“Fantasy-land and more!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Los Alamos B&B and Inns
LOS ANGELES
“Fantasy-land and more!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Based on previous reviews, we booked at The Vick for our first anniversary. Los Alamos is a sleepy town but quite close to the wine regions of Los Olivos and only about 2.5 hours from Los Angeles. We were told that we could try 2 rooms durting our 3 night stay, but because we needed to change our dates of stay quite close to our arrival date, we were not able to stay 2 days in any one room and were able to try out 3 rooms!! What a treat as we were able to stay in France, Egypt and with gypsies for a night each. Each of the suites was unique and all were very large, covering more square footage than the average large hotel room. The themes of the rooms were witnessed in furnishings, murals, games, videos, sound effects etc and each was special. The hot tubs in each room were very large and deep and needed to be negotiated with some care but were very relaxing and fun. The bathrooms were a bit crowded in the sink area for 2 people to use simultaneously, but that's about all the negative I can muster about our stay. The staff was terrific and the breakfasts were large, varied and delicious. It was romantic and private and we loved every minute!!! The French Room's bed was in a loft space and required us to ascend a circular staircase to reach the main level of the suite and the bathroom. It was charming and absolutely seemed as though we were in an artist's apartment with realistic murals of balloonists and sites of Paris on the ceilings and walls and an easel with oil paints available for our fantasy. The Egyptian Room had the most gorgeous 4 poster bed on an elevated platform and harem tented roof and a bath entered through a golden sacrophagus!! The Gypsy Room's walls were covered wsith the 4 seasons and we slept in a gypsy's caravan bed. Our only regret was the inability to experience the additional 3 rooms....but that will be done on future visits.

Room Tip: Look at the photos on the website. The French Room is on the top floor and there are no elevators a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked the Egyptian Room for 2 nights for my husband's birthday. We loved it! It was very
luxurious and comfortable. Most importantly for me, it was easier to access the bathroom
in the middle of the night (since I get up a lot) than most of the other rooms. Since we were
first to arrive, we got a tour of all the other rooms before they were occupied. Fun to see,
but glad we booked the Egyptian Room. Would not have wanted to be on the third floor
since there is no elevator. We only had to lug our suitcases up to the second floor. Dinner
was great at Flatbread in town-- good pizza and salads.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first or second floor if you have a difficult time with stairs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a great stay here on our recent californian road trip. What was supposed to be a quick stopover turned into one of the most memorable nights of our trip. All the rooms looked great fun - we were in the gypsy room and it was nearly impossible to leave the hot tub. Rod, the owner, was a delight to meet, gave us wonderful recommendations for the rest of our trip (thanks) and his enthusiasm for his this project was infectious - good luck building the boat room (or should I say the room boat), when it's ready we'll be back for the grand opening.

Great location for exploring the wine region and make sure you pop across the road to 'Full of Life' pizza place - great food and good fun.

Sylmar, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Had an absolute blast at The Vick and would return in a heart beat. I had met Innkeeper Rod several years ago and had been graciously shown one of the themed rooms. So when choosing a vacation spot this year, my memory led me to Los Alamos. We stayed in the Gypsy Room and it was right up our alley! And Rod was incredibly hospitable and fun. Highly recommend.

Shadow Hills, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I grew up in the Santa Maria area but just discovered the Vick while planning a 25th anniversary get-a-way with my husband. It had been years since I spent any time in Los Alamos and we had fun wandering the little town, poking into shops and eating (plenty of fun restaurants!). What made the experience the best of our 4-day weekend, however, was the Vick. We were lucky to obtain the Eqyptian Suite, although we peeked into others and they were all delightful. The fact that the suite (and the Vick) are two decades old defies the evidence of your eyes - The Vick seems new and fresh and lovingly cared-for. The TV was a little hard to see from the bed, but fine from other parts of the room. We had the delicious breakfast on our little porch and loved every bite. The staff was solicitous, and thorough, but once we were settled, left us alone to enjoy ourselves. I think my husband took 50 photographs. Photos do not do it justice, however, as the rooms are BETTER than the photos. It's a grand location and a great stay.

Room Tip: Eqyptian and French suites have little balconies.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Let me say right off the bat that we are not "theme" people. My husband and I eschew Disneyland and roll our eyes at all things kitsch. So I hesitated to book a room at the Victorian Mansion, in all its themed glory. Boy, am I glad I went for it! We had an incredible (kitsch-free) visit and made memories that will last long after we've drained our final bottle of Santa Ynez Valley wine.

STAFF
Rod, the proprietor, and his team are exactly what you want in the folks running your B&B: thoughtful, charming, and extremely attentive to your needs. I'm lactose intolerant and I made a note of it in my online reservation. I also called the Vick after booking to add a wine tour to our room package. A staff member called back immediately to confirm my package and my lactose-free breakfast. Then Rod personally called to ask exactly what I can and cannot eat (my own mother isn’t so attentive) and to arrange the wine tour with me. Customer service & attention to quality food both go a long way with me, and Rod hit it out of the park. Throughout our stay, we were delighted to receive consistent polite attention to our wellbeing, including regular check-ins on the comfort of our room and candid restaurant reviews.

THE ROOM
We had the Pirate Suite, but we got to take a tour of all the other suites too, because we were the first to arrive for the weekend. I have to say – I am blown away by the design of the place. They’re not kidding about the 200 artisans taking 10 years to create it. Our coffee table was made from AN ACTUAL CANNON. We were a little tripped out at first by how much we felt like we were on a boat. We may have run around saying things like “Pass the Charrrrrdonnay!” There may have been an invisible-sword fight. I couldn’t say.

THE HOT TUB
OMG the hot tub – your own PRIVATE in-room hot tub - is OFF THE HOOK.

THE FOOD
The breakfast was delicious (especially the pastries), and Rod is extremely responsive to special food requests. Plus, the breakfast comes straight to your room via dumbwaiter (yes, I said dumbwaiter), so a person could, conceivably, sit in the hot tub drinking coffee and eating croissant. Theoretically.

WINE TOUR
Rod offers several special packages – we did the Wine Lover’s Package and he arranged a wine tour for us. We were picked up in a private car (Escalade!) with one other couple, and every aspect of the tour was an absolute delight. You should seriously buy this package. Right now. Don’t drink and drive, people! Get a driver & an Escalade!

LOS ALAMOS
OK, there is not much cookin’ in Los Alamos. But between the two fantastic little tasting rooms down the street and a couple restaurants, we were satisfied. Just know that you are going to be in a tiny town.

STUFF TO KNOW
The Vick is truly unique and very quirky. You are not checking into a Doubletree or a Hilton here. You are stepping into a fantasy theme room and while this offers a world of special features, there are some limitations and every room is different. The Pirate Room is a little dark; I needed to open the stained-glass window during the day to let in some daylight. The Paris Room has a set of spiral stairs to the bed. I’d find that a challenge at night, but for some it’s the height of romance (so to speak). I recommend calling ahead to ask about the individual rooms and being specific about your preferences. If you like a lot of light, or to watch a lot of movies on the TV, for example, they can probably tell you which room is best for you. If you want to play Pirate-and-Damsel-in-Distress, that’s your business, but they can hook you up with the ship.

BOTTOM LINE
You’ve never stayed anywhere like this and it’s a little cuckoo-bananas ~ in a cozy, quirky, peaceful, romantic, awesome kind of way. Rod’s incredibly nice, so just call him if you have any questions or hesitations and he’ll take care of you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Surprised my husband for his birthday and sure enough i cant wipe that big grin off his face!!!we booked the egytian suite and everything was just superb!!we are looking forward to stay in all the other themed rooms in the future!!:)

• Stayed May 2012

Been to The Victorian Mansion at Los Alamos? Share your experiences!