“stay away from stay l.a.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel

You added Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel to your Saves list
Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   640 South Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90014 (Downtown)   |
San Salvador, El Salvador
“stay away from stay l.a.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

i chose this hotel because it was close to the fashion district where i needed to do some research. the room given to me was noisy, the phone and the tv didn't work, and their technician couldn't fix them. the red light message on the phone was alight during my whole stay. the internet connection was lousy and was cut even if you stay at their internet floor lounge.

the worst part was they charged my credit card twice. when i called them up to ask why, they said i was smoking in my room and they have pictures of me smoking in the room to prove it! do they have spy cameras in the rooms? btw, i'm a non-smoker! this hotel should be investigated.

it was only after many phone calls and emails that they agreed to credit back the $250.00 they overcharged. but i lost money because of the exchange rate and they wouldn't compensate. i've been asking for the last two weeks that the amount plus all the phone expenses (not to mention my time!) be credited to my credit card because i should not have been charged in the first place. they insist i should talk with my credit card company to get back the loss. so i should spend more time writing emails and making telephone calls to recoup $25.00 because of their fraudaulent act? i've not heard from them despite following up.

therefore, i'm warning anyone who intends to stay in this hotel: watch out and check your bill during check out and when you get your credit card bill. you could be the next victim.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

most people have put bad reviews on this hotel, made me second guess my stay..... however....

the cecil hotel was awesome and friendly, they helped with maps and directions, even googled stuff for us...

some people just expect too much so when they arrive, they get disappointed... it was safe, they had a 24hr security person!

i recommend anyone to stay here, they freakin ROCKED! oh, so did the coffee shop "marty" awesome.... :) :) :) :) :) :)

Room Tip: we stayed on the smokers floor, it didnt even smell like smoke, very clean, we also had a bathroom i...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

lTo begin, the Cecil Hotel may have been a very chic and glamorous hotel back in the day, but the decor now boasts that of an upgraded hostel set in the downtown Fashion District of Los Angeles. That being said, I really liked this hotel!

I have stayed at other hostels in Ecuador and Chicago, but this was, by far, the best one. The lobby of the hotel is very nice as can be seen from several pics on here. The hotel staff was very friendly, and they were bilingual (English and Spanish). They even practiced with me as I tried my Spanish a bit.

I reserved a queen bed with a bathroom for four nights ($69 a night with 4th night free), and for a place that I considered to be a hostel, it was great. The bed was a nice size and comfy, the closet was sufficient, the dresser had plenty of room for my clothes, and the bathroom was clean and filled with all my necessities. I didn't much care for only having a fan, but I know this is typical in LA. I liked being able to open the window to get a good breeze while I snoozed, but this was also a drawback because it was really noisy in the morning. Sirens usually woke me up before the alarm.

Like I said, the bathroom was neat and had all my necessities. One of my worst fears is having to sleep in a place with ROACHES! UGH! Luckily, I never saw one in this hotel, and I looked every day when I entered that bathroom. Do not expect to take a bath, though, because they have it set up so that you cannot do so.

I also paid attention to the shared bathrooms, and honestly, they didn't look that bad. Both the toilet and shower were in separate rooms that were singles. It's like they converted broom closets into one shower and one bathroom. Just take your stuff with you, and you're all set. They also looked very clean as I saw cleaning staff on the floors every morning.

As for Internet access, this can only be accessed in the lobby and the coffee shop, which only has access to Stay's router. The Cecil's access is open, but Stay needs a password, which is "stayh0tel". Notice that the "o" in hotel is actually a zero.

People mentioned how they noticed that some of the same people could be seen out front every day and night. Well, come to find out, they live there! I talked to one of the guys, who actually lives on one of the top floors and has been there for years. He just pays rent.

There is no parking for the hotel, but you can pay a daily rate at plenty of local lots that are not too expensive. I'm used to paying $20 or more a day in big cities like Chicago. You might be able to get away with $7 to $10 a day here. TIP: If you are staying here on the weekend. Look for free street parking at the meters. Just make sure to read the signs because many of them say no parking between 2am and 5am. Take a chance and park in the Fashion District one block behind the Hotel like I did. I had free parking all weekend.

Overall, this hotel is great for the budget-minded and those that want to meet other people from different countries because there were a lot of international travelers there.

Room Tip: If you stay here over the weekend, park in the Fashion District one block over. It's a little cr...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Cambria, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed in a double bed shared bathroom room, and it was fabulous! Very clean room, nice decorations, comfortable bed, nice and clean showers and toilets, safe area. The only thing I wasn't happy about is their "continental breakfast", which is just corn flakes with milk and cheap coffee. Other than that, it's great place to stay in downtown LA!

• Stayed August 2011
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

my boyfriend and i WOULD have rated this place a 9/10 if it wasn't for:

- CATCHING BED BUGS WHILE "STAY'ING THERE...
- PHONE DID NOT WORK, NO DIAL TONE DURING WHOLE VISIT...

at first this place seemed clean, the reps were friendly, the computers in the lobby were handy and it was decently private apart from shared restroom accommodations and over all we were happy with our decision to choose this particular location but as soon as we un-packed our bags after arriving back home (after our 7 day trip) we were EATEN alive by bedbugs... clearly picked them up from this disgusting place.

we would have been delighted to return to this location in the future but i am very disappointed to say that we will never step foot in this place unless it gets fumigated...
not only has our trip there cost us more money but it ruined a part of it...

good luck staying here. enjoy paying hundreds of dollars on pest control, and the headache of literally cleaning every spot of anything in your home...

absolute rubbish...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Halifax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Unless they renovated this place lately or something, I don't know what all the negative reviews are about.
I stayed in a room on the 7th floor with a private bathroom. It was great. Exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted a cheap place to stay in as I wasn't going to be hanging out at the hotel, except to sleep and shower.
The staff was friendly. The place was clean. I didn't see one bug.
The room was small, but it was just me so that was fine. There was a fairly large TV with quite a few channels as well. The ceiling fan was really good as well. All the towels and linens were clean.

Long story short, for about $48 per night for my own room with bathroom...I have no complaints at all! Nothing but praise really.

If you're looking for a central part of LA though, downtown is actually a little out of the way. Hollywood is much more central, but you'd have to pay more for that reason.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

This is not really a hostel, its really a hotel, it is linked to the hotel next door. The only hostel like thing is you have to share toilets and showers. The rooms are so nice, art decor is amazing, everything is so clean, tele and wifi in the rooms, free breakfast. This is the most amazing hostel/hotel I have ever been to, I loved it so much I didnt want to leave the room. I would have paid 3 times the amount I did it is exceptional value for money.

Room Tip: Amazing private rooms!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel? Share your experiences!