night. They were overbooked, and walked me to the Ritz Carlton. So, I had a Ritz Carlton room, but was given access to the JW Concierge Lounge (NOT the Ritz Club Lounge) and ate dinner at the JWM. The hotels are in the same building, and linked by a circuitous hallway on the lobby and second floors.

So:

JWMarriott Front Desk/Ritz Carlton Front Desk
I was greeted with smiles and helpful staff. The young lady punched at her computer, made a call, and then asked me to follow her. (Note: no explanation given at this point…) We went through a series of hallways, and were in the Ritz’ very small lobby. She handed me over to the Front Desk Agent there, and excused herself.

The FD agent at the Ritz proceeded to check me in. I asked her what had happened, and she explained that the JWM was overbooked, so they were ‘upgrading’ me to the Ritz.

Note to Front Desk Manager at JWM: be sure you tell your guests exactly what you are doing with them… this was not done here. If you’re overbooked, just say so… I’m a big boy, I can handle the bad news. Plus, telling me you’re walking me to a Ritz is not exactly a bad thing… try this: “Mr Gardiner, I’m afraid we’re overcommitted this evening, but the good news is that we’ll be moving you to a room at the Ritz Carlton!”

Ritz-Carlton Room
I was given a King bed room on the 25th floor (which requires a change of elevators on 22).

The room was gracious in size… there is a large bathroom, with a large glassed in toilet, and an even larger glassed in soaking tub and shower. I laughed at the shower… a prior post had mentioned that you had to deal with the cold water just to turn the shower on… they were absolutely right! Two sinks. (frankly, I’m not familiar with Ritz amenities, but Mrs. Gardiner liked the stuff I brought home.)

The bedroom area was large, with a long built-in sofa against the window wall, and floor to ceiling windows. Nice King bed, which was very, very sleepable.

There was a smallish desk, in a safari style… but with NO electricity anywhere nearby. How do you have a hotel that’s less than two years old so badly designed for working in your room? My laptop cord had to hang mid-air from a hidden point by the window back to the safari table. My cell phones had to make use of the coffee pot plug for charging.

Truly, I crawled on my hands and knees looking for convenient plugs, and they just weren’t there. If you travel for business and need electricity to recharge various devices, I can’t recommend the Ritz for simplicity.

If Mrs. Gardiner were to be here with hair dryer, curling iron, and curlers, this would be a complete fail.

The other fittings at the Ritz were nice. Even the phones in the elevator lobbies were Bang &Olufsen… great attention to detail on that front.

JWMarriott Concierge Lounge Access
I’m a Marriott Platinum level (that’s 75+ nights/year), so I get Concierge Lounge access at Marriott’s which have lounges. Nice perk, and I don’t usually complain.

So, I asked at the Ritz Front Desk about my Concierge Lounge access. Apparently, since I was walked from the JWM, I had to go their Concierge Lounge, NOT the Ritz Lounge. To be very clear, this meant taking an elevator from the 25th floor to the 22nd floor, changing elevators, then another elevator from 22 to 2. Then, a walk around the corner to the Marriott’s elevators, then up to the 4th floor over there. That’s annoying.

Then, I asked at the Ritz desk about my Platinum amenity, and was told that the “upgrade” to the Ritz was considered my amenity.

Frankly, no. It’s not. I didn’t book or ask for the Ritz. I was there because the JWM screwed up and overbooked.

I told the young lady so, and explained that I bring my Platinum wine splits home for Mrs. Gardiner. She stepped away and brought back a small Ritz bag with a water bottle. Nice, but my presence in your hotel was because of a screw-up at the JWM. I’d have rather been at the JWM and had my amenity than the Ritz “upgrade”.

(Note: This is where you call me a spoiled hotel brat… and you could be right. “Chauncey,” you say, “you got “walked” from a JW to a Ritz? And you’re unhappy???” When you’re clocking 125+ hotel nights a year, the little things become magnified, become important… they become issues. Knock out 125 nights away from your family and let me know how that works out.)

JWMarriott Concierge Lounge
I headed over here around 5:30p, and they were still setting up for the evening. I was impressed by the wine selections. They had 5 different white wines, plus a Moet & Chandon sparkler… The wines were fully high end: Sonoma Cutrer R3 , Villa Maria Reserve NZ Sauv Blanc, etc. The reds were of equal stature… Very impressive selections. Other Marriotts and Delta SkyClubs could learn something here!

The lounge, when I was here, had a choice of grilled chicken skewers with a teriyaki glaze, or vegetable quesadilla rollups. Foods and sauces were replenished regularly.

In the morning, they had a very nice hot breakfast available, and served Illy coffee. Excellent!

LA Market Restaurant
I had dinner at LA Market in the JWM lobby, and was delighted to find a flatiron steak on the menu. It was blinking outstanding, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although not on the menu, I asked if they had mushrooms, and the answer was a crisp “no problem, sir”

The food menu was in print, and the wine menu was on an iPad, with very user friendly tabs for choosing wines. Excellent use of tech. Why, though, wasn’t the whole menu (food and wine) on the iPad?

I have to call out Chef Linton, who came by to chat with me after I asked about the flatiron steak. We had a nice chat about the cut, and how they get such a thick piece of flatiron. He was knowledgeable and friendly, and was a great example of why I like Marriotts.

Overall
So, how do I rate this dual property visit?
>Marriott Check-in – 3 stars only for not being frank with me.
>Ritz Check in – 3 stars for not having access to the Ritz Club lounge and making me walk all over the place and take 3 different elevators for a cup of coffee. AND for telling me that my being “walked” was an upgrade and I’d get no Platinum amenity.
>Ritz Room – 4 stars… would have been five if you’d had electricity near the desk!
>Marriott Concierge Lounge – 5 stars… Nicely kitted out, great wines.
>LA Market Restaurant – 5 stars… LOVE IT when a food-passionate chef comes out to discuss your meal. Excellent!

Regrettably, here’s Marriott’s West Coast flagship property, and I’m giving them four stars. Your hardware was excellent, as I’d expect. How I was handled on this visit was what I’d expect from a Courtyard. Relook your practices around “walking” guests, and you’ll have 5 stars on my next stay.

Note: As always, I never post negative comments about a property without speaking with a Manager on Duty. I did do that before I checked out, and explained all of the above to him. He apologized, and agreed that the massive trek to the JWM Lounge was odd, and promised to look into that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

1,073 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the JW Marriott at LA Live for the Sweet 16 a couple weeks ago. It was a gorgeous hotel and from the minute we arrived we felt like royalty everyone was extremely helpful and nice. We enjoyed the area very much there was always something to do and we didn't have to walk very far. The breakfast buffet was excellent. We had a great time all around!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at JW Marriott when attending the NCAA Men's Basketball Western Regionals. Was SO convenient to walk out the back of the lobby, across the courtyard directly into Staples !! The room was spacious, bed was comfortable, the fitness center had many nice amenities, the concierge/front desk/valet staff were all top notch. Very helpful, courteous and efficient. Many restaurants in walking distance as well as a Starbucks right outside hotel. Will definitely stay here every time I attend something at Staples. Not having to deal with crowded parking garage traffic before/after event as well as not having to drive 2+ hours home after is worth every penny at the JW.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
N. California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Rooms had recently updated furnishings and was very nice. Easy walking distance to Staples Center and LA convention center. Many good restaurants and bars nearby, though neighborhood was generally sketchy outside immediate hotel area and I would not recommend walking around by yourself after dark (eg there was dealer offering his products to us on sidewalk between hotel and Trader Vic's 1 block away -- nice).

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. Overall the room is excellent - very spacious and has all the amenities
Reception very efficient for check-in and check-out

a few negatives
1. hairdryer on a very short cord so you cannot style your hair at all - must be a safety requirement but totally impractical
2. the in room coffee machine cannot be used to make a good cup of tea - they need to provide a kettle. Also for a hotel of this standard to provide paper cups for your tea / coffee is unacceptable

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Enjoyed 3 days and 2 nights at this hotel. The property is situated near good restaurants and if you are a basketball fan you would love all the bball fan fare. The staff was nice and the accommodations were good for the price.

Room Tip: I requested the handicapped room at had a magnificent room on the 18th floor.The ice and beverage ma...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just returned from three nights at this hotel. Superb in every aspect. Service was at a level one would expect from a Ritz-Carlton (next door and connected). I guess the merger paid off. The room was very modern and spotless. In-room refrigerator in the desk/drawers. Big closet with additional drawers and in-room safe. Loved the bathroom - big shower (no tub) and well appointed with plenty of room to lay out all my "stuff." The Executive lounge was very nice and very busy but the staff was well up to the task of cleaning plates and making space for the next wave of breakfast eaters. The location, as noted, is great for the Staples Center and the Convention Center. It is also a fairly easy drive from LAX. And only three and a half miles from Dodger Stadium (up hill). The only negative is not really a negative, just a fact - this is one big hotel and the walk to the end of the Gold Ballroom in the conference center will take you five minutes. One other plus, the hotel is connected to the Ritz-Carlton by a small hallway on the first floor. Take a short walk to the Ritz elevator to the 24th floor for one of the best bars in the city.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Olympic will hear construction noises until the new hotel across the street is finished...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE? Share your experiences!