“Nicest bar I've ever seen. No question. Full stop.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Edison

The Edison
108 W. 2nd st. #101, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Downtown)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Edison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #149 of 7,958 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Main St.
North America
“Nicest bar I've ever seen. No question. Full stop.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Worth going just to see the history and interior design. No question, it's beautiful and elegant. A nice mix of crowds, and great security. Had no issues getting in, and had a very memorable time. Will absolutely visit again the next time in LA.

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Crestline, California
“Terrible, Awful Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I must begin with this: The Edison is an amazing place with over-the-top decor and ambiance. Walking in, the giant screens flickering film noir reminiscent of the 1920s, the gaslamp feel of the electric lights, and the well-themed decor, I was stunned and impressed. However, there were significant issues with ability to book the restaurant and with the overall service.

When I tried to book the restaurant on Open Table, it noted that there were no times available for the next 31 days. I had to call the restaurant personally to get a table. Now, I must preface this with the fact that the word "restaurant" is a misnomer in the case of the Edison. This is a nightclub/bar. It has live entertainment, a red rope with people checking ID out front (even at 5pm), a cover minimum per person, and small tables not meant for entrees to fit on them. The menu is impressive and the food excellent, but this is not a restaurant exactly.

That said, upon arriving, our party of 4 was sat upon short stools around two 20" diameter tables in a dark corner facing a wall. The waitress took a while to arrive and handed us a list of cocktails. We asked for menus. She handed us 2. We asked for an additional 2 menus for the rest of our party and she frowned and left. It was incredibly rude and a bad start. She returned with 2 more menus, looking clearly confused why we wanted menus. After giving us menus, she did not return for 15 minutes. When she finally did return we ordered a couple cocktails and asked for a wine list before ordering food. She took another 10 minutes to return with a wine list. We ordered a $100 bottle of Justin Isosceles which we learned was not in stock. She offered us a $140 dollar bottle of wine instead, not attempting to find something of similar price or varietal. We ordered dinner and struggled to fit 4 entrees on the tiny tables. The service was condescending and inattentive. The overall wait time was ridiculous, as the meal took nearly 2 hours for what should have taken half that time. This is not a pre-theater restaurant. This is a nightclub with food. However, the food was great, the atmosphere was amazing, and overall, the waitress became more accommodating after we ordered a $140 dollar bottle of wine.

• Visited June 2013
“Slick Night Club”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very cool design and smooth atmosphere in this place. Old electricity plant with artsy projections. Great cocktails and burlesque show. On the edge of downtown where you might dont want stroll to far in the wrong direction (i.e heading towards Los angeles street).

• Visited January 2013
Tampa, Florida
“A Place Like No Other”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I attended a corporate special event here while in LA. It is simply amazing! There are so many facets to the decor, nooks and crannies where people can meet for conversation, a great dance floor and raised bandstand and a fast, friendly wait staff. I would love to return to this place.

Visited April 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“What a beautiful glamorous bar/restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was in awe as I walked down the stairs into the open restaurant/bar. The decor is beautiful, with little nooks and crannies everywhere, all done in a 20's or 30's theme...luxurious...I can't describe how beautiful it is...the food was great and I just wish I had gone when the crowds were there, each time I have been it has been quiet however I hear it goes off and gets packed. The silent movies on the wall are fantastic...just beautiful...BEAUTIFUL!

• Visited February 2013