“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Los Alamos B&B and Inns
Sylmar, California, United States
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Had an absolute blast at The Vick and would return in a heart beat. I had met Innkeeper Rod several years ago and had been graciously shown one of the themed rooms. So when choosing a vacation spot this year, my memory led me to Los Alamos. We stayed in the Gypsy Room and it was right up our alley! And Rod was incredibly hospitable and fun. Highly recommend.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Shadow Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I grew up in the Santa Maria area but just discovered the Vick while planning a 25th anniversary get-a-way with my husband. It had been years since I spent any time in Los Alamos and we had fun wandering the little town, poking into shops and eating (plenty of fun restaurants!). What made the experience the best of our 4-day weekend, however, was the Vick. We were lucky to obtain the Eqyptian Suite, although we peeked into others and they were all delightful. The fact that the suite (and the Vick) are two decades old defies the evidence of your eyes - The Vick seems new and fresh and lovingly cared-for. The TV was a little hard to see from the bed, but fine from other parts of the room. We had the delicious breakfast on our little porch and loved every bite. The staff was solicitous, and thorough, but once we were settled, left us alone to enjoy ourselves. I think my husband took 50 photographs. Photos do not do it justice, however, as the rooms are BETTER than the photos. It's a grand location and a great stay.

Room Tip: Eqyptian and French suites have little balconies.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Let me say right off the bat that we are not "theme" people. My husband and I eschew Disneyland and roll our eyes at all things kitsch. So I hesitated to book a room at the Victorian Mansion, in all its themed glory. Boy, am I glad I went for it! We had an incredible (kitsch-free) visit and made memories that will last long after we've drained our final bottle of Santa Ynez Valley wine.

STAFF
Rod, the proprietor, and his team are exactly what you want in the folks running your B&B: thoughtful, charming, and extremely attentive to your needs. I'm lactose intolerant and I made a note of it in my online reservation. I also called the Vick after booking to add a wine tour to our room package. A staff member called back immediately to confirm my package and my lactose-free breakfast. Then Rod personally called to ask exactly what I can and cannot eat (my own mother isn’t so attentive) and to arrange the wine tour with me. Customer service & attention to quality food both go a long way with me, and Rod hit it out of the park. Throughout our stay, we were delighted to receive consistent polite attention to our wellbeing, including regular check-ins on the comfort of our room and candid restaurant reviews.

THE ROOM
We had the Pirate Suite, but we got to take a tour of all the other suites too, because we were the first to arrive for the weekend. I have to say – I am blown away by the design of the place. They’re not kidding about the 200 artisans taking 10 years to create it. Our coffee table was made from AN ACTUAL CANNON. We were a little tripped out at first by how much we felt like we were on a boat. We may have run around saying things like “Pass the Charrrrrdonnay!” There may have been an invisible-sword fight. I couldn’t say.

THE HOT TUB
OMG the hot tub – your own PRIVATE in-room hot tub - is OFF THE HOOK.

THE FOOD
The breakfast was delicious (especially the pastries), and Rod is extremely responsive to special food requests. Plus, the breakfast comes straight to your room via dumbwaiter (yes, I said dumbwaiter), so a person could, conceivably, sit in the hot tub drinking coffee and eating croissant. Theoretically.

WINE TOUR
Rod offers several special packages – we did the Wine Lover’s Package and he arranged a wine tour for us. We were picked up in a private car (Escalade!) with one other couple, and every aspect of the tour was an absolute delight. You should seriously buy this package. Right now. Don’t drink and drive, people! Get a driver & an Escalade!

LOS ALAMOS
OK, there is not much cookin’ in Los Alamos. But between the two fantastic little tasting rooms down the street and a couple restaurants, we were satisfied. Just know that you are going to be in a tiny town.

STUFF TO KNOW
The Vick is truly unique and very quirky. You are not checking into a Doubletree or a Hilton here. You are stepping into a fantasy theme room and while this offers a world of special features, there are some limitations and every room is different. The Pirate Room is a little dark; I needed to open the stained-glass window during the day to let in some daylight. The Paris Room has a set of spiral stairs to the bed. I’d find that a challenge at night, but for some it’s the height of romance (so to speak). I recommend calling ahead to ask about the individual rooms and being specific about your preferences. If you like a lot of light, or to watch a lot of movies on the TV, for example, they can probably tell you which room is best for you. If you want to play Pirate-and-Damsel-in-Distress, that’s your business, but they can hook you up with the ship.

BOTTOM LINE
You’ve never stayed anywhere like this and it’s a little cuckoo-bananas ~ in a cozy, quirky, peaceful, romantic, awesome kind of way. Rod’s incredibly nice, so just call him if you have any questions or hesitations and he’ll take care of you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Surprised my husband for his birthday and sure enough i cant wipe that big grin off his face!!!we booked the egytian suite and everything was just superb!!we are looking forward to stay in all the other themed rooms in the future!!:)

• Stayed May 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

This was our first getaway together in 6 years and we couldn't have picked a better place! The rooms are amazing and perfect for that special time with your significant other, the staff is fantastic, and the little town is endearing! I honestly can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2012
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed four nights in July. Because the Egyptian Room, which we had reserved, was not available because of a water leak. We stayed two nights in the Gypsy Room, one night in the French Room, and one night in the Pirates Room. The craftsmanship of each room is very high. The staff is friendly and helpful. However we experienced several negatives. The B&B has no television so we missed the Opening Ceremonies and first days of the Olympics. The Gypsy and Pirates Rooms are so dark that after sunset it is impossible to read in the rooms. The staff provided a lamp after we requested one. So we huddled around a lamp to read. There are no chairs in the Gypsy and Pirates Rooms so you have to sit on the floor to eat--this is style over comfort. There are wooden benches but they are not comfortable. The Pirates Room has no wi-fi so we had sit in the hallway on the floor to connect to email and to work as the B&B has no common area. The breakfasts are just average. We drove into Santa Barbara one day to have a good breakfast. We found the rooms interesting to look at but uncomfortable to live in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
thevick, Owner at The Victorian Mansion at Los Alamos, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
We appreciate the time you took to provide feedback about your experience at the Victorian Mansion. I am sorry that your stay was disappointing. We really strive to make our guest's stay exceptional in every way, and really take it to heart when we fall short of that goal.

I would like to address the negatives you reference in your review. First, we are different than your typical hotel or bed and breakfast. Our suites are custom designed to create an immersive experience of fantasy and romance and unfortunately do not provide some amenities that are present in larger hotels which would detract from that experience, such as desks or standard tables and chairs.

Televisions: Our suites are equipped with LCD/TV monitors and DVD players with theme movies. Unfortunately, our small town does not have broadcast or cable television and we chose not to destroy the outside appearance of our 1864 Victorian with 6 satellite TV antennas on the roof. While it has not been an issue with most of our guests, we are attempting to address this situation with new technology so that guests who really want to watch television will be able to do so.

Impossible to Read: Our suites are designed with romantic lighting that guests can adjust to suit their preference (e.g. making the suite lighter or darker). However, as you have pointed out, some suites are not brightly lit in all areas of the suite. However, there are reading lights above the headboards on the beds, bright lights above the love seats (in the suites that have love seats), and we provide additional reading lamps if guests want more light - as we did with you. And we would have been happy to provide another reading lamp if asked.

Chairs: Once again, our bed and breakfast is different than your typical hotel or bed and breakfast. Each suite has seating, however, the original design of the theme suites encouraged guests to have breakfast around the themed coffee table. As we did with you, we also offer to provide a standard table and chairs if a guest would like more traditional seating.

Breakfast: I am sorry that you found our breakfast just average. We take great pride in our micro-roasted coffees and handmade baked goods, quiche, and strata. Your comment was surprising given that we have been asked by guests to ship our quiche and strata to them since prior to tasting ours, they never liked quiche or strata. But I am sorry that the breakfast that was served to you was less than what you had hoped for.

Wi-Fi: All of our suites have access to our wireless Wi-Fi network. I am not sure why one of the 3 suites you stayed in did not have access. We will definitely look into it and remedy the situation. We also offer a plug in option to our guests if their computers are unable to access our wireless network.

Egyptian Suite: As you mentioned, the suite you originally booked (the Egyptian Suite) was not available due to a water leak. However, we called you as soon as the situation arose (i.e. a week prior to your stay) to discuss the situation and provided you with a complimentary Romance Package upgrade and complimentary mimosas for the inconvenience.

There is no denying that the Victorian Mansion is a bed and breakfast that is rich with unique personality and craftsmanship. We tried our best to accommodate your needs, including allowing you to switch suites twice during your stay so that you and your daughter (who was staying in another suite) could experience the different theme suites. Many people love the features that make the Vick special and there are a few who prefer a traditional hotel experience and that is okay - we are just glad you tried us out.

Once again, we are sorry that your stay was less than perfect. We are all about the experience and strive to continually improve upon that experience. We will take your comments into consideration and address the issues you have raised to the extent we can so that the experience for our future guests is even better.

The Victorian Mansion Team
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

So fun and romantic at the same time. Great food and wine in the area as well. Check out their website! It is in the town o Los Alamos. Super super small but very cool for a night away. I took my husband for a surprise bday celebration. He loved it!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Victorian Mansion at Los Alamos? Share your experiences!