“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel

You added Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel to your Saves list
Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   640 South Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90014 (Downtown)   |
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We checked in around about 3pm, and all of the staff we saw were helpful and friendly. We got to the room - it's basic but that's all we needed as we weren't planning on spending that much time in the room. Big bed, tv and we paid extra and got our own bathroom with shower (though we could have used the ones down the hall). Food every morning was tasty and filling - thought waffles got a bit boring towards the end of our 10day stay. It's in a great location - right in the middle of downtown with lots of shops and food/resteraunts nearby. The rooms got hot but thankfully we have air con and a fan too so we kept nice and cool. There was plenty to do in the hotel like ping pong, movies and the iMACs in the lobby. It's a great budget hotel that i would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Bring bigger towels as theirs do tend to be on the smaller side
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Manuel Tomas

It's my first time here at this hotel. It is not quite what I expected. It was very different from the other hotels i stayed at. It is quite the experience for me and my friend in terms of the shared toilet and shower. It reminded me of my camping trips were toilet and showers are shared. Overall, my experience is mixed hence with the average rating. It was a good experience but not great.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Grasmere
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

When we checked in, it was late (9p.m.), the receptionist asked for details, payment, security deposit etc. when either of our cards worked we were asked (rather rudely/impolitely) if we had another card or a 3rd party that could pay the security deposit. I must stress it isn't the procedure that we are annoyed at, but rather the manner in the way the guy on reception went about it. Other staff seemed rather uninterested in guests happiness too.

Apart from those particular incidents, the hotel is in a good location (3/4 blocks from the metro station) and the room which we stayed in was clean before we set foot in and when we came back from a day out in LA.

Room for improvement in the customer service side of things, but a good hotel if you're looking for somewhere cheap to stay while in LA.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I was staying in LA on my own and wanted a cheap but comfortable place to stay. Unfortunately this place has some very basic things wrong with it which the hostel needs to address. I stayed in a shared female dorm of six bunk beds. First of all there is no locker to store your luggage in the room, so you either need to have brought your own case lock (they do not provide these) or leave it in a locked room next to reception. This was very inconvenient so after the first night I just left my suitcase in my room and hoped the other girls/cleaners didn't take anything when I was out. The other problem is that although there are lots of toilets, shower rooms and at least one shower/toilet hybrid on the floor there are no mirrors or soap/sinks so you need to go back to your room to wash your hands! This is unhygienic and I can imagine some people not doing it because of the hassle. The windows are also not well insulated so you definitely need earplugs to get a good night's sleep. One last complaint - my room key never worked. I had to keep getting it changed because in the shared dorm when one person checks out, all the keys are cancelled. This happened four times in two days. I eventually decided to opt for a room of my own for $23 extra a night so I could have a working key and not risk anything happening to my possessions. Good things about the place: there is a TV room on the 6th floor, the reception and mezzanine look stunning (but bely the basic functionality of the actual dorm and bathrooms), the breakfast was basic but you could have oatmeal, cold cereal or fresh waffles, and tea, coffee or orange juice and this was free. There are free computers to use on the ground floor and activities as well, such as ping pong and another big TV screen. Fresh towels were also provided in the rooms under the sink and you could get more for free at reception. I found the staff helpful and can only say they are limited by what the hostels policies are. I wouldn't stay here again unless the issues around security, hygiene and practicality are addressed which other hostels in LA (such as USA Hostels Hollywood) which charge less, already do.

Room Tip: Get your own room if you are a light sleeper, and take ear plugs with you!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Stayed on the fourth floor with shared bathrooms. It had the basics so don't expect much. No ghosts were seen unfortunately, maybe next time. The breakfast come with cereal or waffle. The lobby has lots of activities so if you're looking for something to do, theres plenty here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Vail, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We booked two beds in a five-people-room and when we arrived there they didn't have space anymore, the good thing was that they gave us a double room so we stayed there alone. Bathrooms are clean and rooms are spacious. Breakfast was good for that price. The bad thing was all the city noise at night, we almost couldn't sleep, but you know, its L.A.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

The rooms look nothing like the pictures. It's a very old building with no AC. Do not stay there when it's hot!!! The bathrooms are just disgusting. They Are not even clean. I've never experience such an awful looking hotel. And mind you, I stayed in the most expensive room they have. The employee said was the best room they had.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel? Share your experiences!