“Big disappointment!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel

You added Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel to your Saves list
Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   640 South Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90014 (Central L.A)   |
Churchill, Australia
“Big disappointment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The pictures of the lobby are lovely...but wait til you get in to the rooms. The first room the window didnt open and the overhead fan didnt work. So no air at all. I asked for another room on an upgrade and said I was prepared to pay for it as long as I had a better room. They gave me one but it was no better. The handbasin was IN the shower recess but at least had my own toilet. The fan though only worked when the light switch was on which wouldnt have been good for sleeping all thru the night. So I rang down to see if there was another room I could have but while I was talking to them the cord fell out from the handset so I went down in the very slow lift to the desk to talk directly to them. They gave me my third room and I kept my fingers crossed. BUT the power point was too loose to hold my cell phone charger in & it kept falling out. No chair to sit on. The fan worked but only on one speed (full on) and as the room is so small there wasnt any space to move the bed out a bit so I slept (?) with a sheet covering me to try to ease the blast of the fan. Weird cos this was the middle of summer. So in the morning I said I wasnt staying for the other 2 nights I'd paid for and asked for a refund but they said as I'd booked thru Expedia I would have to ask them. So I rang instead, the Ritz Milner, where I had stayed on another 2 visits and they luckily had a vacancy. Its not far (Sth Flower St) and I went there. But The Cecil is not a hotel..its only equivalent to a backpackers. If you want that then good but they misrepresent themselves with the pictures on their website. Its a very low class old place but if thats all your budget can cope with then stay there but be aware of the class of hotel it is! The location is OK and the area is quite good. Nothing to worry about. Just the rooms are so very different from their pictures on the website!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Witney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here for 9 nights before going to Coachella Festival 2011. It is truly a great place to saty. Very cheap, nice modern rooms that are cleaned daily, awesome showers, great layout, free use of high-speed internet, ok place to meet people.

Warning: There is an unadvertised deposit of like $50 which is a suprise when you arrive. There were some people not happy with this as backpackers can be tight on money.

They also have an xbox 360!! but they have pretty dodgy games for it. But Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 is still a decnt game.

I will go through the advertised amenities and comment on them:

-24hr reception - YES but after midnight (i think) you have to check-in at next-door hotel which is posher.

-24hr hot showers - not sure how this is an amenity!? however YES this claim is true. However we had the chepest rooms which aren't en-suite, so we had to walk a few metres in the hallway to the private shower room. No problem whatsoever though.

-Safety Deposit - YES they have lockers in reception with keys. They also keep your luggage for you in a locked room.

-Credit cards - Again i would expect this to be a requirement.

-Internet - YES but this is only available in reception and not in rooms. However i do remember using some WiFi in our room so i guess you could get lucky, i mean you are in LA downtown! But if you do not have your own WiFi Device they have 4 Macs in reception for use from 7am-11pm. These get pretty busy if there are backpackers here as they do hog them a fair amount. But overall this was a big plus on our stay.

-Washing Machines - YES but in next-door "posher" hotel. Accessible from the same lift. Dryeers also available.

-In-room ceiling fans - YES

-Complimentary breakfast - YES but at certain times which they will tell you. This was excellent but not much space to sit. But they had Tea/Coffee, Cereals/milk which was like cheerios/honey nut and porridge sachets.

-Xbox - YES as mentioned above.

-Onsite coffee shop - YES this is true. Next door is a nice cheapish coffee shop. A good place to chill-out and there was always a nice person working there.

Not many negatives about this stay. 1/2 nights we did hear people in next-door rooms. This is because the walls are a little thin.

Room Tip: Book early i guess...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is not for everyone.
If you want a cheap, small yet clean room for the weekend it will probably suit you fine.
The rooms were quite clean and I never saw any vermin or stains but the hallway smelled like smoke.
The service was lacking. We had to ask for extra pillows and sheets three times before they arrived.

Probably the most important note is that it is between the nicer part of LA and the sketchy part. So just be a bit more cautious.

• Stayed July 2011
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I got a Queen bed room with shared bath. And the room was basically that. Queen bed, private toilet, wash basin, queen bed, nice flat screen tv. There was no air conditioning in my room, but they did have a fan. Lucky that the shower room was right next to my room. As for wifi, while I was there they had some problems with the wifi in the lobby. They have 4 Macs in the lobby for internet access. While I was there only 2 worked. But not to worry as you can sit in the lift lobby and use Cecil Hotel's wifi. They are literally the same building but with different management. Breakfast is.. just cereal and milk. There's no kettle so if you're like me you'll need to buy bottled water. There's no fridge either. Other than that, the cheap price is really worth it. There is apparently a kitchen area on the 5th floor. Will definitely stay again, maybe in a private room next time. There's a bus stop right outside, quite convenient. 733 goes to Santa Monica, which is just awesome. It also goes to Union Station.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I checked into my room and immediately noticed NO electrical outlets - I asked the clerk for a room with electrical outlets and they told me there were none. I asked for a refund and they told me that CheapTickets.com had to give me one since I booked through them. I called Cheaptickets.com and they called the hotel - the hotel told them that there was 1 electrical outlet under/behind the bed and that I coud "crawl under the bed" to plug something in. I reminded them I was handicapped (I walk with assistance) and that I could not bend. They basically told me too bad and no transfer or refund! I went back to my room to pack and found that a hotel person had entered the room and went through my things. I reported to the clerk and security - still no refund! Don't Stay at this hotel - especially if you are disabled!!!!

Room Tip: No Electrical Outlets in the room or bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Very clean, tidy and modern hostel. Firendly staff, good locaton for downtown LA, although there is not a lot happening in downtown LA, Santa Monica and hollywood are the places to be.

If you book a PVT room with shower then hostel feels like a hotel. Breakfast is very basic but OK. Would stay again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Haarlem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I really enjoyed my time here (5 nights). I booked a bunk bed and got a room with 1 bunk bed all to myself. Nice decorations, big flat screen TV, ensuite toilet and sink and towels provided. I slept well every night despite being on the front side of the building.

Location is good too, yes there are homeless on the street but they are everywhere in LA so hard to avoid. I'm a female solo traveller and not once did I feel threatened. Bus stop is right outside the door, metro stop is walkable too.

Breakfast is just some cereal, so don't expect a lot. There is a coffeeshop in the building too which is convenient.

Staff was helpful and friendly to me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel? Share your experiences!