“tempting smells the minute you walk in” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tara's Himalayan Cuisine

Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
10855 Venice Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90034 (Westside)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #872 of 8,658 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Neighborhood: Westside
Neighborhood: Westside
Fairfield, Connecticut
“tempting smells the minute you walk in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We loved out dinner at Tara's. The smells were beautiful and the menu was outstanding. Great prices and quite the variety of food. The korma and the masala were delightful. Although I did not order it, I had heard from a close friend that the Yak Chili was amazing. Will def go back there when I am in town again.

Visited August 2011

Los Angeles, California
“Dont go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

after reading the la times review i went for the yak chili
"sorry sir we have none"
ok i'll try the deep fried eggplant (so thin and overcooked that the eggplant had no taste and could have been potatoe chips) cost $4.00
ok no yak chili I tried the chicken chili. (60 cents worth of way overcooked chicken breast with onions and green peppers, no sauce for the white rice that came with the chicken) $11.00 there are infinately more excellent restaurants for this kind of food
Try Al Watan at 136th and Inglewood

Fairfax, Virginia
“The food was good, service was better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We love trying new cuisines and had never experienced Nepali or Tibetan food before visiting Tara's.

The eggplant appetizer was mediocre: greasy deep-fried sliced eggplant covered with yogurt and a sweet tomato sauce.

Dinner was vastly better. Chicken and daal bhat masu was quite nice--complete meal with rice, chicken curry, mustard greens, daal (curried lentils), yogurt sauce.

Okra curry--like the eggplant appetizer--was oily and deep-fried. Chicken sekuwa, a Tibetan style curry, was well done.

Chai was excellent! But at $2 a cup, it would want to be.

The location, a broken down storefront near Culvert City didn't add to the experience. Overall an OK experience just to be able to say I've tried Nepali and Tibetan food, but I wish they'd bring their "A" game for each dish.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Ethnic Food, VERY REASONABLE Pricing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

This is my second foray into Nepalese food. First time was at a place in Madison, WI which happens to have TWO Nepalese restaurants located within about 2 blocks of each other downtown. I enjoyed it so well that I thought it would be fun to try this place. I stopped by on the way to LAX to pick up a red-eye back to Raleigh, NC. One thing about visiting LA for a business trip is that you NEVER run out of interesting and wonderful places to eat!

A friend and I ordered the Yak chili and an eggplant dish for appetizers and split it (see photos). I just had to try that Yak chili. Tasted somewhat reminiscent of buffalo, but maybe a bit tougher. The flavors were really amazing though! The eggplant was similarly tasty and was topped with tomatoes and other veggies.

I had the lamb kabob for my entree. It came on a sizzler platter along w/ tomatoes, onions, peppers, and other stuff. VERY aromatic, nicely spiced. It was very enjoyable.

I finished up with an order of Mango Kheer. I was expecting there to be slices of mango on it, but apparently it had been pureed and mixed in. It was good, but pretty much like the standard Kheer that you would get at any Indian place.

Speaking of which -- there were a LOT of carryovers from what I would call 'typical' Indian cuisine here. I know that Nepalese and Indian are similar, but there was more carry over than I expected and definitely more than the other Nepalese places that I have been. That's not a bad thing, just something worth mentioning.

Service was good. The owner (Tara) came out and talked to us a while and asked about the food. She seemed very engaged in overall ops and was nice to talk to as well. I will definitely head back here again next time I am near LAX!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere